XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New spoiler question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 02:26 PM
Banned
Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts
Default New spoiler question

I just got the trunk lid spoiler today and it has electrical wires in left support and in the middle of the spoiler, I assume this is to move the trunk lid brake light which I'm not going to do as it would leave holes and impression where the brake light is now.
There is no attachment hardware for the mounts. The guy I bought from on UK ebay posted another spoiler and it clearly shows threaded studs coming out of the supports, can anyone tell me what I need to attach the spoiler to the trunk lid ?
Thank you

Old 03-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by macdoesit
I just got the trunk lid spoiler today and it has electrical wires in left support and in the middle of the spoiler, I assume this is to move the trunk lid brake light which I'm not going to do as it would leave holes and impression where the brake light is now.
There is no attachment hardware for the mounts. The guy I bought from on UK ebay posted another spoiler and it clearly shows threaded studs coming out of the supports, can anyone tell me what I need to attach the spoiler to the trunk lid ?
Thank you
The spoiler should have threaded studs underneath pointing down. It should also have the nuts and washers to mate with the studs. Are you saying that the spoiler you purchased has no studs? That would be a problem; if so, please, confirm that. What year model car is this spoiler from?

Some of the wires your spoiler came with are for the built in third light LED's, which I personally prefer because the existing light is in the middle of the trunk lid and ahead of the spoiler, so the spoiler gets in the way. You'll have to connect those wires to the ones that are connected to your existing third light, unless like you're saying you don't want to bother removing that light because of the holes it will leave. In my case, since I had my car painted after that, I just had the body shop plug those holes, so the whole thing looks like a stock install. Needless to say, there's a world of difference between an XJS with spoiler and one with no spoiler. Your Kitty will acquire a highly enhanced stance with the spoiler.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
macdoesit (03-22-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 387 Posts

My thoughts are... thank god. put it back on Ebay and enjoy the look of the lines of your car without that useless lump of plastic. Oh and +1 if you remove that 3 brake light.

My 2 cts worth..But then i'm nearly 60 so biased :-)

macdoesit (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,403 Likes on 5,511 Posts

Thank you

Mac, easy enough to find some threaded rod to make the studs. Thread might be UNF, UNC or metric so test carefully to be sure. Metric is the most likely I reckon. Yes you do have to drill the bootlid. Make sure you carefully align the thing before drilling so the aerial goes through the hole!
There was a slim third brake light in the spoiler, and that is what the wires are for. If your spoiler has not got this light, then I do not know if they are available or not. If not, then I would suggest you just fill the indent and forget about the wires.
Greg

macdoesit (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
The spoiler should have threaded studs underneath pointing down. It should also have the nuts and washers to mate with the studs. Are you saying that the spoiler you purchased has no studs? That would be a problem; if so, please, confirm that. What year model car is this spoiler from?

Some of the wires your spoiler came with are for the built in third light LED's, which I personally prefer because the existing light is in the middle of the trunk lid and ahead of the spoiler, so the spoiler gets in the way. You'll have to connect those wires to the ones that are connected to your existing third light, unless like you're saying you don't want to bother removing that light because of the holes it will leave. In my case, since I had my car painted after that, I just had the body shop plug those holes, so the whole thing looks like a stock install. Needless to say, there's a world of difference between an XJS with spoiler and one with no spoiler. Your Kitty will acquire a highly enhanced stance with the spoiler.

Cheers,
The studs are not there. It is a new spoiler and it does fit.

Last edited by macdoesit; 03-22-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by malc4d
My thoughts are... thank god. put it back on Ebay and enjoy the look of the lines of your car without that useless lump of plastic. Oh and +1 if you remove that 3 brake light.

My 2 cts worth..But then i'm nearly 60 so biased :-)

I'm going to stick with it, I like the looks of it and I'm nearly 60. lol

Last edited by macdoesit; 03-22-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Mac, easy enough to find some threaded rod to make the studs. Thread might be UNF, UNC or metric so test carefully to be sure. Metric is the most likely I reckon. Yes you do have to drill the bootlid. Make sure you carefully align the thing before drilling so the aerial goes through the hole!
There was a slim third brake light in the spoiler, and that is what the wires are for. If your spoiler has not got this light, then I do not know if they are available or not. If not, then I would suggest you just fill the indent and forget about the wires.
Greg
I was wondering how to find the thread type without taking the spoiler to hardware store or buying a bunch of different threaded studs.
I sat the spoiler on and lined the hole up with aerial so it is a good fit.
I might look into some nice LED's to connect to the wires but I will leave the existing brake light alone.
Spoiler did come with felt pads for the bottom of mounts.
I'm thinking either paint the spoiler or have it chromed and leaning towards chrome.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I like the look of the rear spoiler. I'm was muscle car guy back in the day and like the look of satin black spoilers. That's the color I will paint mine in the future.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

I'm going to stick with it, I like the looks of it and I'm nearly 60. lol
Of course you stick with it, Mac... If you purchased it, it must be because you like the looks of the XJS cars that feature that sexy spoiler. Myself, I purchased the spoiler very soon after I purchased the car, which was 16 years ago and for the same reason that you did, and that's because it truly adds an exclamation point to a car that already exhibits a very unique stance.

At first I thought that malc4d was actually joking when he called this beautiful spoiler a "useless lump of plastic", but soon I realized that he's actually serious about what sounds like negative and backward thinking, although I'd guess that everybody has the right to an opinion, no matter how much sense it makes, or doesn't make. Just, please, don't follow that advise...

I had no idea that the spoiler could come with no studs. Is the spoiler from a donor car? Just follow Greg's advice for the studs, which I believe for sure will be metric.

When I did mine, I first checked for a new spoiler at the local Jag dealer and they could get me one fast for only a cool $12,000.00 and change.... Part of that cost was this special logic module that directs the traffic in a manner that controls the boot lid and the radio antenna operation so you can't destroy the antenna under any circumstances. Needless to say, I chose not to buy that version, but I had to make signs (English and Spanish... LOL) to leave in the car for the parking lot attendant when I parked the car at the airport and ditto for anywhere somebody gets to move the car around. This is something that you need to keep in mind because that lid will put a nice bend on that antenna. I was actually going to design a similar module myself, but since I have never had any problem with it, not even a close call, I have procrastinated; maybe I'll reconsider it and do it in the future, but don't let this deter your enthusiasm. Boy, am giving ammo to Malc4d or what...

Cheers,

Old 03-22-2016, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 387 Posts

No ammo lol. I was semi joking, but l don't like the well named 'spoiler' look (or that horrid 3rd brake light). But ammo for you, l do have the small leaper. BUT it didn't mean drilling holes and l can put the growler back in 2 mins

Old 03-23-2016, 11:19 AM
Banned

If everyone had the same opinion it would be an awfully boring world.
Sometimes I try to please myself, this is one of those times.
The spoiler is new unused.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

If everyone had the same opinion it would be an awfully boring world.
Sometimes I try to please myself, this is one of those times.
The spoiler is new unused.
Nothing better than pleasing yourself via something that involves this beautiful kitty. Lucky of you that you could get a brand new spoiler from somebody other than the Jaguar dealer and without having to shell out the ridiculous $12K that they tried to get from me. Is it possible that it may be a reproduction unit from an alternate source? I'm wondering if the major independents carry the spoiler, as well.

It just occurred to me that I should search used parts sources, such as wrecking yards, to see if they could get me that electronic module for the radio antenna operation and for a decent price, so I don't have to put one together myself. I need to find out where it is exactly located in the car. Problem is that it needs to be from a 1994 or newer V12 of which not that many exist, let alone in wrecking yards...

Cheers,

Old 03-23-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malc4d
No ammo lol. I was semi joking, but l don't like the well named 'spoiler' look (or that horrid 3rd brake light). But ammo for you, l do have the small leaper. BUT it didn't mean drilling holes and l can put the growler back in 2 mins
The leaper is definitely not a popular item with XJS owners, including myself, but I should say that it is a thing of purely personal taste. Personally, I think the bulky leaper is too much relief contrast against the XJS' rather flat hood, especially that of a super flat pre-face lift hood. Conversely, the leaper blends in much better on the sexy, curvy hood of a sedan, perhaps except for the XJ40 hood. Then, the growler is flat and it blends in perfectly with the XJS flat hood.

The name "spoiler" is correct because it is designed to alter the ram air flow in a way that air flows faster under the spoiler than above it from different curving/width of its top and bottom surfaces, thus generating down force at higher speeds when the car tends to get lighter and "fly". Of course, this is an issue with very light and very fast race cars and not necessarily so with the XJS when one considers how heavy the car is.
But it looks soooo darn beautiful.

Besides, what's so wrong with that "horrid 3rd brake light"? The spoiler looks even better with that integral third light on it. It is a perfectly blended row of red LED's that truly further complements the spoiler and the car's beauty. Sorry, but when you put an XJS with the spoiler on it and featuring the LED row third brake light next to an XJS with only that square "thing" in the middle of the trunk lid there's just no comparison.

Anyway, enough for today, I guess...

Cheers,

Old 03-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Nothing better than pleasing yourself via something that involves this beautiful kitty. Lucky of you that you could get a brand new spoiler from somebody other than the Jaguar dealer and without having to shell out the ridiculous $12K that they tried to get from me. Is it possible that it may be a reproduction unit from an alternate source? I'm wondering if the major independents carry the spoiler, as well.

It just occurred to me that I should search used parts sources, such as wrecking yards, to see if they could get me that electronic module for the radio antenna operation and for a decent price, so I don't have to put one together myself. I need to find out where it is exactly located in the car. Problem is that it needs to be from a 1994 or newer V12 of which not that many exist, let alone in wrecking yards...

Cheers,
Greg from france found it for me on UK ebay, I will try to find the post. It was 235.00 US I think
I have a thread Spoiler on page 2 go to Gregs post and click on the link

Last edited by macdoesit; 03-23-2016 at 07:22 PM.