XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New XJS V12!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020 | 08:58 AM
|
Default New XJS V12!

Hi guys! I was browsing craigslist, as I usually do, and came across a 92 xjs v12. My dad used to have one, a beautiful 1992 example with 27,000 miles, cali car, yadda yadda. He had it for about 5 years until a drunk driver pushed him into a rocky ditch and the V12 CAT was no more. I always missed that car and promised that I would get one if I had the chance. I traded my beloved R53 Mini for it. Drove about 6 hours, and saw the car. Good news: runs and drives (kinda, will explain in a min). Car looks great from 30 feet away. Interior is ok, but definitely not jaguar level. And the headlights have been converted to dual bulb (which in my opinion looks more like a classic). The bad: paint is actually a maaco job, no jambs are painted and spots are cracking and checking, tires are way gone, rear bumper rubber is cracked, headliner is GONE, all 4 taillights are broken, most of the chrome has scratching from the maaco sanding. I inspected a few things before I bought it, as it has 155xxx miles on it. The oil dipstick was oily and not watery. A good thing. The trans fluid was not burnt or low. But, upon taking the oil cap off of the valve cover, there was a slight milkiness. I don't know if this is because it sat, or if the head gasket is about to check out. The car seems to run good once it warms up, but takes a while to start and is cold matured. No visible smoke from tailpipes. Catalytic converters have been cut open and probably gutted. Idle sits at about 1200 to 1500 rpm, unless it is in gear. The best part : I drove it into the trailer, after a quick test drive. Got it situated on the trailer, and was strapping it down, when I heard a hissing sound, and one of the radiator hoses blow rusty water all over the place. I would love to get this beauty back to it's original glory. I have read the post from the helpful aussie(cant remember the name sorry) about first things to do to a new jag to catch up on maint. Let me know what you think, any suggestions you might have, and the best place to get some of these parts! Thanks for reading my insanely long post!

Old 10-14-2020 | 09:47 AM

How much is the seller asking for? Any service history? I owned a '92 V12 previously and it was a great car. Personally I'd be inclined to keep looking for another candidate with better cosmetics as a starting point as well as some service history. As Doug wisely points out, paint and interior will cost a fortune to bring up to snuff if those are important to you. See what else is out there - good XJS options are not rare in the US in my experience.

The following 2 users liked this post by Noah:
JagGuardian (10-15-2020), pmontgo656 (10-15-2020)
Old 10-14-2020 | 10:36 AM
|

Guess I should have asked first... on this ship whether it sinks or not. Lucky for me, my main trade is paint/body. The interior needs a few touches (mainly wood veneering) and it would shine. My main worry is the beast under the hood. The paint is semi-serviceable for now and I would not hesitate to cruise it until I am ready to strip and paint it. I took the trade because my mini had just thrown the dsc and eml lights, and the dealer quoted me about 6000 to replace the computers and reprogram. So I figured even if this xjs has issues, that just means I get to bring it back to a beautiful GT car.

Old 10-14-2020 | 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Avalianteffort
, headliner is GONE, all 4 taillights are broken,

any suggestions you might have, and the best place to get some of these parts!

If you've been looking for a project, you've just found one

It may sound silly but sourcing tail lights might be one of the more difficult challenges ahead of you. I've heard of people searching for months and spending many hundreds of dollars.....for just one side.

The old XJSs are fabulous cars when everything is sorted out....and the sorting out can be very satisfying work.

To be honest, I would assume that every sub-system on the car (brakes, suspension, ignition, fuel, climate control, etc) needs some degree of repair or perhaps full overhaul. That's usually the case on cars like this. Then (as mentioned) you have the paint, leather, chrome...which runs into serious money.

I don't know what your budget is nor your skill level. And I hate to rain on your parade. But, when you mention 'return to former glory', I can see many, many, MANY thousands of dollars being spent on this car.

There's a lot of fun and satisfaction in fixing up an old car. But I think it would be wrong to encourage you without also reminding you to "go in with both eyes open". I'd hate to see anyone get part way thru a project ...spending a chunk of money.....and then determine it'll simply be too expensive to reach the desired goal

That said......

One big advantage for a Jag hobbyist has is that the Jag internet community is among the best there is. Virtually every trouble area/problem/failure mode is known and the cures documented and freely shared. You'll find lots of experienced people who are very happy to help.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
35olds (10-15-2020), 89 Jacobra (10-14-2020), Grant Francis (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020 | 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Lucky for me, my main trade is paint/body.

Ok, good. You've got half the battle licked.

Repairing the mechanicals isn't too bad on these cars....but there's a learning curve for sure. We can help !

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020 | 11:12 AM
|

I don't mind spending time and money for this. It is almost sentimental and I know that it will be at some point down the line. I have restored about 5 Datsun 280zx s , and am not afraid to get my hands dirty or search the world over for parts. As for other jags.. I happen to be sitting on a 1963 Jag Mark X as well. Not as sentimental, but on the list for sure. Just later. For now, I am focused on the Xjs, and I am ready for anything it can throw my way. Of course I say that until something goes wrong, haha. I'm glad the forums are active and helpful. Makes the job many times easier. Just be ready for some newbie questions soon!

The following 2 users liked this post by Avalianteffort:
89 Jacobra (10-14-2020), Grant Francis (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020 | 12:26 PM

Good job on the second on your list - money - time is guaranteed. If you want to get this right there's an excellent 'to do' list from a fount of knowledge on here called Grant -> To Do List

Be under no illusion deep pockets are needed, much depends on how much of the list you implement or take the chance on, I don't do chance and have spent a significant four figure sum on parts and fluids, you will likely need tools also and a means to get the beast into the air safely because you will be under it a lot, some things are easiest done by dropping off the subframes which is straightforward but somewhat intimidating.

You may want to cultivate an account with your local brewery / distillery / pharmacy (tick as required - at least one must be selected) as it may come in handy

Old 10-14-2020 | 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

She's a beauty, good luck.

Old 10-14-2020 | 02:30 PM

The milkiness in the oil cap might be a concern but could also be from an engine rinse. If you start it, you can look into the coolant cap when cold to look for bubbles while running. This will tell you a head gasket is bad and maybe answer why the oil was milky.

Old 10-14-2020 | 02:42 PM
|

Thanks. Is that a normal idle speed? 1200 is unusually high to me, but the fact of 12 cylinders is too.. Also have ordered every coolant hose, and will do a complete cooling system flush and overhaul. Once I do that, I may be able to see if the head is leaking.

Old 10-14-2020 | 03:02 PM

Way too high - 750 or so is normal

Old 10-14-2020 | 04:10 PM

Sorry I misread your post and didn't catch that you bought it. Congrats and good luck with her. I've got some random 92 xjs parts I'll look for to see if you might need any, but I don't have any tail lights. It definitely helps if you can do your own body work/painting.

Old 10-14-2020 | 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

I spent years battling heat issues, if the rad core itself is ok a professional flush is worth it, also gives you a chance to clear out the crap between that and the AC rad (known problem area) but as its a facelift car many improvements were brought in by Ford so your luckier than some of us.

Just beware of URO hoses (junk) and incorrect Tstats

Old 10-14-2020 | 04:54 PM

Lots of vacuum houses to check to get the idle down, many are behind the air filter boxes and some behind the driver's side headlight. There is a PCV on the back of the driver's air filter box at the very front.

Old 10-14-2020 | 05:02 PM

If you are a paint and body man this is a no brainer to me.
The engine is fairly bullet proof as long as they didn't abuse it too badly.
First things first. Know that you are going to spend say $2000 right off the bat to:
replace the battery; replace all fuel line hoses; new 8mm spark plugs wires; new plugs; new front brakes (bleed brakes too); new oil; new trans fluid and filter; flush and fill radiator (see the Forum here for detailed guidance - its not like a Toyota); new air filters; new wiper blades; new front shocks (you can do the rear later); properly service your Marelli ignition system; new sump tank filter and fuel filter, consider a new fuel pump too; new engine belts- all of them; new coolant hoses all around; and finally take the hood off, remove the cover over the radiator and pull the A/C condenser forward to access the front of the radiator. Clean it to provide proper air flow for cooling.
Wood veneer can either be locally/self repaired or replacements can be bought.
Headliner can be self repaired of taken to a shop. Taking it out is tricky but doable.

My .02 cents Good luck.
I once knew a guy from Durant. Chuck Hatch.

I recommend pressure washing the engine and compartment so that you can see exactly what you are doing.

Old 10-14-2020 | 05:03 PM

PS.....I have tail lights for sale.

Old 10-14-2020 | 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

91's are kind'a odd. They have the face-lift body with pre-facelift bumpers. They also get the "old" V12 before Ford upgraded everything including the 4 speed transmission.

Old 10-14-2020 | 05:11 PM

Ooops....wrong tail light style. I cannot help

Will a post '92 car with a 4 speed Over Drive transmission fit earlier model cars?

Old 10-14-2020 | 09:39 PM

Thanks. Is that a normal idle speed? 1200 is unusually high to me, but the fact of 12 cylinders is too.. Also have ordered every coolant hose, and will do a complete cooling system flush and overhaul. Once I do that, I may be able to see if the head is leaking.
Once ALL the vac leaks are sorted, the throttle discs and rods set CORRECTLY, then the MAIN culprit is the AAV.

Read the PDF attached, it is simple, but critical.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
AAV rebuild procedure.doc (2.24 MB, 33 views)

Last edited by Grant Francis; 10-15-2020 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Spelling still sucks
Old 10-14-2020 | 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people here. Even if we can't help, we will feel your pain! Congrats on joining the legion of people who realize that the XJS is quite a special car. Your ownership will be an experience. Best of luck! Just remember that if it gets a little too daunting, to take a step back and few deep breaths. Long ago and far away, mere mortal men like us, bolted these amazing machines together. What they did, we can also!

The following 2 users liked this post by Rivguy:
Grant Francis (10-15-2020), Peter Hutton (10-17-2020)

Quick Reply: New XJS V12!