XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

My 92 XJS Conv Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are right JT, it is a broken record, your distain for what I am doing is well documented over & over & I did not have a problem with you hijacking the thread to talk about the exhaust, but come on, you are responding to every post like Mustang Sixes who are talking to me. Go start your own thread to tell everybody how much you hate what alot of Jag owners are doing or better yet go out & drive your perfect v12!

Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Sir, you are now getting personal...and THAT is not tolerated on the Forum. My post were to the point and even pointed out in an almost apologetic fashion that I knew what I was up to...ie, broken record...highjack mode....in closing, if you're going to put a Chevy engine in a Jaguar you may want to grow a thicker skin and please refrain from taking this to a personal level. If you've a problem with me or my posts while on this forum then I suggest you alert a moderator.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Received 6,332 Likes on 5,517 Posts

Already alerted.

JT, I think you have made clear how you feel about Bill's project, if you have nothing useful to add maybe you should just avoid the thread?

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
billsautoworks (01-02-2013), plums (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Banned
Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by billsautoworks
I am very sorry I offended the purests & I completely understand the thinking. I do not want to hurt anybodys feelings but comparing a v-12 Jag engine to a small block Chevy is like comparing Rosie O'Donnell to a supermodel!
If the car would have been running when I bought it, I might have tried to keep the misrable v-12 running for a while, but that is not what I wanted. I wanted the look of the XKS conv, The Jag handling but with the dependability of the chevy engine

Don't apologize, It is your car to do as you please. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

I would always rather see a complete and proper running XJS or E type including original engines rather than "lumped" ones, however I would also rather see "lumped" XJS's and E types rather than ones pancaked by a crusher or parted out.

There was another member who used a Supra engine. IMO, that seemed more appropriate if one is going to "lump"

Good luck with your project.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Norri
Already alerted.

JT, I think you have made clear how you feel about Bill's project, if you have nothing useful to add maybe you should just avoid the thread?
Thanks for getting here first.

All members are welcome here ... even those who don't have a Jaguar at all.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (01-02-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 AM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts
Old 01-03-2013, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,059 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Whilst pondering on this thread I wondered why you would change to a smaller engine (as in cylinder numbers) and whether the States had ever produced a V12 engine (excuse my ignorance if it is common knowledge).
Did a quick search and found this

GMC 702 ci (11.5 litres), now that is the way to do an engine change and if it doesn't fit in the front then stick it in the back!

It sounds just like I imagined 1 1/2 V8s would sound.

Attached Thumbnails My 92 XJS Conv Build Thread-resize_crop.306130052_std.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Thanks for getting here first.

All members are welcome here ... even those who don't have a Jaguar at all.
No one ever said anyone wasn't welcome plums...at least not in any of my posts. I simply was trying to defend the V-12's position. I don't feel your input was necessary at all. In other words as Norri put it...you were not "adding" anything to the thread but you were simply "piling" on.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Default Gmc v-12

Originally Posted by Steve M
Whilst pondering on this thread I wondered why you would change to a smaller engine (as in cylinder numbers) and whether the States had ever produced a V12 engine (excuse my ignorance if it is common knowledge).
Did a quick search and found this

GMC 702 ci (11.5 litres), now that is the way to do an engine change and if it doesn't fit in the front then stick it in the back!

ThunderV12 GMC 702 ci V12 engine on the dyno. ThunderV12.com - YouTube

It sounds just like I imagined 1 1/2 V8s would sound.
Steve,
My father worked for GMC trucks as a mechanic from 1960 into the late 80's so I am familiar with these engines, there are only a few around (they never made very many) This is basically 2 of the large v-6 engines mated together, the v-6's had displacements from 305 cu in up to over 400 cu in. These engine were used in many big trucks before the deisel became very popular.
As for why anyone would put an engine with less cylinders, in this case less is definetly better.... More horse power at a much cheaper price, way more dependable & my XJS will weigh 400-500 lbs less making the handling alot better

Attached Thumbnails My 92 XJS Conv Build Thread-resize_crop.306130052_std.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

Nah, more cylinders is definitely better but then maybe I'm spoilt working on Fast Cats with 4 x V20 engines (even if they are diesels).
Good idea to mate 2 engines together as you avoid a lot of tooling costs for a brand new engine.
Or you could put one engine in the front and one in the back giving you a 4 x 4 option.

Attached Thumbnails My 92 XJS Conv Build Thread-saharaschema.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 AM

Very interesting Steve, I have never seen that before.
In 1968 Dad bought a brand new GMC 3/4 ton pickup with the 305 v-6 4spd & 4.10 rear, it didn't have any top end but if you needed your house pulled down ..it was great

Last edited by billsautoworks; 01-03-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

4.10 diff? Blimey, you could take the tyres off, put it on rails and use it as a locomotive!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Let's look at it this way....for some reason no one would dare post on a Camaro site they were dropping a Ford engine in one or in the same vein no one would put on a Mustang Forum they were putting a SB Chevy in one of those or worse yet a SB Chevy in a Chrysler/Plymouth Muscle car and then put it up on their enthusiest Forum....not without dramatic negative remarks. For some reason people have made it "mainstream" to drop an Chevy/Ford "lump" in a Jaguar..........puzzles me. I don't like it...not going to tip toe around the subject. If I've violated any forum polcies also, any monitor can pull my plug. I don't wish anyone anyone any ill will, just very opinionated on this particular subject.
too be honest, as much as i love the sound and awesome of a 5.3 V12, theyre just not practical. they dont stay cool in the heat, no overdrive, no aftermarket, few transmission options in any kind of reasonable price range, parts arent readily available, and theres so many shady systems that have issues. theres more V12's on this forum with issues and/or not running than good running cars.

i think its great that someone is taking an XJS and bringing it back to life. the more the merrier IMHO. i dont want to see every V12 XJS out there with issues put into storage and eaten by rodents, time, and corrosion.

sure there is always the argument, which im sure your preparing as you read this, that a properly maintained V12 is a great car. i agree. but how many properly maintained V12's are there? few i imagine.

not everyone has the TME and expertise to repair a botched V12. wish i had been able to get mine running. no one can say i didnt give it my best shot. ill be happier with my blown 6 and overdrive, but it might not sound as good.

EDIT: to say there are plenty of guys who ditch those asthmatic mustang 302's and 4.6's for SBC's. ive never seen anyone put a ford engine in a chevy though. lol

Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
No one ever said anyone wasn't welcome plums...at least not in any of my posts. I simply was trying to defend the V-12's position. I don't feel your input was necessary at all. In other words as Norri put it...you were not "adding" anything to the thread but you were simply "piling" on.
Plums was 'adding' his opinion that one can be a serious purist or put the works from a Fordson tractor in ones car and, in either event, not risk approbation.
I think the three Mods that have replied to this thread just sensed a slight lack of the gentlemanly conduct we try so hard to maintain.

Last edited by steveinfrance; 01-03-2013 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
billsautoworks (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

+1 on that Steve, I believe that Plums was right also.

JT - Your " defence" of the V12 is admirable but no one was attacking it as far as I can see, simply stating it was old, tired and other options were available.
If you have nothing constructive to add then please allow the thread to continue uninterrupted, thank you.

Billsautoworks - Please note as I'm sure you already know, that some of our members may not agree with your decision to replace the engine, but then again just as many will agree and or understand why you are doing this.

Its your car at the end of the day and up to you what you decide to do with it. Please, by all means continue your thread and let us know how it goes. I'm sure you'll get more comments from various other members, with some positive, some neutral and perhaps a few negatives too.

No matter which though, they should all be matter of fact and not personal!

Now please lets get back on topic with this thread

Attached Thumbnails My 92 XJS Conv Build Thread-car01.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Plums wad 'adding' his opinion that one can be a serious purist or put the works from a Fordson tractor in ones car and, in either event, not risk approbation.
I think the three Mods that have replied to this thread just sensed a slight lack of the gentlemanly conduct we try so hard to maintain.
I disagree, nothing was stated by me in any of my post's that wasn't "gentlemanly" I never got "personal" and only defended the V-12 and the Jaguar staying a Jaguar. One person even put my comments as being "fair". If you are trying to state I was being non- Gentlemanly then that is only based on your "opinion" based on a lack of expressionism in the written word...If you go back and read my posts you will find no ill-will...I stand firmly that "plums" remarks were un necessary and biased and added nothing the the thread which was the request by Norri...I also PM'd Norri at my distaste for being publicly chastised for doing no wrong....seems as Mod's you guy's really like going above and beyond to publicly chastise people (me) w/o the common respect of a simple PM...Norri could have easily PM'd me and asked that I not further post on this thread which I would have been happy to oblige...but you guy's continuously decide you need to call out in public...WHEN I'VE VIOLATED NO FORUM POLICIES, and have only stated myself in a matter of fact manner. Just because someone gets himself in a wad over someones dislike for his decision and provides counter-point isn't a reason to publicly keep berating that messenger. Your supposed to try to de-fuse incidents as a monitor not continue to fan the fire...you sir's IMHO are not succeeding in your duties. But then again I'm sure you'll find that comment un-gentlemanly. I would have rather PM'd this to you but I'm not going to provide that common courtesy anymore since it isn't being given to me. I'm sure your next move will be to 'ban" me....but then again that will just fall in line with the punishment not fitting the crime.

Last edited by JTsmks; 01-03-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by billsautoworks
You are right JT, it is a broken record, your distain for what I am doing is well documented over & over & I did not have a problem with you hijacking the thread to talk about the exhaust, but come on, you are responding to every post like Mustang Sixes who are talking to me. Go start your own thread to tell everybody how much you hate what alot of Jag owners are doing or better yet go out & drive your perfect v12!
I thought from this the OP did feel unhappy.
When three Mods and Jim the Boss weigh in it isn't a matter of 'Let's all sing from the same hymn sheet'.
We're genuinely trying to keep things sweet.
If you want to resign - well I personally would be sorry to see you go.
As far as getting banned is concerned I can see no reason to do so - but bear in mind Jim 'owns' this Forum and can do whatever he thinks is right.
I had a spat with the 'Establishment' some time ago and they behaved superbly.
Sleep on it and let's all be good friends in the morning.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Received 171 Likes on 85 Posts

Hi neighbor!
I was wondering, since you are not going to be changing everything to V8 setup and such, is there good fuel tank with no rust for sale perhaps?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=Mish_Mish;650111]Hi neighbor!
I was wondering, since you are not going to be changing everything to V8 setup and such, is there good fuel tank with no rust for sale perhaps?[/QUOTE

Sorry Sir,
I will be using the original fuel tank, I will remove the electric pump becuase the engine will have a mechanical pump on it. I will have alot of pieces for sale in the near future, but I think I will wait until my kit arrives just in case I need something I did not count on.

On another note, I have no problem with anybody whose opinion differs with mine & I do not want to see anybody banned unless the Mods deem it absolutely necessary, but it would be nice to post my progress on my Xjs without constant bashing by the same person with the intent to distroy the thread
Thank you
Bill

Quick Reply: My 92 XJS Conv Build Thread