XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Need paint advice :-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Damn, for $2,500, I'd drive up to Canada and let him do my car as well!

Let us know how it goes!!!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Hey, Spikepega, If this was a sixties muscle car I could see spending that kind of loot. One of those would be worth a bundle but sadly the XJS will never appreciate very much, at least in my lifetime. Amazing that the XJS cost so much and is worth so little now. The climate control system is my main worry/gripe about mine. All that said, I do love the old thing. Such a small amount of money gets you not only beauty but exotic too.
Cheers, RagJag

Old 04-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RagJag
Hey, Spikepega, If this was a sixties muscle car I could see spending that kind of loot. One of those would be worth a bundle but sadly the XJS will never appreciate very much, at least in my lifetime. Amazing that the XJS cost so much and is worth so little now. The climate control system is my main worry/gripe about mine. All that said, I do love the old thing. Such a small amount of money gets you not only beauty but exotic too.
Cheers, RagJag
The extra paint work indeed might not be cost-effective, at least in the context of resale value, but that really doesn't matter. If someone buys a vintage car (and XJS has that "vintage" look, even if this one is younger than 20 years) for personal enjoyment, tweaking the car (including paint) until one is content with that purchase is part of the package. In that context whether that series will appreciate or not also is moot, though I note that often it is hard to anticipate what will be desired in twenty or forty years.

regards

-d

The following users liked this post:
Spikepaga (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by gregh
I've read with good interest regarding some of the pitfalls of certain paint jobs, and to that end, I too am booked with a locally renown body man/painter who works for a Big-Three dealer by day, and restores sho-quality cars in his own shop. I spoke with him last week, he will do it in May, stripping it down properly and doing a Base/Clear water-born finish, which is the industry norm now-a-days. He quoted me $2500.00 for complete satisfaction.
My '89 XJS RagTop is in great shape body-wise, however a receipt from 2001 shows rocker panels (chip damage)being repaired and repainted. The Moron who did this job did a crappy job in matching the colour, and the previous owner never had the guy re-do it correctly. -When I look at the trunk lid and the rocker panels up the side over the rear wheels, it makes me steam.

I've been asked to join a couple local car clubs and show the car at some of their parking lot and arena shows, however just knowing somebody will do a double-take over the two-tone red paint keeps me from showing my baby.
I'll try to get photos of the painting progress, especially when he has it stripped down with the bumpers off. -I'm not sure whether he'll simply mask off the convertible top, or if he will lift/remove part of it prior to refinishing.

Congrats on finding such a great deal.

My (probably unhealthy) obsession demanded the custom-type work. At least on the sides of the car. Nothing but hours and hours and hours of labor will achieve that. The days of a 5000 or 10,000 top quality job are dead and gone. Most people would have been happy with my initial 11k job; but I am that dude that's standing around the car from all different angles trying to see how the finish looks when the sun is hitting it. I have no doubt that this was shop#1's finest work.....it's just that my idea and theirs of "a great job" is totally different, diametrically opposed.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RagJag
Cheers, RagJag
Well, too late to back out now anyway,I already left the car at the custom shop.........but I don't look at my Jaguars as investments. Both my XJS and E type where my grandfathers from new and resale or value of the vehicle is a non issue since they aren't going anywhere other than to a son if I ever have one.

I am not having second thoughts on it. Every time I saw all that awful waviness it just ruined the whole car for me.

Also if I was concerned about the value of the XJS I would not have repaired many of the higher cost things like the evaporator, getting new coils or hunting down a new cam cover from the UK. It's just part of having an older Jag. You WILL spend more money on it that it's worth.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by david i
The extra paint work indeed might not be cost-effective, at least in the context of resale value, but that really doesn't matter. If someone buys a vintage car (and XJS has that "vintage" look, even if this one is younger than 20 years) for personal enjoyment, tweaking the car (including paint) until one is content with that purchase is part of the package. In that context whether that series will appreciate or not also is moot, though I note that often it is hard to anticipate what will be desired in twenty or forty years.

regards

-d
Thanks for justifying my craziness, lol

Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned my Jag for little over six months and have used your photos for what I want mine to look like when she grows up... Your Jag looks great, but with that being said this problem will haunt you (because you know it exists). Just do it my good man! You'll thank yourself for it later.

Cheers,

-Tim

Old 04-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by david i

regards

-d
My sentiment entirely.

Spike, by the time mine is finished I will have pored at least $30K into it over the purchase price. I think I share your illness........

Old 04-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 06TimXJS
I've owned my Jag for little over six months and have used your photos for what I want mine to look like when she grows up... Your Jag looks great, but with that being said this problem will haunt you (because you know it exists). Just do it my good man! You'll thank yourself for it later.

Cheers,

-Tim
Thanks for the compliment Tim. The car was dropped of last week. It's already getting done :-)

Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
My sentiment entirely.

Spike, by the time mine is finished I will have pored at least $30K into it over the purchase price. I think I share your illness........

I bet a lot of us around here have that same illness, :-)