XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Need headlight help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Need headlight help!

I have an 88 XJS with the double round headlights. I've been thinking about changing and have a couple options.
I've found a set do glass euro headlamps with bezels and clips. My question concerning these is if I have everything needed to install. Is there a mounting bracket needed or do these pieces hold them in place.
Second choice is keeping the double round and replace the stock sealed beams with the new aftermarket halo round bulbs. I would get the white halo with bright halogen bulbs. I've replaced all of the other smaller bulbs with led white where ever possible. Tad lights, most parking lights and such so the color would match.
I really want the euro lights but not sure if I'm missing any parts!! And they are pre facelift.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,284 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
I have an 88 XJS with the double round headlights. I've been thinking about changing and have a couple options.
I've found a set do glass euro headlamps with bezels and clips. My question concerning these is if I have everything needed to install. Is there a mounting bracket needed or do these pieces hold them in place.
Second choice is keeping the double round and replace the stock sealed beams with the new aftermarket halo round bulbs. I would get the white halo with bright halogen bulbs. I've replaced all of the other smaller bulbs with led white where ever possible. Tad lights, most parking lights and such so the color would match.
I really want the euro lights but not sure if I'm missing any parts!! And they are pre facelift.
If you have the clips, which are gimcrack looking items with a thick wire spring arrangement and a rubberised clip about 1.5 inches square that has a screw adjuster in it, then you have all you need. Three per headlight are required. Actually fitting them is a complete pain and it is very hard to get them in and properly to adjust the lights afterwards. Also the metal fittings on the lights themselves that the clips engage with tend to break off.

I happen to think the euro headlights suit the car better, but I have the double arrangement now, because RH dipping euro lights are unavailable from the factory and impossible to find in breakers over this side. The double lights are MUCH easier to deal with!

Facelift cars had a much better fixing and adjusting arrangement on the euro lights, involving a plastic frame the lights were mounted in, and if you can find a pair, they can be made to fit with a bit of effort, I am told.

Greg

Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The late plastic lens headlights are not good for visibility though... The high beams work OK, but the low beams are very vague. I have heard lots of complaints about them, and I agree. I like the look, but hate the beam pattern.

Dave

Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,895 Likes on 7,163 Posts

Complaints of poor lighting with the "Euro" lights are fairly common. This is one of those odd cases where some owners actually seek out "USA Spec" parts.....in this case the 4-lamp system, for which you can select from a wide variety of lamps and bulbs.

Not that anyone asked but I prefer the looks of the 4-lamp system. The Euro headlights make the front of the car look like an insect, IMHO :-)

Cheers
DD