XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New Owner 1982 XJ-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have continued to try to sort out this engine serial number issue. Several places reference number sequences starting with 8S18001. It makes no sense to me that my engine would have 10HE82 stamped on it rather than the appropriate seven character number. I brushed and scraped around the back area in the V where I found the number, but I find nothing besides the 10HE82.

BQ

Old 01-04-2015, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,189 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackQueen
Larry,
Thanks a bunch for your input. Are there any commercial product names for the Methyl Hydrate that you'd recommend?

BQ
No, just pick it up in gallons at any good paint supplier or hardware store - it's just basic methyl acohol cut with a bit of water - main use in the old days was to thin out shellac.

The following users liked this post:
BlackQueen (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 02:07 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just for a little perspective. I paid $1500 for my 86 XJS with 86k on the odometer. It also hadn't run in years and was nestled in a barn. At the time of purchase there was no intention on getting her running, intent was all restoration.

The plan is to sink about $30k into her, and yes at the end she'll be worth about $12k if I'm lucky.

XKS Unlimited will rebuild your motor for about $10k, at least that was the quote they gave me.

We got potential

New home

Now that's a motor

Now it's just waiting on a new home...... or school.

BlackQueen (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 07:46 AM

Jammin012,
Thanks for the photos! So, are you looking for a new engine, too? What is wrong with your engine?

What does your block have stamped there for it's serial number at the back of the V?

BQ

Old 01-04-2015, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

Well, not that it matters, but I'm feeling much better at winding up with maybe 15K in my 89 convertible, with a 6.0 and a 5 speed, lol.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

You should contact david@everydayxj.com He has a 89 with 49K miles on it. It really was too nice to part out, but needed too much to restore really. He is in Salisbury NC. Great guy, might meet you half way if you had a way to transport the engine.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:05 PM

I drove to Des Moines today to look at a parts car. The engine I showed earlier has a serial number of 8S32359SB. Using Sean's decoder, I got this:

Breakdown for 8S32359SB PREFIX : 8S Jaguar XJ-S 12 5.3L 12 cylinder SERIAL : 32359 Lucas Digital P fuel injection. HE (High Efficiency). Champion RS5C Spark Plugs. Gap .025". SUFFIX : SB Standard Compression with Grade B pistons & liners. (11.5:1 Compression) MFG YEAR (GUESS): JUL 1981 to LATER

It's not very specific, but it should fit. The decoder isn't specific about year. I have no way of knowing the condition. It looks good, though. I learned one important fact. The engine serial number is NOT in the back of the V as stated in a few different articles about it. It's right before the joint between the engine block and transmission.

It was quite a trip. Blowing snow, 30 MPH winds and 10 degrees F. I'm glad I didn't break down! I'm worn out!

Any comments about this engine are welcome.

BQ

Old 01-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

I feel sometimes I may come across as pessimistic, but I promise I'm not! Its just that I, or no one on this list could tell you about this engine. If your plan, is to keep, restore this car, you are at a major crossroads. I don't know how much the engine is, but no matter what, I would disassemble it, inspect every aspect of it, reassemble it with new gaskets, timing chain, and tensioner at a minimum. And that is if all was well, checked out good. It is simply too much work, to change out these engines to take a chance so to speak.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:43 PM

I have a quick question about interiors. Were all the seats and door panels the same color or were there variations depending on the color of the paint?

BQ

Greg in France (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,332 Likes on 5,476 Posts

I have a quick question about interiors. Were all the seats and door panels the same color or were there variations depending on the color of the paint?

BQ
Lots of different interior colours.
Greg

Old 01-05-2015, 10:55 PM

Jammin012,
Thanks for the photos! So, are you looking for a new engine, too? What is wrong with your engine?

What does your block have stamped there for it's serial number at the back of the V?

BQ

I'm not looking for a new V12, I'm going the way of the LS3 crate motor with a 4L80 6 spd auto. The V12 turns by hand but after looking at the plugs and talking with XKS Unlimited I'd rather not put the time or money in the V12. I really didn't like a few of the spark plugs soaked in oil and the rest bone dry and/or covered in grit.

I'll have to dig it out of the crate to check the numbers, I'll get back to you with numbers and pics.

Here's a couple pictures of the mockup motor and trans just for giggles.

This is NOT the oil pan I'm using

As you can see, serious clearance issues.

The one on the left is the GM XTS pan, the one on the right is an aftermarket specifically built for this, took forever to get.

No clearance issues

looking good.

Last edited by jammin012; 01-05-2015 at 10:58 PM.
BlackQueen (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by jammin012
I'm not looking for a new V12, I'm going the way of the LS3 crate motor with a 4L80 6 spd auto. The V12 turns by hand but after looking at the plugs and talking with XKS Unlimited I'd rather not put the time or money in the V12. I really didn't like a few of the spark plugs soaked in oil and the rest bone dry and/or covered in grit.

I'll have to dig it out of the crate to check the numbers, I'll get back to you with numbers and pics.

Here's a couple pictures of the mockup motor and trans just for giggles.
Jammin012, Wow! That's very impressive! So, you're using a Corvette engine? What are you going to do about the electronics to run it? Is that mockup a 3-D printed model? What a wonderful way to work out the engine swapping details. How much out of pocket do you figure the engine swap will cost you? Good luck with the job!

BQ

Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

The guys I've known that went this route, the RIGHT way, as it appears this one is being done, seem very happy with their cars. But, to do it right, I have no doubt in my mind, that you will spend more than getting a V12 to run properly. Including a rebuild, IF you do most of the work yourself. The biggest difference in it however, is peace of mind. Of all the guys I've talked to with the GM conversion, the LAST thing on their mind is it breaking down.

I had thought about doing a GM conversion years ago. But my idea was a little off the beaten path, lol. I figured to get the smoothness of the Jag V12, and be radically different, the 500 cubic inch Cadillac was the way to go.

There is a guy that visits our local Cars and Coffee, and he has a XJS with the LS Chevrolet motor, and it is pretty impressive. And he grins ear to ear about reliability, fuel milage, etc. Said it cost him about 12K to do though....

Old 01-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

This all goes back full circle to my asking your plans for this car. To me, others on this list, the challenge and reward of owing a V12 Jag is in....well.....owning a V12 Jag. If you are looking for the style and comfort of the XJS, but the reliability of a Camaro, well, that is the way to go.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedtr6
This all goes back full circle to my asking your plans for this car. To me, others on this list, the challenge and reward of owing a V12 Jag is in....well.....owning a V12 Jag. If you are looking for the style and comfort of the XJS, but the reliability of a Camaro, well, that is the way to go.
I always love the numerous v8 XJS's with the V-12 emblems still on them. To me the V-12 was the lure of the car. Mine has been amazingly reliable and trouble free for the past 7 years of ownership. Once sorted they are impressively smooth/reliable power plants and I love the crowd I get at events a C n C's I attend as people like to see the V-12 for the masses. I've owned enough V8 U.S. push rod power plants over the years....if I wanted another I'd buy it in the chevy and leave it in the chevy.

superchargedtr6 (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

My 86 has a SBC and Im very impressed with it. Lotsa power lotsa fun and a fantastic ride.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I love my V12 there is nothing smoother. I have also been blessed with Mechanical and electronic repair skills. Like my friend Jammin012 I have enjoyed Jaguars in stock form and also modified with SBC and 1 with a BBC. Helped a couple of folks that in my mind really STP with SBF's in E Types not the sharpest tools in the shed. When it comes to those cars I am a purest, but the sin had been committed so I made them run and the bonnets close. Bottom line here is if you have not been blessed keeping a V12 happy and purring is not cheap. The Joy of driving a Jaguar no matter the power plant is all the reward a man can hope for.

BlackQueen (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by tokyodon
I love my V12 there is nothing smoother. I have also been blessed with Mechanical and electronic repair skills. Like my friend Jammin012 I have enjoyed Jaguars in stock form and also modified with SBC and 1 with a BBC. Helped a couple of folks that in my mind really STP with SBF's in E Types not the sharpest tools in the shed. When it comes to those cars I am a purest, but the sin had been committed so I made them run and the bonnets close. Bottom line here is if you have not been blessed keeping a V12 happy and purring is not cheap. The Joy of driving a Jaguar no matter the power plant is all the reward a man can hope for.
Tokyodon,
This sounds poetic. It makes me want to think of it as Haiku with a lot of extra words.

Bottom line here
If not blessed keeping V12
Purring is not cheap

;-]
BQ

Old 01-08-2015, 10:13 AM

The LS3 Crate motor is an aftermarket kit GM created because of demand. It comes with all the electronics to run the motor. The 4L80 6spd is also an aftermarket creation. You can find them at Jets or Summit. About $16k+ for both.

The conversation with XKS went like this. It's going to cost $10k to rebuild the motor and because it's fuel injected we can't run it to make sure everything works because we would need your computer. If it were an E-Type then yes, but because it's an XJS it may not be worth it.

The LS3 will be cracking out 400+ HP and 400+ ftlbs. To get that out of the V12 would take more than $16k and is, well, impossible.

BlackQueen (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 10:21 AM

The E-Type is one of the sexiest cars ever made and to think of one without a 6 or V12 hurts my heart

Last edited by jammin012; 01-08-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: New Owner 1982 XJ-S