XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

missing fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts
Default missing fuse?

So im troubleshooting my electric fan and i think im missing a fuse? help me out.

The WHITE fuse box is supposed says it has a 4 amp and 10a. The 10 being for the radiator fan.

Fantastic i said! went to put a 10a fuse in and there isn't any wires connecting to that spot in the fuseblock!!

what gives? Am i missing something here?

btw my fan runs when connected to power, the fuse is good and the relay is new. can the temp sensor be hooked up backwards possibly? I replaced the water pump so maybe that isn't plugged in the correct way.

anyhow wtf? My jaguar manual says a red 10a fuse goes in the white fuse box.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,873 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
So im troubleshooting my electric fan and i think im missing a fuse? help me out.

The WHITE fuse box is supposed says it has a 4 amp and 10a. The 10 being for the radiator fan.

Fantastic i said! went to put a 10a fuse in and there isn't any wires connecting to that spot in the fuseblock!!

what gives? Am i missing something here?

Just to clarify, you're talking about the fuse box in the engine bay, left side, correct? On my '88 the aux radiator fan fuse was in the #1 (forward most) position of that fuse box. I don't recall what color the fuse box was

btw my fan runs when connected to power, the fuse is good and the relay is new.

I thought you just said you couldn't even find a place to put the fuse?

can the temp sensor be hooked up backwards possibly? I replaced the water pump so maybe that isn't plugged in the correct way.

It's just an open/closed switch. Polarity shouldn't matter

Cheers
DD

Old 09-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Just to clarify, you're talking about the fuse box in the engine bay, left side, correct? On my '88 the aux radiator fan fuse was in the #1 (forward most) position of that fuse box. I don't recall what color the fuse box was

I thought you just said you couldn't even find a place to put the fuse?

It's just an open/closed switch. Polarity shouldn't matter

Cheers
DD

I meant the inline fuse on the red wire coming directly from the fan is good.

All the fuses in the black fuse box appear fine and they are all either for the lights or the horn.

The white box has the number 1 as a 4a heated washer jets and the second as the 10a radiator fan. The third is a UK only light fuse.

How can test that switch while its in the car without a multimeter?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
I meant the inline fuse on the red wire coming directly from the fan is good.

Ah, Ok!

All the fuses in the black fuse box appear fine and they are all either for the lights or the horn.

The white box has the number 1 as a 4a heated washer jets and the second as the 10a radiator fan. The third is a UK only light fuse.

Interesting. I remember (perhaps nicorrectly) my 88 having only a single engine bay fuse box and the 1989 cars having the two fuse boxes. I'll try to do more reseach later when I get home

How can test that switch while its in the car without a multimeter?

Not easily. First you have to get the coolant temp high enough (94ºC as I recall) for the switch to operate then you'd need at least a self power continuity checker (only a couple dollars) to see if it actually DOES close.

An alternative is to remove the switch wires and jump them together. If the e-fan works now, but doesn't work when the engine is above 94ºC, it can't be anything but the switch

Cheers
DD

Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

To correct my earlier remarks.....

I pulled out my '88 wiring diagrams and it does indeed show two fuse boxes, white and black, in the engine bay.

However, my diagrams vary from yours. Mine show horn and cooling fan being on the #1 fuse of the black fuse box.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

To correct my earlier remarks.....

I pulled out my '88 wiring diagrams and it does indeed show two fuse boxes, white and black, in the engine bay.

However, my diagrams vary from yours. Mine show horn and cooling fan being on the #1 fuse of the black fuse box.

Cheers
DD
either way all my fuses are good in the black and white box and my horn works (but didn't until i replaced that fuse).

managed to finally find some wires to cut up to use for testing.
Fan works plugged directly into 12v power.
Fan works plugged in after in-line fuse.
Fan works when powered at relay.

My first thought was seriously?? The relay?

Btw this whole time i have the wires going to the water pump switch hooked together with a fuse.

Then I used a line to jump the power through the wires feeding to the relay and it worked.

This leads me to believe the relay is faulty, something i didn't assume because it was my FIRST diagnosis and after replacing it with a new one it still didn't work.

Is there anything else this could be? Until winter I plan on just wiring straight through and forgetting the relay for now.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

well crud, thought i could just straight wire and by pass the relay but apparently it has constant power, i figured it would come on with the ignition.

Is there anything else that could be causing this besides the relay?

Again the switch is wired together so it should be telling the relay to turn of the fan on right?

Old 09-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Could be the diode pack.

Do you have a set of schematics in front of you? It'll be a lot easier to explain how to test the diode pack if you do

Cheers
DD

Old 09-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Could be the diode pack.

Do you have a set of schematics in front of you? It'll be a lot easier to explain how to test the diode pack if you do

Cheers
DD
Where is the diode pack?

I KIND of do. I have a whole book of them but i can't find the right one. I finally found what i thought was the right one and it said the horn relay was where the fan relay is and vice versa.

It also said the diode pack is underneath that or alongside the 2 fuse boxes but it isn't....

Old 09-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

On my '88 the diode pack was near the fuses boxes and was light blue....looked like a relay.

Any signs that a previous owner has monkeyed around with the wiring?

Are you sure you have an '88 and not an '89? The e-fan circuit was changed for '89 MY cars....along with the relay layouts. Try looking at an '89 diagram (go to Captain Jaguar web site) and see if things match up more closely

Cheers
DD

Old 09-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

okay so i removed the diode pack and wired it so the fan comes on with the ignition. The car definitely took longer to warm up, fine ill wait a bit. But it finally came up to temp and continued to go and sit at the top of the N. What gives?

Even if there were something else wrong in my cooling system this is what my car was doing before and now it has a new clutch and the electric fan is running and it didn't cause the temp to drop??

Wtf gives?