XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New to Forum.. questions about fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum.. questions about fuel injectors

First off I have been lurking here for a while and found tons of great folks with good advise, I am a machinist by trade (for what that is worth) and I have an '89 XJS (VIN xxxxxxxxxxKC1527xx) that has been sitting for a few years . I know they like to be driven on a regular basis to stay healthy. But now I have the time to get my kitty into shape.
Ran like a top before being put into storage, now the tank has just a tad bit of petrol in it should I drain as much as possible and refill ? Main question being will there be the possibility of fowling the injectors with debris ? Or should I just fill up enough to get to petrol station or somehow purge the system before the injector rails first? I know letting her sit was bad and don't want make a bad situation worse. Any other tips would appreciated. I plan to change the fuel filter(s) ? as well.

Well that sums it up, if I have missed somthing vital please feel free to correct or ask. Thank you for input this seems to be great place.

Last edited by steveinfrance; 08-26-2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Full VIN removed for OP's safety
Old 08-26-2012, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

Hi DWM69 and welcome to the site. First, Ild like to suggest you introduce yourself in the new member section here: New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum that way the moderators will see you. They usually open your account up so you can post pics and stuff.

Now back to your questions. I'd suggest draining the tank. The gas will have spoiled by now and you don't want that crud gumming up your injector system. I would change the filter now, and again after you've run it for a bit.

I'd also suggest you inspect the fuel hoses VERY carefully before trying to start and/or run the car. They are notorious for failure and can quickly turn a prized find into a smoldering heap.

I'd also check the cooling system and make sure the level is up. There is a whole procedure for "burping" these systems to get the air out. It isn't difficult, but it is an absolute must.

I'm sure things will crop up as you move forward and this is a great place to obtain info to deal with it. We'd love regular updates on your project too!

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-26-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

personally, i would disconnect the fuel supply line from the rail, and put enough fresh gas to get a 50/50 ratio, then purge the entire system dry using the fuel pump relay.

then i would clean the tank, sump tank, replace fuel filters, and pour in some fresh gasoline.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:29 PM

DWM69, Nice to see another PA Jag Owner. I actually joined the forum quite some time ago but had to Re-join again just last night and this is my first post. I was just on my way over to the new member area when I saw your post. I had some heath issues and the Jag was the last thing on my mind.

Just to play it safe I'm getting ready to drain what's left in the tank again and put in some fresh fuel even though it hasn't been that long. I'm also "due" for injector hoses again as one or 2 look a bit wet.. I'm going to remove the entire fuel rail and as a Winter project, replace with some nice braided stainless "modern fuel hose". This is my 3rd XJS but I've never upgraded the fuel rail since I've had it and it's WAAAAAAY Due.

When I drained my tank, (as opposed to jumping the fuel relay and running the pump), I simply removed the old pump (it was due for replacement anyway) under the battery tray, ran the fuel pump inlet hose into a funnel that exited out of that "hole" under the battery tray into a large container. (I made a makeshift old gas cap with a hole in it and use a small amount of air from my compressor to pressurize the gas tank and push the remaining fuel out "manually".

Doing it that way, or using the fuel pump relay and disconnecting "up under the bonnet" like M90 mentioned both work pretty well.

Where in PA are you??

Brian

Last edited by XJS4me; 08-26-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Where in PA are both of you? I'm up near Wilkes-Barre. Used to live in Langhorne (Bucks Co.) a long time ago.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:40 PM

Hey Darel,

Small world. I'm right in New Hope, PA. I used to live in Holland, PA just outside of Langhorne (our first home) - and I grew up in Levittown.

M90power, I ran across your part out post. That's a nice project you have there. Those 3800 SC's are fun little powerplants. I met quite a number of people down the track when I had my Grand Nationals with the SFI 3.8's. A few of the Buick Rivera guys, Grand Prix and Bonneville SSEi guys really had those 3800's haulin'.

That swap wasn't really popular when I bought my first XJS. I was planning to lump it with a small block Chevy but sold it to get my 2nd (then 3rd XJS). I'll be following your swap. Can't wait to see that.

(Sorry for going off topic -but just wanted to comment).

Last edited by XJS4me; 08-26-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

XJS4me,

Are you going to the all-Brit show in Peddler's Village in Oct? Me and another Brit-car-nut friend are thinking about coming down. If he's nearby perhaps the OP can join us.

D

Old 08-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by XJS4me
M90power, I ran across your part out post. That's a nice project you have there. Those 3800 SC's are fun little powerplants. I met quite a number of people down the track when I had my Grand Nationals with the SFI 3.8's. A few of the Buick Rivera guys, Grand Prix and Bonneville SSEi guys really had those 3800's haulin'.

That swap wasn't really popular when I bought my first XJS. I was planning to lump it with a small block Chevy but sold it to get my 2nd (then 3rd XJS). I'll be following your swap. Can't wait to see that.

(Sorry for going off topic -but just wanted to comment).
ive been a Grand Prix enthusiast since i was 12, so it only seemed natural. right now ive got a Regal GS SC'd 3.8, a camaro 4 speed auto, camaro flexplate, firebird oil pan, camaro oil pickup, and camaro short tube headers.

the motor will be getting a modular pulley system for the blower, a full stack water to air intercooler, a Gen V m90 and LIM. and an nic camshaft with 130# valve springs, LS1 retainers, and a double roller timing chain.

but all those mods require tuning, so itll have to wait till ive got the engine wired up and the OBDII outlet installed.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:16 PM

M90, Awesome project. I don't want to junk up the thread / be off topic but I'll track down a few of your other posts on your car, it sounds great.

I agree tuning can be a real bear. I have some limited experience with the M112 on a newer Cobra but for the most part am unfamiliar if I were to do a transplant like yours. I'd often thought about doing a 3.8 231 SFI GN Motor in the XJS - that would be more in my comfort zone. (Nothing like your 3.8 SC Blower Whine though! Those L67's (especially the Series II's and III's can really make some reliable power.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:00 AM
Default Small World

First thanks for the replies they will help greatly. I live right on the outer philly area right near Buslelton and Byberry, near what used to be Nabisco now Kraft on route 1. I had not heard of the event in Oct but would love to go, maybe you could fwd some info on it to me, it would great to meet you guys.

Thanks, Doug

Old 08-27-2012, 02:31 PM

dwm69 here is the link Darel was nice enough to send me.

Keystone Region MG Club, Inc.

Just check out the October Calendar .

My birthday is the October 22nd and sometimes we take a Fall Vacation around that time so I'll have to see as the date gets closer - but I'm about 80% I'll be around on the 13th and may pop over there.

Small world - I was just down in your neck of the woods last week picking up some Bobcat mower parts from a guy on Craigslist.