XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Manual or V12

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts

When I bought my first V12 XJS I opened the Bonnet/Hood and thought what have I done!

Intimidating was not the word for it and used to have me thinking, if it goes wrong then I'm screwed, as there isn't a Cat's chance in hell that I'll be able to fix it.

But you don't learn anything when things go right, only when they go wrong, so after changing the Spark Plugs, which only took me 3 days! (Lol)

Taking off the Fuel Rail and cleaning the Injectors, then putting it all back together only to find the Fuel Filter was blocked and then the Fuel Pump packed up.

During which time the FPR also went on the 'blink'

You suddenly start to realize its not that complicated after all.

Only the First Time you do it.

None of which would have been possible without all the expert help that I have received from Greg and Grant.

I'd hardly picked up a Spanner before but unless you're prepared to fix it yourself, then its going to cost you a fortune to own and maintain one.

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
cat_as_trophy (06-19-2017), ronbros (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

just maybe i'm different from most other people!

when i was 15yrs old i bought my 1st car(1949 summer) a 1934 Ford roadster, i had it about a month and took it all apart, front mudguards off, runnin boards off, chopped the rears.

well winter comes and i'm bored ,out with the engine , into the warm basement, had that V8 all apart on the floor(Dad not happy)! but he asked how did i know how to take the car and engine apart,my answer, i dont know i just do! 15yrs old.

been that way all my life , never ever let a machine put together by another person stop me, i just said to myself, if they can put it together , i can take it apart!

NOW putting things back together was a little more interesting, but i'm blessed with a photographic memory, i look at pieces and picture it in my minds eye, finished!

as time went by i started to get books and read more about modifing and have never looked back!

V12 Jag, piece of cake, 700R4 trans. piece of cake, diff LSD, change ratio same!

i have owned over 100 cars , never felt intimidated, only thing ever slowed me down was MONEY and girls!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-19-2017)