XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

My story with questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! I bought my first Jag in 1983. A 1979 XJS that had belonged to a rich playboy. Pinion seal went bad, and he drove it without gear oil in the differential. For a long time... A few other things were wrong as well. Not having ever owned a Jag, like you, I was willing to jump in. I pulled the rear suspension, put all new bearings in it, installed new pads while there. Did a full tune up and valve adjustment. (Very, very, very time consuming), and began driving the car. It had its own set of issues, but a good experience.
Fast forward, and I have owned many Jags, and currently have 6. My father and I are both car guys, real close, but he doesn't care one bit for a Jag. Always asks if it leaks oil when I visit, lol. Doesn't want oil stains in his driveway. So I only drive the XJS with the 4.0 to his house. Great cars, very rewarding to own, especially if you enjoy doing your own repairs and maintenance.
Welcome to the forum!

Old 09-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JigJag
The most important tool suggestions you've gotten so far are great ones! But no one has mentioned the tool that gets the MVP award every time I work on the V12.

Magnet on a stick!

I sometimes think that the crankshaft must be magnetic. All small metallic objects are attracted to it. Right out of your fingers sometimes!
Solid advice!

"Telescopic Magnetic Pick Up Tool" will be here tomorrow!

Old 09-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

We're on the 2nd page of this thread and no pics? Fo shame OP. Best advice for new forum users is to read as much as you can about your car and the questions you want to create a new thread for before doing it. In fact, life is so much simpler if you just create a resurrection or project thread. No one will disagree that pictures make posts more interesting and convey a point much better. This forum's built in uploader works well. Click the yellow icon above the quick reply text box and upload your pic from a device or the web. It works pretty well.

Anyway, converse with your following and try to answers others questions as you find answers. Forums are for the most part great communities of like minded folks who want to share and enjoy their experiences. Be a good member and tell the story (with pics).

Oh yeah, be sure to sweep the shop floor before working on the car. Makes it easier to find dropped stuff.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
We're on the 2nd page of this thread and no pics? Fo shame OP. Best advice for new forum users is to read as much as you can about your car and the questions you want to create a new thread for before doing it. In fact, life is so much simpler if you just create a resurrection or project thread. No one will disagree that pictures make posts more interesting and convey a point much better. This forum's built in uploader works well. Click the yellow icon above the quick reply text box and upload your pic from a device or the web. It works pretty well.

Anyway, converse with your following and try to answers others questions as you find answers. Forums are for the most part great communities of like minded folks who want to share and enjoy their experiences. Be a good member and tell the story (with pics).

Oh yeah, be sure to sweep the shop floor before working on the car. Makes it easier to find dropped stuff.
Dude... you are right!

Ok - I just figured out the sub-frame mounts (bushings) were cracked and I don't have a lift so I handed the car over to a shop to have them replaced. The MOMENT it is back I will post pics!