XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

My 92 XJS Conv Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see some one putting a v8 in one. nothing wrong with that. I have a 82 with 87 thousand miles on it. when the clump v12 give me to many problems its coming out and a 454 will be going in. the v12s are good motors its just all the stuff that is attached to it. lots of vacuum lines, radiator hoses, wires and the like. I have put a new alum. radiator all new rubber hoses and lines, elec. cooling fans. I figure I can use these when I put my 454 in. I still haven"t pulled the distributor to check for a frozen advance. looks like another royal pain. Dual thermostat system one for each cyl. bank ant the temp gauge that only reads one bank (whats up with that) Not to mention the fuel lines that has to be changed or the car will explode. I don"t mind pouring money and time into a car, But for 12 cylinders and only 200 and some H.P. just saying.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you have the convertible, but being that you have body experience, I was wondering if you know something about the stainless trim removal on the coupes? I have the coupe and plan to start the body work after mechanical. I've heard a lot of horror stories about the removal and replace process of the front windshield trim and rubber + rear as well. The rubber surround is all cracked and in need of replacement...do you know of any resources where I can obtain the gasket material for that? The glass is in good shape, but I'll need to remove all the trim for body work.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,274 Likes on 5,447 Posts

Originally Posted by magnoliav12
I know you have the convertible, but being that you have body experience, I was wondering if you know something about the stainless trim removal on the coupes? I have the coupe and plan to start the body work after mechanical. I've heard a lot of horror stories about the removal and replace process of the front windshield trim and rubber + rear as well. The rubber surround is all cracked and in need of replacement...do you know of any resources where I can obtain the gasket material for that? The glass is in good shape, but I'll need to remove all the trim for body work.
The stainless trim round the front screen comes off as follows:
  1. remove A pillar inside trim
  2. pull off/back A pillar door rubber
  3. this reveals self tappers holding the A pillar stainless trim, undo these
  4. carefully prise off A pillar stainless trim starting at the top where it clips over the top piece.
  5. this reveals a self tapper holding the top piece and another holding the bottom piece, on each side of the car
  6. undo these
  7. there may be self tappers holding the stainless trim in the centre bottom. Remove the wipers to get to these
  8. prise off the pieces, once you have rechecked that there are no more screws yet to be undone.
The trim can bend a bit as it comes off but will bend back no problem.

The screen rubber should be cut off. Do not try to prise out the screen. So if a piece of trim is being difficult, just cut ir out of the rubber.

The rear screen chrome has to be prised out of the rubber first, or better, cut out. Then cut the rubber to release the glass.

Greg

The following users liked this post:
magnoliav12 (02-24-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you Greg for answering that question, I was going to go out in the shop & do the removal on mine so I could explain it to magnoliav12 because there was no way I could have recited it the way you did from memory! My build has stalled for a little while, the transport end of my business is keeping me away from the shop alot lately. I did manage to disassemble the rear cage so I can take the "hogs head" to my rear end guy for the ratio change & tighten up the posi.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

some call it a hogs head, or a hogs butt, or a pumpkin, or a chunk.

when in reality its the final drive differential assembly.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:37 PM

I run a 9" ford in the race car & hogs head is waht we always called it, probably not proper for a Jaguar site lol..

Old 02-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

you guys do know that a modern day 4cyl. turbo engine would be just fine for everyday commute, and low fuel consumption also.

some 4cyl. are getting 300hp now adays, with a nice 6-7speed auto, whats more to want.

heck most of Jag v12s didnt make 300hp!

Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Yer wee heathen!!!

Who wants a modern soulless car, apart form the exotica, with their depreciation etc!!
I'm going backwards in time when I get the xjc going!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

4 cyl turbos lack any torque below 4000 rpm. Great for a 1000kg car, not so great for a 2000kg car!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Typhoon
4 cyl turbos lack any torque below 4000 rpm. Great for a 1000kg car, not so great for a 2000kg car!
Not to mention that lousy sound when you step on it! Besides if I go through the trouble to upgrade to a better engine it is going to have more than 300 hp, mine will put out aprrox 450.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:11 AM

Thanks a lot for that info. I may have started to pry it off not knowing better. I also read that the side trim is riveted on. I thought it was the stick on stuff, but I guess not. Would I have to drill out the rivets from inside the fenders and doors to remove that?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Default Trim Pieces

Ok, I took some pictures of it for anyone who wants to see. One is of the pillar trim. As it turns out, I didn't even have the rubber in there to begin with, so it made it easier to see the screws. I'll have to find an appropriate source for the rubber gaskets after I'm done with the body work. The other pic is where the screws are located in the bottom trim piece that Greg pointed out. I do have to remove the windshield wipers and the piece on the cowl that's obstructing them. Also added a picture of the side trim that I was referring to earlier. The side trim looks just like the stick on stuff, but I heard that it's riveted in.

Attached Thumbnails My 92 XJS Conv Build Thread-bottomwindscreentrim.jpg   My 92 XJS Conv Build Thread-pillartrim.jpg   My 92 XJS Conv Build Thread-side-trim.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,274 Likes on 5,447 Posts

Yes, you have to remove the wiper grille assembly to see the trim fixings below the screen bottom.

Cannot help with the side trim, except to say it was not fitted at the factory, they were dealer fitted and I think USA only. If the side trim is metal with a rubber insert (which it looks from your photo to be), pull out the rubber and see if there are fixings below it, which will be pop rivets, I expect. If it is one-piece, it is very unlikely the dealers did anything other than stick it.

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 02-25-2013 at 02:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
magnoliav12 (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Default Rivets

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Yes, you have to remove the wiper grille assembly to see the trim fixings below the screen bottom.

Cannot help with the side trim, except to say it was not fitted at the factory, they were dealer fitted and I think USA only. If the side trim is metal with a rubber insert (which it looks from your photo to be), pull out the rubber and see if there are fixings below it, which will be pop rivets, I expect. If it is one-piece, it is very unlikely the dealers did anything other than stick it.

Greg
That sounds like a good idea. I'll see if the rubber pops out. It looks very much like the stick on stuff I've used before on other vehicles, but I'll see if that pops out.