XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

MY XJS going to get painted

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:40 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default MY XJS going to get painted

Just dropped my XJS for paint today. Three weeks to get her back. Can't wait. I'll post pics as soon as she's done.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

I was thinking you had sold your blue XJS. Did you buy another one or did you have a project car tucked away ? What color are you painting this one? Love to see some photos if you have them.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
I was thinking you had sold your blue XJS. Did you buy another one or did you have a project car tucked away ? What color are you painting this one? Love to see some photos if you have them.
I sold my blue one. I recently bought a 94 with 36,000 miles but it needed a paint job. 5G's for the paint job. It better be like factory new for that price. But I'm really looking forward to getting it back I'll post pics as soon as I get it back

Old 04-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

5 is a lot. Are they dismantling everything? Is it a repaint of the original color? That is the only way you can get away with not removing the engine and more permanent bits of trim.

Can't wait til the day when I can respray the jaguar BRG on my XJS. Will definitely be a site to behold any new painted XJS.

Well, maybe it is a bit different from be since I have never seen a new one. They XJS stopped production when I was 4 years old, so I never got to see a BRAND new one.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

I tried cheap and regretted it! Went to the #acc@ franchise. Apparently they are
unable to match the Jaguar code for the Oyster color external paint.
I then found a local paint shop that was a Ferrari Authorized paint shop.
Yep, it did cost some bucks. But, the finished product was well worth it.
My wife's 94 XJS 2+2 looks great with the right paint job!
Here is to another 20+ years of perfection on the road.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
5 is a lot. Are they dismantling everything? Is it a repaint of the original color? That is the only way you can get away with not removing the engine and more permanent bits of trim.

Can't wait til the day when I can respray the jaguar BRG on my XJS. Will definitely be a site to behold any new painted XJS.

Well, maybe it is a bit different from be since I have never seen a new one. They XJS stopped production when I was 4 years old, so I never got to see a BRAND new one.
Well its black. They are removing mirrors, door handles, bumpers, all lights, all emblems, and a few others things I can't remember. Same color. The price sucks but I really want a nice job. I guess its' better to pay a little more than a little less and then regret it. I'm hoping that I don't have to do it again.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:10 AM
Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Hey, remember to ask that they save all of the emblems ! The 94 XJS emblems are just
held on with a double side tape or some sort of weather strip glue.
The #acc@ paint shop just stripped them off and threw them away ! I spent another
$250+ replacing them. The paint shop refused to reimburse me for them. They said it was
an industry practice to trash the emblems if they were not bolted/screwed on or if you do not request that they be saved.
WHAT !!???
Any pin stripping is toast also. Unless you wanted to pay extra to have them put back on.
Sometimes that cost is more than the paint job.
I waited until the BETTER Paint Shop finished then I got new emblems and put them on
after the paint had time to "set".

Old 04-10-2015, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by scarbro2011
Hey, remember to ask that they save all of the emblems ! The 94 XJS emblems are just
held on with a double side tape or some sort of weather strip glue.
The #acc@ paint shop just stripped them off and threw them away ! I spent another
$250+ replacing them. The paint shop refused to reimburse me for them. They said it was
an industry practice to trash the emblems if they were not bolted/screwed on or if you do not request that they be saved.
WHAT !!???
Any pin stripping is toast also. Unless you wanted to pay extra to have them put back on.
Sometimes that cost is more than the paint job.
I waited until the BETTER Paint Shop finished then I got new emblems and put them on
after the paint had time to "set".
Wow, Thx. I'll make sure I ask them to save it.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mannymux
Well its black. They are removing mirrors, door handles, bumpers, all lights, all emblems, and a few others things I can't remember. Same color. The price sucks but I really want a nice job. I guess its' better to pay a little more than a little less and then regret it. I'm hoping that I don't have to do it again.
+1

Do not skimp on this it will be staring you in the face every day. You already know that, this is more for the people who think it should cost less. $5,000 is very reasonable for a black full respray.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Nookieman
+1

Do not skimp on this it will be staring you in the face every day. You already know that, this is more for the people who think it should cost less. $5,000 is very reasonable for a black full respray.

This is correct IMO $5000 is not bad
I did all my own labour and prep and spraying and I had $3000 in materials
Good luck, I hope you're happy with the finished result.

P.S. don't get tree sap, bird droppings on fresh paint. It will stain it and may wrinkle it. Don't lean on it or scrub it for at least a month... really... it may permanently mark

Old 04-11-2015, 11:21 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

$5000.00 is a very good price as you can figure good quality materials to repaint a car the size of the XJS will run between $2500.00 to $3000.00. This is just for the paint and clear coat part of the job.

Some colors are more then others but even here in Boise, Idaho I would figure a good quality respray with needed dis assembly, taking out rock chips and light door dings etc. , will run in the area of $ 6k to $ 8K.

I know my painter was just quoted $2600.00 for paint and clear to repaint his 1999 S-10 pickup extended cab. This is his cost working at a body shop. I could see some high end shops in different parts of the country charging upwards of $ 9K to repaint a XJS. Even more if you are changing color or have to strip the old paint off.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:23 AM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
I know my painter was just quoted $2600.00 for paint and clear to repaint his 1999 S-10 pickup extended cab.
That must be one nice S-10 to spend that kind of money on paint!
Do you know what kind of paint he's using?

Old 04-12-2015, 08:34 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I was quoted $3,500 for a full respray a few years back. The shop was brand new and had just opened. I regretted not taking them up on it, then was rear ended a few months later, so it ended up being for the better.

My car is BRG. That's when I realized there is no true standard BRG. I considered all he different greens out there. Would have been cool. Not much to think about if you're going with black...unless you decide to go with some metallic black color.

Not sure why you think $5k is a high price. I think it's exactly where it should be. There's a lot of time involved in a full respray.

I'd love to know what others have paid.

By the way, it's $150 per side to have someone come out and hand paint pinstripes on the car. Had that same number quotes by multiple shops here in the DC area. Stickers were practically free.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

I have paid over 13k at this point. First I took it to a "high end" shop that stripped and repainted the car, took the fenders, doors, bonnet, trunk and convertible top of completely, stripped it to bare metal. I was never happy with how it turned out on the sides, meaning it was too wavy. It wasn't orange peel, it was just wavy. No amount of wet sanding would correct, and after giving them 3 or 4 chances to repaint the sides I cut my loses and took it to shop #2 ,an even higher end place who deals with nothing but italian super cars, who charged me close to 6k to have just the sides of the car (meaning fenders, doors and quarter panels) redone. They left the sides nice and flat with no waviness but a few months later all sorts of "pimples" have come up on the car and last week I dropped of the car to have them do it again. It's been a real nightmare.

5k dollars for a complete quality strip and repaint is a bargain. Specially if they do it right the first time around.

On the other hand I paid Maaco 700 dollars to have them do the bumpers and roof on my little daily driver X type and have had no problems with that at all. It's probably because I don't have such insanely high standards for my X type as I do for XJS or E, but the paint shows no flaws and looks pretty nice.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mannymux
I sold my blue one. I recently bought a 94 with 36,000 miles but it needed a paint job. 5G's for the paint job. It better be like factory new for that price. But I'm really looking forward to getting it back I'll post pics as soon as I get it back
Dude,
That's a good price! Especially with them taking everything off and putting it back on. On a black car, you want to be 100% sure that the prep is perfect. Sounds like you have found a good shop. Now, when a paint shop promises me 3 weeks, I usually double or triple that. Those quick insurance bump jobs seem to push restoration work to the back burner as that's where most shops make their money. I don't complain too much if I know the end product is gonna be right. Good luck, brother!

Old 04-16-2015, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 386 Posts

All the badges except the right fender one are still available on flebay. don't skimp by putting old badges back on. (keep the fender badges ).