XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New XJS radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 385 Posts
Default New XJS radio

Hi all....Todays question

Has anyone here bought the New Jaguar radio that's available from Jaguar ?

The following users liked this post:
Jazz'n'Jags (05-08-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

As I recall they're very expensive.

But it sure looks better than the usual "Tokyo at Night" radios that are so common....and which look 100% out of place.

Cheers
DD

The following 4 users liked this post by Doug:
Flint Ironstag (05-12-2024), Jazz'n'Jags (05-08-2024), JJS- Florida (01-19-2024), roman_mg (01-19-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 08:34 AM
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I bought Blaupunkt RCM 82 DAB.
Price about 400 €.
It looks very good, has all the features of a modern radio and a retro look. Connection is simple, it can also extend the antenna. The sound is good 4x50 W, I just changed the speakers to more modern "two-way, center" ones with a plastic membrane. I am satisfied
No problems with the connection, it fits into the hole without any further modifications.

Last edited by roman_mg; 01-18-2024 at 08:39 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by roman_mg:
89 Jacobra (01-18-2024), Doug (01-18-2024), JJS- Florida (01-19-2024), Mkii250 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,168 Likes on 677 Posts

Definitely looks like it should be there.

Jack

Old 01-19-2024, 04:43 AM
Received 494 Likes on 261 Posts

That radio looks great but $1000 great?

I've just been through this with my '92, trying to find a radio that looks the part.

This is what I chose:

https://blaupunkt.com/product/skagen-400-dab/

The following 3 users liked this post by bullittandy:
Doug (01-19-2024), Flint Ironstag (05-12-2024), Mkii250 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 04:49 AM
Received 494 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
As I recall they're very expensive.

But it sure looks better than the usual "Tokyo at Night" radios that are so common....and which look 100% out of place.

Cheers
DD

"Tokyo at night" now thats funny 🤣

The following 2 users liked this post by bullittandy:
Flint Ironstag (05-12-2024), Greg in France (01-19-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 10:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bullittandy

I've just been through this with my '92, trying to find a radio that looks the part.

This is what I chose:

That looks rather interesting. I was actually just discussing this with a friend, because I'm looking at getting a "period-correct" looking radio for my E36 M3 as well, and I was thinking I could similarly find a radio with bluetooth that fits the Jag interior and doesn't look like the aforementioned "Tokyo at night" 😂 style headunit. (Radio stations here are more "miss" than "hit" for my musical preferences and I haven't had a cassette tape in ages).

For reference, the unit I was looking at for the Bimmer is from VDO/Continental. Still haven't decided if that's the route I'll take, but its orange display matches up well with the 90's Bimmer displays:

https://vdo-shop.com/en/multimedia/c...ntinental.html

Last edited by Jsquared; 01-22-2024 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:09 PM
Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

That Jaguar radio looks out of place too. Its got the modern styling of "Jaguar" where the J looks like a backwards L. Fine on my XE, but not on the XJ-S.

I bought the absolute cheapest single din carplay stereo on Amazon. I'm sure it will be ugly, but its better than nothing. It was $60, but its been too cold to install it.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (05-14-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 02:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roman_mg
I bought Blaupunkt RCM 82 DAB.
Price about 400 €.
It looks very good, has all the features of a modern radio and a retro look. Connection is simple, it can also extend the antenna. The sound is good 4x50 W, I just changed the speakers to more modern "two-way, center" ones with a plastic membrane. I am satisfied
No problems with the connection, it fits into the hole without any further modifications.

Thanks for sharing, it looks great. I purchased the Blaupunkt Skagen 400 DAB stereo. Can you comment if you you needed a special radio harness adapter to install the stereo?

Old 05-07-2024, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by bullittandy

This is what I chose:

I actually purchased the same radio as you! Is yours installed yet? If so, did you need to purchase a special radio adapter?

Car audio is something that is entirely brand new to me and would appreciate any installation advice.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Hi Albertajag

My Original Jaguar Radio, looked really nice but Sounded so bad, that I decided to replace it with something a bit more modern or should that be 'Kitch'? and so went 'Full Tokyo' Nights

Which cost me less than £20 on Amazon! where to be quite honest, I wasn't expecting much as the Stereo felt lighter than the Box it came in but when I switched it on the Sound was Amazing! as well as having Bluetooth, Aux and an SD Card Slot plus Remote Control

Where one of my reasons for going 'El Cheapo' was the Fear that some Car Thief, might decide to nick it out of my Convertible XJS where I was working on the Theory that he might have a much better Taste in ICE than me and then pass it by in Favor of something a bit more upmarket (a lot more upmarket!)

The Sound can give the Harman Kardon in my other Car a real run for its money and so I'm well pleased with my purchase, although for an even better Vibe, I can Plug my Phone into the Aux Socket, which sounds even more Amazing with a Graphic Equalizer App

I'd also never fitted a Stereo in any Car before, although once having done so, its easier than it looks and so that post contains some Photos that might help you

How I fitted a Stereo in my XJS

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Albertajag (05-15-2024), Greg in France (05-08-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

Period correct look Alpine, Blaupunkt, Nakamichi.

Old 05-13-2024, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Albertajag

My Original Jaguar Radio, looked really nice but Sounded so bad, that I decided to replace it with something a bit more modern or should that be 'Kitch'? and so went 'Full Tokyo' Nights

Which cost me less than £20 on Amazon! where to be quite honest, I wasn't expecting much as the Stereo felt lighter than the Box it came in but when I switched it on the Sound was Amazing! as well as having Bluetooth, Aux and an SD Card Slot plus Remote Control

Where one of my reasons for going 'El Cheapo' was the Fear that some Car Thief, might decide to nick it out of my Convertible XJS where I was working on the Theory that he might have a much better Taste in ICE than me and then pass it by in Favor of something a bit more upmarket (a lot more upmarket!)

The Sound can give the Harman Kardon in my other Car a real run for its money and so I'm well pleased with my purchase, although for an even better Vibe, I can Plug my Phone into the Aux Socket, which sounds even more Amazing with a Graphic Equalizer App

I'd also never fitted a Stereo in any Car before, although once having done so, its easier than it looks and so that post contains some Photos that might help you

Hey orangeblossom,

I have a 1989 Jaguar XJS pre face lift.

Thank you so much for the great write-up! You gave me the courage to tackle my first stereo job!

I manage to get the old Jaguar radio out today with your instructions. Can you let me know if our wires are different? My ground wire looks like a flat cable (1) and was connected to a radio via a screw. Also do you know if (4) is my antenna cable?

Here is how they connected to my radio

Upstream of the radio adapter in photo 1 are the following connectors. I did not see any bullet connects as described in your post, are they under the shrink-wrap? Did you cut the shrink wrap to expose them?

I would appreciate any help from the forum members. I am looking to remove the old Jaguar radio and install a Blaupunkt Skagen 400.

Old 05-13-2024, 06:57 PM

Hi Albertajag

Hey orangeblossom,

Thank you so much for the great write-up! You gave me the courage to tackle my first stereo job!

I manage to get the old Jaguar radio out today with your instructions. Can you let me know if our wires are different? My ground wire looks like a flat cable (1) and was connected to a radio via a screw. Also do you know if (4) is my antenna cable?

Upstream of the radio adapter in photo 1 are the following connectors. I did not see any bullet connects as described in your post, are they under the shrink-wrap? Did you cut the shrink wrap to expose them?

I would appreciate any help from the forum members. I am looking to remove the old Jaguar radio and install a Blaupunkt Skagen 400.

Old 05-14-2024, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

Albertajag,

4. is your radioaerual, and 1. dies look like an earth.

Don't cut any of the wires! Just find the right ISO adapter plug on eBay and interface that between the Jaguar plugs and the new unit wiring. Very easy and then the original unit can be reinstalled if required.

Cheers

Paul

Old 05-14-2024, 11:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate the heads up on this radio. Previous owners to my jag installed a quite horrible looking Red LED'ed Kenwood unit. I'm not happy with its operation. Sadly for my wallet, I'm quite enamored with that beautiful Jaguar radio and plan to order it soon (After repainting)

Old 05-14-2024, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Albertajag

This is how I fitted a New Stereo in my other XJS (my 1989)

Same Stereo with very Similar (but not quite the same) Wiring

Alas no 'Multiplug' and so I used 'Bullet Connectors' and while it looks like 'Spaghetti Junction' its really very Simple and very easy to do and also no doubt why some professional ICE fitters, can and do Charge 'Megabucks' for doing a job like this

There is nothing to be Scared of, as I can assure you that its a 'Piece of Cake'

Re: your previous Question, the 'Flat Connector' is the Earth and the other one you mentioned is for the Aerial and there is also another Wire to make the Aerial then go up and down when you Turn it on

When you Pull the existing Stereo out, look inside the Cavity for the Fuses!

Can't quite remember but I think that there are Two?

Same with the Immobilizer that I just removed from 'Cherry P' my 'Cherry Picker' and also the Immobilizer on my 1989 both jobs looked impossible but as always is to believe that if someone put it in there, then you can take it out

At least that works for me

Good Luck but I'm sure you won't need it, as this is a dead easy job, that is nowhere near as daunting as it looks!

Fitting a New Stereo to my other XJS a Step by Step Guide with Loads of Photos

Old 05-14-2024, 03:06 PM

Hi Albertajag

This is how I fitted a New Stereo in my other XJS (my 1989)

Same Stereo with very Similar (but not quite the same) Wiring

Alas no 'Multiplug' and so I used 'Bullet Connectors' and while it looks like 'Spaghetti Junction' its really very Simple and very easy to do and also no doubt why some professional ICE fitters, can and do Charge 'Megabucks' for doing a job like this

There is nothing to be Scared of, as I can assure you that its a 'Piece of Cake'

Re: your previous Question, the 'Flat Connector' is the Earth and the other one you mentioned is for the Aerial and there is also another Wire to make the Aerial then go up and down when you Turn it on

When you Pull the existing Stereo out, look inside the Cavity for the Fuses!

Can't quite remember but I think that there are Two?

Same with the Immobilizer that I just removed from 'Cherry P' my 'Cherry Picker' and also the Immobilizer on my 1989 both jobs looked impossible but as always is to believe that if someone put it in there, then you can take it out

At least that works for me

Good Luck but I'm sure you won't need it, as this is a dead easy job, that is nowhere near as daunting as it looks!

Fitting a New Stereo to my other XJS a Step by Step Guide with Loads of Photos
I really appreciate the prompt reply! I just read your guide, you definitely have gift when it comes to providing detailed instructions.

In regards to the fuse, do you recommend changing them? Did they blow with your radio install?

Thanks for your help and very cool cars! Loving the cherries!

Old 05-14-2024, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Albertajag

The Fuses could last for ever (ish!)

'If it ain't broke don't fix it'

So leave well alone!

Old 05-14-2024, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Albertajag
Hey orangeblossom,

Albertajag,

Show us a photo of the end of those plugs marked 2 & 3 in your first photo. You will be able to find a really cheap adapter plug which will interface to an ISO adapter, which is what the Blaupunkt unit uses. It's a simple neat way that avoids any wiring issues and is then reversible for you or the next owner.

Although my later car had a different wiring connector to yours, I found an adapter plug for $5 on eBay that enabled me to just plug in the new alpine unit. See my pics below. There will be an equivalent that you can find for yours.

Cheers

Paul

Quick Reply: New XJS radio