XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

need a restoration for my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Default need a restoration for my car

A series of freak events resulted in two unrelated but connected weird accidents
in my 89 xjs convertible. Fortunately no one was injured as the car was not occupied !!! So there is a lot of front end damage and the engine caught on fire briefly as a result of a transmission leak.

The insurance company want to restore, but I think they are nuts.

So trying to find a good restoration place not too far from Charleston, WV.

Anyone know of a suggestion ??

Thanks,
Ken

Old 05-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 846 Likes on 529 Posts

Maybe not nuts... when you posted the pictures, I thought the towing mishap was a shame because that was the mildest XJS engine fire I can recall seeing and looked like a reasonable recovery candidate.

The rest is just normal body work and there are now plentiful supplies of XJSs in salvage yards for the needed parts.

Good luck!

Old 05-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

You are correct, the engine fire came from the bottom, I believe it was from the transmission rubber hose that connects to the block. Biggest problem will be wiring loom at the top and the repair shop could actually put in new wires fairly easily from one side of the engine bay to the other. Body work is mostly fabrication and I also have another hood. Just might need bumper refab as I have the rest of the bumper parts. Will also need a new radiator. We will see.

Ken