XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Is my XJS the oldest here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 172 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by gregh
I notice the stance, especially the rear height. -What is the trick to the inch lift in the rear? -Certainly doesn't look like stock suspension. I have new adjustable Koni's and new springs going in next week.
No trick, this is what stock '87 shocks and springs look like with extra weight removed from the car. I have no exhaust, bumpers, interior and A/C in the car right now.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 PM

Front end is done.

Attached Thumbnails Is my XJS the oldest here?-20121115_170229.jpg   Is my XJS the oldest here?-20121115_170239.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 PM

Some pics...

Attached Thumbnails Is my XJS the oldest here?-db166c8s-960.jpg   Is my XJS the oldest here?-47166c8s-960.jpg   Is my XJS the oldest here?-d7166c8s-960.jpg   Is my XJS the oldest here?-f166c8s-960.jpg   Is my XJS the oldest here?-9d442c8s-960.jpg  

Last edited by Mish_Mish; 01-09-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:33 PM

Talking to myself here, but still...

Attached Thumbnails Is my XJS the oldest here?-dsc00270.jpg   Is my XJS the oldest here?-dsc00271.jpg   Is my XJS the oldest here?-dsc00268.jpg   Is my XJS the oldest here?-dsc00273.jpg   Is my XJS the oldest here?-dsc00269.jpg  

Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,450 Likes on 5,530 Posts

Mish
What is that modern-looking insulation on the floor, please?

Also, what are the steel rods across the seat mountings to be used for?

Car looks great, so you are talking to at least one person!

Greg

Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 AM

Against metal is Eastwood brand sound and heat insulation, fairly cheap stuff compared to the rest. Second layer is automotive / industrial carpet under layer, sold in carpeting supply stores. It is similar to original wool/fiber stuff, but does not ignite like gun powder.
Cross beams are adapters for UK spec seats, I am using. Original interior was beige and all messed up, so I bought 1987 interior from UK years ago. For some reason seat mounting pattern is slightly off. I am actually thinking of welding in permanent solution.

Last edited by Mish_Mish; 01-13-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,450 Likes on 5,530 Posts

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
Cross beams are adapters for UK spec seats, I am using. Original interior was beige and all messed up, so I bought 1987 interior from UK years ago. For some reason seat mounting pattern is slightly off. I am actually thinking of welding in permanent solution.
The seats are not just UK spec, but pre 'semi-facelift' ones. In about 1987/8 the seats were changed to Recaro style ones, that had seat mountings about 1.5 inches closer together. At this time the Aircon was changed to the Delanair Mark III, and the column switchgear modernised as well. So I guess you have bought a just pre semi facelift interior, the only difference AFAIK being the front seats. FWIW I find the seats you have (and that I have in my 1985) are more comfortable, and give significantly more rear set room as the backs are thinner.

If you do reweld the mountings (good idea IMO) it is just the sill-side ones that need to be changed.

Are the speakers anything special?
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 01-14-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
The seats are not just UK spec, but pre 'semi-facelift' ones. In about 1987/8 the seats were changed to Recaro style ones, that had seat mountings about 1.5 inches closer together. At this time the Aircon was changed to the Delanair Mark II, and the column switchgear modernised as well. So I guess you have bought a just pre semi facelift interior, the only difference AFAIK being the front seats. FWIW I find the seats you have (and that I have in my 1985) are more comfortable, and give significantly more rear set room as the backs are thinner.

If you do reweld the mountings (good idea IMO) it is just the sill-side ones that need to be changed.

Are the speakers anything special?
Greg
Thanks for the info. I should have re-welded mounting areas prior to doing the interior carpeting. I will weld square plates to original points, so I could drill perfectly positioned holes as the sit placed.
Speakers are new, front Alpine SPS-410 and rear SPR-60, head unit is one of the modern Pioneers, with USB and HD radio. I picked one that looked good in XJS interior, with round chrome knob.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 517 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by jag_man653
Not to brag, but mine is even older: 12/1975 on the door post. 2W 51180 BW. Take a look at photos and the original window sticker, at my website.
Love your site! Finally a good photo of the illusive blacked out rear panel between the lights. Before I restored mine and went with paino black, I planned to black out the same panel. Mine was red when I bought it.
Thinking about a new electric folding canvas roof ,saw a photo of one, can't seem to locate it now. Always loved the look. Very British!!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Talking to myself here, but still...
Not sure I'm digging the interior color with the exterior? Hum........

Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 PM

Work in progress, will do for now, other expenses are killing interior budget.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member

Work in progress, will do for now, other expenses are killing interior budget.
Not sure what you need but I have a perfect ski slope from mine. I changed my interior wood to the dark burl and have several pieces of the lighter wood. The ski slope was replaced before I purchased the car so it's brand new, quite nice. Also have the upper wood minus the left vent surround (broke during removal) but other pieces in good shape. One faint hairline crack on glove box panel. I have a pair of cathedral style front side markers, new set of black and chrome wheel centers and new black and chrome rectangle leaper badges. A set of quad headlight assemblies with chromes and led halo bulbs. Let me know if you're interested. I was going to eBay them at some point as a lot but if you're looking, let me know.
Oddly, the red with the burnt orange is kinda growing on me, after looking again, the wood trim on door kinda pulls it together. Looks kinda high street fashion!!

Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member

FYI, I'm starting my interior gage lighting upgrade. Those faint green dials are killing me so I'm adding more led behind. While I had the gage console dismantled to install the new wood facia I ordered, I saw plenty of space to add a few new led lights. I bought the self stick strips and plan to add one three light section behind both rpm and mph dials. The center barrel Gage's are bright enough! Already added amber footwell strips and a really genus led light under center console lid edge. I dream melted out a well to sink three bulb section then filled with clear fast setting epoxy to make flush with leather and keep leather from pulling back. Then ran wire under black plastic interior cover, left a bit of slack at hinge and ran wire to the cigar lighter bulb. It washes the ski slope with warm amber light but you can't see source. You should try.
I plan to add amber led to toor panel as well to light under the handle. Your exterior with my interior would be beyond brilliant!!

The following users liked this post:
gregh (02-06-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by philhef
Not sure what you need but I have a perfect ski slope from mine. I changed my interior wood to the dark burl and have several pieces of the lighter wood. The ski slope was replaced before I purchased the car so it's brand new, quite nice. Also have the upper wood minus the left vent surround (broke during removal) but other pieces in good shape. One faint hairline crack on glove box panel. I have a pair of cathedral style front side markers, new set of black and chrome wheel centers and new black and chrome rectangle leaper badges. A set of quad headlight assemblies with chromes and led halo bulbs. Let me know if you're interested. I was going to eBay them at some point as a lot but if you're looking, let me know.
Oddly, the red with the burnt orange is kinda growing on me, after looking again, the wood trim on door kinda pulls it together. Looks kinda high street fashion!!
My wood is refurbished, but not perfect, due to my lack of experience. I will have to take it off and do few more payers of clear to make it really shine and look deep. I do need wood trimmed slope, because mine is just black vinyl. Also, what do you mean "cathedral" marker lights, got picture?
How much for the slope and LED head lights, pics please?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Love your site! Finally a good photo of the illusive blacked out rear panel between the lights. Before I restored mine and went with paino black, I planned to black out the same panel. Mine was red when I bought it.
Are you referring to the vertical part of the boot lid? They were black (dark gray?) on the first XJ-S, but switched to body color at some point. I recently had mine repainted, but they did it with a gloss black paint. I'm going to have it redone with the proper non-gloss.

BTW, the original upper grille was also black. Mine was replaced due to a collision years ago, and the black grille was NLA. The shop offered to paint it but I decided I liked the chrome better. So far, the concours judges haven't noticed!

Ed

Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

HEY, mish,or anyone? at the doors where carpet meets the body,that grey plastic molding, does anyone know if the newer polished aluminum ones would fit , they have a nice Jaguar logo on them and a classy look ?

or any after market pieces,maybe.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 PM

Still talking to myself, but this is out first outing with 5-speed. Wild beast is reborn.

Attached Thumbnails Is my XJS the oldest here?-20130206_172255.jpg   Is my XJS the oldest here?-20130206_172310.jpg   Is my XJS the oldest here?-20130206_172324.jpg   Is my XJS the oldest here?-20130206_172336.jpg   Is my XJS the oldest here?-20130206_172723.jpg  

Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi, I too really would like to make my dash gauge lights brighter, and would love it if you posted some pix or instructions exactly how you did this, perhaps the source and ID of the LEDs used. -What is this Dream Welded/Melted thingy? -Looking forward to more info.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gregh
Hi, I too really would like to make my dash gauge lights brighter, and would love it if you posted some pix or instructions exactly how you did this, perhaps the source and ID of the LEDs used. -What is this Dream Welded/Melted thingy? -Looking forward to more info.
If my painter finishes the final fixes on my black paint, I hope to have it back after over a monts!
I've had the gage console out to install the wood fascia and at the time, I painted the bezels around the Gage's black instead of the factory gray. Made a big difference, looked new! That's when I saw the sad lucus green lights. They're not easily removed. In fact I don't know how they'd be replaced if burned out.
I'm simply adding a short strip of led auto lights from a local chain. Even using blue since it will certainly be brighter than the green. They self stick and the light is actually reflected not direct so I hope it works! Also wiring direct to harness plug wires, not the gage internal wiring.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

Thread is absolutely worthless without more pics.

Quick Reply: Is my XJS the oldest here?