XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Manual Fan or Electric Fans which is best and why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,814 Likes on 2,641 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
was talking with a Mercedes tech, he said M/B hasnt used a mechanical fan in 25 years!

course M/B dont know much about cars!! LOL,LOL.
Hi Ron

I'm going to try out the efans and see how it goes.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Talking about MB, isn't their typical set up two small pushers in front of the condenser and one big puller blind the radiator? All electric, obviously?

The following 2 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
orangeblossom (08-11-2016), ronbros (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Interesting debate. I'm glad that no one dragged out the 'electric fans saves horsepower' myth. I have my other foot in the old Corvette hobby where this false idea always gets dragged out for regular beatings.

The coolant gauge indication after engine shutdown is a result of normal heat soakback once the coolant stops recirculating and has nothing to do with fan type or it's power source. Most cars actually achieve the highest coolant temp peak after shutdown and not while running. If there's a weakness in the system, that's when it will show up.

mikey, most heat soak is from the much hotter oil in the crankcase, heat rises upward!

how would you deal with 250/300F oil that could easily boil coolant out of system vents,(like pressure cap not holding pressure).

its quite common when things are just to hot to handle , once coolant is out you have to refill ,,(not recommended on a hot engine).

would you run your vette without a fan shroud in traffic on a hot day?

Last edited by ronbros; 08-11-2016 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Talking about MB, isn't their typical set up two small pushers in front of the condenser and one big puller blind the radiator? All electric, obviously?
i agree you should hear it when all fans are at full output, in a parking lot, idling slowly, and its 105F ambient!

exatcly why M/B is looking for a better way to cool things.

The following 2 users liked this post by ronbros:
orangeblossom (08-11-2016), Spikepaga (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

i agree you should hear it when all fans are at full output, in a parking lot, idling slowly, and its 105F ambient!

exatcly why M/B is looking for a better way to cool things.
But it does work, right ? I mean, it does keep the cars cool. Personally I don't care about the turbine noise if it's going to keep A/C cold in stop and go traffic at 110 degrees.

The following 2 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
orangeblossom (08-11-2016), ronbros (08-12-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

mikey, most heat soak is from the much hotter oil in the crankcase, heat rises upward!

how would you deal with 250/300F oil that could easily boil coolant out of system vents,(like pressure cap not holding pressure).

its quite common when things are just to hot to handle , once coolant is out you have to refill ,,(not recommended on a hot engine).

would you run your vette without a fan shroud in traffic on a hot day?
The oil never gets as hot as the pistons, cylinders, cylinder heads etc. etc, at least when the engine is running. Much like the coolant, oil temps rise after engine shutdown also due to the soakback. In some cases (not on XJS) the oil temp can exceed the capacity of most conventional oils and synthetic must be used in it's place to avoid coking.

Gas turbine engines (my background) suffer from the same effect.

Not sure what that has to do with fan shrouds.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:28 PM
Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Rhett

We don't get your kind of Temps in the UK average about 20/c but even so I've decided to fit efans, or at least try them out and see how they go.

I've also got a back up plan, with a New Mechanical Fan standing by, just in case it doesn't work out.
I'm in Northern California, so not so hot as other places in the U.S. but the traffic here is terrible. No matter where you go or what time on any particular day, gridlock is a strong possibility; which is why electric fans seemed so attractive. As it is, the efans don't seem any more or less effective than my stock system which was working fine. Idle seems smoother in traffic and the engine feels slightly more free reving but that could be my imagination. The myth about fuel economy improving does seem to be just that.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,814 Likes on 2,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhett
I'm in Northern California, so not so hot as other places in the U.S. but the traffic here is terrible. No matter where you go or what time on any particular day, gridlock is a strong possibility; which is why electric fans seemed so attractive. As it is, the efans don't seem any more or less effective than my stock system which was working fine. Idle seems smoother in traffic and the engine feels slightly more free reving but that could be my imagination. The myth about fuel economy improving does seem to be just that.
Hi Rhett

As my XJS is not my daily driver @ £1 for every 2 miles!

I tend to stay away from Traffic Jams and go for Scenic drives out in the Country, where the Mechanical Fan on my Grey XJS was more than enough to keep the Engine Cool and never went more than 1/4 way up the Temperature Slider.

Except the Fan on my red XJS had started to get some Stress Cracks in the Mechanical Fan and as I am fitting a New Re-cored Rad, didn't want to risk the Fan breaking up.

Since I couldn't get hold of a 'deep dish fan' I felt I had no choice but go electric and got a pair of efans from an XJ40 V12.

So since I've made a Frame to fit them, I thought that I may as well give them a try to see how they perform and then do a comparison between the two different set ups.

But 'Sods Law' being what it is, I've now got a 'deep dish fan' as well, so in the event that the efan, doesn't work for me, then I can always do a swap back to Mechanical.