XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Might be picking up a 90 XJS V12, looking for thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by havoc3d
Won't be getting it. Apparently the owner had someone out a day or two before me that seemed to be a very knowledgeable Jag guy and offered $7k on it. Hope he has fun with it.

As for the roof, supercharged, I did actually put the roof up and down, but with no switch it was a by-hand situation.

I've done some looking at closed listings on ebay and 5k seems to be pretty fair for what he had. 7500 seems like it would get you a much nicer one.

Oh well. Won't need a car for a year + anyway. We'll see what I end up with.

That was good news for you. Take the time and find a good example for the long haul. These are beautiful/fun cars and you really need to take your time when buying one.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

I will have to agree with the advice given for the 6 cylinder version. I am a fanatic for the V12. They don't scare me, and even though I don't have money to throw around, I don't "need" the car either. If it isn't working, it simply is driveway jewelry. Having now owned at least 6 V12 XJSs, and one V12 XKE, I feel very comfortable doing all of my own work on them. I've rebuilt 2 V12s, so I don't find them all that perplexing. BUT! It has been a years long learning curve, and the older I get, the more precious time is, and the enjoyment of driving a car greater than working on a hope of a better day, lol. Missed a great drive this weekend with my club, while turning wrenches all day yesterday. Took me at least 6 hours to put the left side manifolds back on, including all of the heat shields, air cleaner housing, hoses, and exhaust system. Something as simple as the exhaust manifold nuts that hold the downpipes on can try a mans patience big time. New starter gets here Monday (I hope) and the adventure of the right side begins, lol.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Having just purchased my first XJS, I was in a similar situation as you. My best advice echos others: buy the BEST car that you can afford. Spending more upfront with one of these seems to save you a lot more on the back end. Also, don't be afraid to widen your search radius. Although I'm in Chicago, the perfect XJS (XJSC actually, the rare cabriolet model) ended up being in California (see below). Depending on the shipping method you choose, it's not necessarily cost prohibitive. And with rust being such a substantial problem on these cars, it makes the case to look outside the Rustbelt even stronger.

Also, just a reality check with costs, the previous owner spent over $9k in the last 12 months on regular work. And this was on a regularly driven car, well maintained car; she was the original owner and drove it at least once a month since 1987. $6k of that was just to overhaul the brake system, including a new master cylinder. And that was labor at a reasonable indy rate. So I don't want to rain on your parade either, but just go in with your eyes wide open.

I also wouldn't consider this for a daily driver, but I have a 100mi commute each day so my situation is a bit different than yours.

If I may make one final suggestion, read Kirby Palm's XJS "Bible." Every owner should read it (or at least the highlights), and, if you can, do so before buying your car- you'll be ahead of the game.

If this forum hasn't scared you away, you'll be alright. Just take your time and find the best car you can. I looked for over a year.

Attached Thumbnails Might be picking up a 90 XJS V12, looking for thoughts.-xjsc-picked-up.jpg