XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New to XJS Dry rot suspension bushings - what to look for, where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 01:51 PM
Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New to XJS Dry rot suspension bushings - what to look for, where to buy?

Hello all,
New to the XJS (not Jag in general) and are currently working on a 94. The alignment shop said it needs new control arms but were unable to explain to me what that meant so the car is home. I expect the rear Radius arm bushings or the front A Arm bushings are what the tech meant. Cannot tell from his notes.

The question is, are the bushings in the rear arm replaceable by pressing them out or does it just makes sense to buy the assembly. Aftermarket is $150 or so, up to $325 for a "premium aftermarket " part. Whatever that means. Factory for arm alone is $365 plus bushings. What other parts would you all relace and order and where is the best place to go for the XJS?

I've looked at Barratt, Land Leaping, and Jag bits. All have suspension stuff.

Front bushings look straight forward, anything to focus on while the wheels are off?
Any help appreciated, including snide or comedic comments. Thanks in advance

Cheers Mike

Old 04-09-2024, 02:53 PM
Received 494 Likes on 261 Posts

I recommend, strenuously, that you find OEM "metalastic" and preferably NOS bushings. I've had absolutely terrible experiences with aftermarket bushings. In fact, I don't think I've ever had aftermarket last.

Can't tell you where to look, but add metalastic to your search terms to get close

The following 3 users liked this post by bullittandy:
Greg in France (04-10-2024), JJS- Florida (04-12-2024), LnrB (04-12-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,156 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Mike,

Before you decide whether to buy complete arms or just bushes, first of all, I'd really check your arms closely. Tap them and see if you get a ringing rather a dull sound to determine if they are rusting from the inside.

If you're buying bushes rather than complete arms, you may want to install the front ones with the air gaps at the side rather than fore and aft. This was the way they were fitted on the XJR-S and helps to tighten up the axle a bit. I've fitted mine that way.

As regards complete arms, the ones from Jaguar come complete with bushes installed. If you look at Jaguar's parts website, you'll see the arm itself is not sold separately. So, there would be little point in buying "premium aftermarket" for only a little bit less than the cost of original arms and bushes.

When you take the original ones off (which can get fun at the front mount), you might want to carefully look at the floor mount inside and under the carto check for rust. And get some wax in there before refitting the arm.

Good luck

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (04-12-2024), JJS- Florida (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 04:53 PM
Received 159 Likes on 117 Posts

Unless you have access to a serious hydraulic press I would not attempt removal/installing the rear larger bushes.
The smaller suspension bushes can be a bear too but it's doable with sockets and all-thread.

The following users liked this post:
JJS- Florida (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,441 Likes on 5,459 Posts

Hello,
As you're in Arizona you probably don't have a lot of problem with internal rust. But all that will be worthless unless you have proper front suspension bushings that will last you more than a couple years, specifically Metalastic brand.
Look at this thread:

I'll add one very important thing I didn't know when I finished that thread, After you have finished and have the car on the ground, BEFORE final tightening of the fulcrum nuts, Drive the car around a couple blocks, over a speed bump preferable, to completely and properly settle the suspension to its intended level. Nothing bad will happen and you'll see it settle to its natural height before your very eyes.

If you do this, Metalastic bushings will last another 40 years. If you don't, whatever bushings you have, no matter the quality, will be trash in about 3 years.
I can tell you how I know that!

For the trailing arm bushings, some like Poly (possibly because that's what most parts places have), but I did not. They're harsh to me, and transmit much more road noise and vibration to the car as it was't designed for Poly.

Look here, which is the middle of the thread, but when the light came on so to speak and I backtracked and did it properly.

You will probably need someone to press the large donuts in, and they go in One way, someone who knows what they're doing. A good machine shop should be able.

Someone (not me!) destroyed one of my arms with the words, "Ah, H***! Just give them to me! I'll press those, no need to Pay someone else to do it!" and it went, >plink< and I was off to the junk yard for another arm.

I wish you success.
(';')

Greg in France (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 05:19 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I am going with the complete arms for the rears. Once I got the car in the air the previous owner installed all new bushings, sway bar, tie rods, steering rack and A arms. The entire front looks brand new. The rear however is ready to turn to dust, anything rubber. Arizona heat. Appreciate the info. I'll post as I dig in.

Cheers ,Mike

Old 04-12-2024, 05:22 PM

fat fingered

Last edited by Notthd; 04-12-2024 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB
Hello,

I'll add one very important thing I didn't know when I finished that thread, After you have finished and have the car on the ground, BEFORE final tightening of the fulcrum nuts, Drive the car around a couple blocks, over a speed bump preferable, to completely and properly settle the suspension to its intended level. Nothing bad will happen and you'll see it settle to its natural height before your very eyes.

I wish you success.
(';')
Thank you for the reminder, I went through the same thing with the XK8 when I installed a Mina Gallery lowering kit. The suspension needed to settle and was not happy until I let her LOL.
Just like other girls in my life.

Cheers, Mike

LnrB (04-12-2024)