XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New XJS owner in North Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts
Default New XJS owner in North Carolina

Hello All!
Here's my new to me 1996 XJS. Originally an Arizona car so no rust!
The idle was a bit high so after some searching I decided that a hard reset of the ECU would be a good starting place so. . . . .
I disconnected the battery and let it sit overnight. (I bet you know what's coming next!) I reconnected the battery and it wouldn't start.
More searching and I learned all about the Security system. I pulled the SCU in the trunk, cleaned the contacts, blew the antenna fuse, toggled the ignition key a few times and finally got it fired up. Anyone know if it's possible to remove all the security stuff?

Next up is the steering. Feels like needs new rack bushings. The online places I've checked list them for up to 1994 models but don't mention 1995 or 96 models. Is there a difference? What about the Red vs. Black controversy? Any input is appreciated.

That's all for now. I'll post updates in the regular forums.

Attached Thumbnails New XJS owner in North Carolina-jag-3.jpg   New XJS owner in North Carolina-jag-4.jpg  
Old 08-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 302 Posts

First of all congrats and welcome to the brotherhood . Always nice to have another XJS owner in the Carolina's.

I'm not sure the non-start issue was the security system but at least you got her going again.

As to the rack bushings, they are the same on all the facelift cars unless you have the sports suspension which was not available on your model year. Polyurethane bushings will provide a tighter feel albeit with slightly more kick back from the steering. Black or red does not make that much difference IMO..

Cheers,

Allan

Old 08-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Welcome to the club! Nice to have a new member.
That is a beautiful example, looks real clean and the burlwood shifter and steering wheel can't hurt either. Quad lights, interesting.

When you said "it wouldn't start", did it crank at all, or it cranked but the engine wouldn't fire up? The security system (immobilizer) will inhibit the starter motor cranking when the system is armed via removing the ground signal that goes from the control module to the rotary switch in your shifter. When the system is un-armed, that ground will be present at the shifter switch -provided that it is in the "Park" position- from where it goes directly to the starter relay. If the engine won't crank (intermittently), provided than when it does, it cranks good, the problem may be in this ground path, or the starter relay itself and/or its terminals.

The jaguar security system is excellent on these cars and I would recommend to keep it there, by all means. The signal that locks and unlocks the doors with your remote is delivered from the security system control module to the door lock control unit. You kill the security system and you'll be unlocking your doors with the key like in the good old times...

If the engine cranks but it won't fire, that's a different story (ignition, injectors, etc.)

Good luck!

Reinaldo

Old 08-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

AllanG - "Black or red does not make that much difference" That's not what the makers say! I'd really like to upgrade the entire suspension package but the will have to wait a while.

Forcedair1 - Thanks for the info.
It did not crank. I read that disconnecting the battery causes the immobilizer to kick in. I tried the turn the ignition on and off three times while facing east trick to no avail. Then I pulled the security module, cleaned all connections, put it back together and it fired right up. Not as much fun as the procedure for programming the remotes but it is what it is!
As for the quad lights . . . the previous owner installed them. I'm not sure why (I didn't ask) but I like them.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by petemohr
AllanG - "Black or red does not make that much difference" That's not what the makers say! I'd really like to upgrade the entire suspension package but the will have to wait a while.
Well they would

On the steering rack it really does not make a difference. Other parts such as the suspension mounts etc are a different story, though quite often the Jaguar parts are IMHO better there.

I also like the lights

Cheers,

Allan

Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new car. I just got my 1989 xjs convertible on Friday. Have fun!