XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Mystery hour. Some vacuum, some electrical, some ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 08:51 AM
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Mystery hour. Some vacuum, some electrical, some ???

So I would appreciate some input on the pictures I am posting below. What these components do, for the ones missing vacuum lines some help with routing would be great. Got some wires plugged into nothing. And what looks like a vacuum line with a fuel filter on it going to the distributor cap. Yea you read that right.

these wires were found tucked down behind the throttle there in the middle.

these two sets of plugs are a mystery but clearly don't plug into each other so I don't know what's up with that.

this little thing is tucked way down under the right side intake.

this with the red label has a vacuum line and an electrical connector. Just curious as to it's function.

This is also on the right side tucked down under the intake. It appears to have two vacuum ports. Curious as to it's function and line routing.

this disc shaped object. I can see the line there that's off so I am mostly curious as to it's function. Still on the right side but this time at the front.

Immediately above the disc shaped object, this has no lines on it. I see one line close to it coming from the front of the intake but I don't know which port it belongs on. Some information regarding routing and this solenoids function would be great.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:12 AM
Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

The fuel filter is the distributor vent. It’s supposed to be like that. The rest of them I’m not sure about. Some look like my car, but I’m not sure it’s right either.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:13 AM
Received 10,476 Likes on 6,918 Posts

1) That filter arrangement is NORMAL and part of the distributor cap venting system, stops them exploding.
2) Possibly to do with teh throttle capstan fueling micro switch, pure guess at that at the moment

The rest are too close for me to make out, they appear blurry to my one working eye.

Most of the descriptions have me thinking Emissions stuff, which is more than likely not working anymore, hence being unplugged, removed, by-passed.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:04 AM

This car just never ceases to fascinate. I never would have guessed that very out of place looking filter was normal.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:06 AM

If they are indeed emissions related can they just be deleted and the car still operate properly.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:29 AM

Yep.

A LONG time ago, way before computers and Forums, I did that to my HE. Had the engine running, pulled stuff off until is farted, or died, then reconnected that item, and investigated what it did and why it did what it did. Eventually I had it about 2kgs lighter, and way less rats nest of hoses and wires.
Emission schematics for our market were a bit of this, some of that, a tad more of some other markets stuff, and that was a simple one. NO diagrams made any sense at all.

Single vac line from the Vac Advance capsule to the underside of the RH throttle body, that's all it has now.

NORMAL, mate, its a V12, nothing is normal, HA.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:44 AM

That is fantastic news - its always a happy time when you can just do away with the clutter lol. Or some of it at least.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:54 AM

Was yours a manual transmission? I am assuming I will still need to keep the one line that goes down to the modulator on the transmission along with the vacuum advance. If I can get this jumble down to essentially 2 lines - I will call that quite a victory.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:37 AM

Auto, and YES, the vac hoses at the rear of the A Bank Inlet were as made in UK..

It was the engine junk, mainly in the V that annoyed me the most.

Then the fuel tank venting, Oh Dear, what a bloody fiasco that was. A simple 1/64" hole drilled in the filler cap, SORTED.

PCV system, gone, simple hose down teh left side zip tied to the sway bar, another job sorted.

Efans, that got rid of shiiit loads of junk.

We had no air pump at that time, other HE's I had, a few months either side of the Red one had air pumps, but only briefly.

Cold start Injectors,, gone
Over run valves, gone.
Balance pipe, gone.
AAV unit, gone.
Cruise bellows, relocated outside the engine bay.
I forget the rest already.

Compact A/C compressor, what a blessing that was.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 06-08-2021 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:27 AM

Very interesting - lots to think about there. I haven't tested my ac compressor yet lol i will be surprised if it still works. I think the interior fan is either broken disconnected or missing. Haven't looked into that yet either. I believe mine has an air pump - if it doesnt need it I will likely do away with it lol. That is a very busy engine compartment anything i can do to clean things up and simplify things will be good. I think the one electric one belt driven fan idea is kinda interesting - i've never seen that before. Its also interesting that the thermostat controlling the electric fan works with the key off. Another question you may be able to answer for me here rather than just making a new post for it. Every other vehicle i've ever driven required that you depress the brake in order to shift out of park or into reverse, this car does not. Is that normal or something someone broke? Also this car is perfectly happy to try and start in gear if you let it which is another thing that i've never encountered before.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:40 AM

You really need to add the vehicle dfetails to your Sig via the CP tab at the LH top.

I forget your year already.

The gearlever Interlock appeared in SOME markets in very late 1989, and the rest at the 1st facelift that I remember, from searching for someone else a long while ago.

Mate here had a 1990, NO Interlock.

A club member in NSW had a 1991, 1st facelift, and it had Interlock.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:44 AM

Its an 87, glad to hear its normal lol didnt want to be adding another problem to my list.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Sardonicus
So I would appreciate some input on the pictures I am posting below. What these components do, for the ones missing vacuum lines some help with routing would be great. Got some wires plugged into nothing. And what looks like a vacuum line with a fuel filter on it going to the distributor cap. Yea you read that right.

these wires were found tucked down behind the throttle there in the middle.

these two sets of plugs are a mystery but clearly don't plug into each other so I don't know what's up with that.

this little thing is tucked way down under the right side intake.

this with the red label has a vacuum line and an electrical connector. Just curious as to it's function.

This is also on the right side tucked down under the intake. It appears to have two vacuum ports. Curious as to it's function and line routing.

this disc shaped object. I can see the line there that's off so I am mostly curious as to it's function. Still on the right side but this time at the front.

Immediately above the disc shaped object, this has no lines on it. I see one line close to it coming from the front of the intake but I don't know which port it belongs on. Some information regarding routing and this solenoids function would be great.
Jeeeeeze Brotha, you don't play...

A couple of people nailed the little filter. Filters air pulled into the dizzy to prevent ozone build up, or something. There should be a second hose that runs around to the other side intake and connects to the big ol hose that's connected to the AAV...

The second photo, this plugs attach to the two blue wires, polarity doesn't matter. It's is a little switch that is dependant on vacuum. Will signal the ECU to give a small dose of extra fuel when going from idle at say a light, to giving it that first bit of throttle so there is no hesitation at take off. Believe it or not, it actually makes a difference.

The 3rd picture. A treat. Could be for the AC system or maybe something to do with the idle relay on the rad at the front of the engine hanging on the rad OR - I have no idea.

The last picture is cruise control and a little air release for cruise control control, I believe. Should connect via vac port to the bellows and the pumps on it.

The 4th picture, I believe, is the air filter for the usually defunct air pump, driven by the belts, that connects under the engine, reemerging in the back of the engine near the balance pipe. I think it's just an air filter. Eliminated on my car.

Can't see the 5th photo and number 6 doesn't exist on the 1990 (I don't think) so I don't know.

Which side is the small brown heat controlled vac valve on? There are two. One on each side...

Wait for others to point out my mistakes. I am typing quick on my phone and could be wrong about things,,, I don't want to mislead...

Old 06-08-2021, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Then this. Sometimes, not all the time, the numbers printed on the bits will really help... Look! Made in the USA??? Well there's sumpthin you don't see everyday!

Old 06-08-2021, 07:48 PM

aside from the filter on the distributor line all of those pictures were taken on the right side. I will see if I can clean up #5 and get a better view. Its hooked up right now so im not too worried about it but it would be interesting to know what it is.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

This illustration may be helpful

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Cheers
DD

Old 06-08-2021, 08:08 PM

Looks like picture #4 might be #4 on that diagram, labeled vacuum regulator.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:13 PM

I'd say #6 in that diagram is definitely picture #6 - just labeled solenoid valve.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Sardonicus
I'd say #6 in that diagram is definitely picture #6 - just labeled solenoid valve.

I agree. And it was used for different purposes, and called by different names, depending on year and market

Cheers
DD

Old 06-09-2021, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member

I think that photo #6 is a vacuum regulator that allows/regs vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator - I had one on the LH side coolant rail if I remember... And I believe that it doesn't allow vac to be supplied to the FPR until the coolant rail gets to a certain temperature...?

Quick Reply: Mystery hour. Some vacuum, some electrical, some ???