XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

This new year, driving or saving?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts
Default This new year, driving or saving?

This coming new year, how much are you planning to drive your classic Jaguar? Or are you saving it for a special occasion? Depending on the particular model we own it could be worth a fortune, but most likely it is only modestly valuable monetarily. It’s emotional value to us as enthusiasts is priceless. Does this prevent us from enjoying the car as much as we should? I know that the daily grind of commute transportation can be really rough on our cars. In my employee parking lot my truck has been hit several times. I know that I don’t plan on exposing my beloved XJS to that kind of abuse. I used to keep my 1971 Buick Riviera in my garage and it was always clean and waxed with the interior spotless. I wouldn’t drive it in the rain unless I had to, or got caught in it, I just didn’t want to let all that work detailing it go to waste. I would drive it to work a couple of days a week and run errands and such on the way home. Luckily I was the only driver so I could park in the better spots and keep the interior clean and uncluttered. I also had my daily driver which was a Honda Civic that I had bought new and was only a couple of years old at the time.

It’s funny because when I was into riding motorcycles, my Harley was my pride and joy and I rode it everyday, everywhere. I kept it in good shape, but when it needed repair or a new paint job I fixed it and kept on riding. I drive my 70 Mustang pretty much every day, to work, errands, all over. This car isn’t perfect but it looks okay, everything works well enough, and it starts up every morning. My plan was to keep it running and fix up the details as I go along. I want to use my XJS like that. I wonder if I can. What’s your plan?

Old 12-30-2015, 12:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I try to drive my classic Jaguar every 2-3 weeks other than in the winter months. To me, the point of owning one is to enjoy it, and to me that's driving. I'm lucky enough to work out of town, 30 miles away, once a week so it's always a great run for her if the weather's okay.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

My 96 is my daily driver. I love driving it all the time. I don't have a garage so it'll just waste away if I don't keep it active.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:46 AM
JLG
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey -

I DRIVE mine...I don't want to be on my death bed some day (if I'm lucky enough to have one!) wondering what it would have felt like to truly enjoy my pretty v12 XJS! They were designed and built to be DRIVEN!

If one wants to make a sound investment, invest in targeted real estate or something similar.

Enjoy life - it's way too short...my two cents.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I try to drive mine weekly.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I plan to run the **** out of it and have some fun

Old 01-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Eaa
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

This winter, parked plus maintenance etc. Is that "saving it"? As soon as the salt is washed off the roads in the spring, and I put everything back together, drive if the weather's ok!

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (01-02-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Well, my driving/saving (miles) curve is kind of twisted. It seems like I have already done the driving and, thus, find myself nowadays saving odometer miles...albeit too late....

It all starts with a 50 miles far work location, meaning 100 miles everyday for, count them, 10 years, followed by a 35-mile far job, everyday for another 6 years. No, not the XJS alone, but split driving with my sedans at two days a week for my XJS vs. three days a week for the sedans. First with my beloved BRG XJ8L (sold with 100K miles) and then my current XJR that has now 90K miles. This is how I drove my XJS for a lot of miles before I decided to do two things with it. First, I decided that it was time to stop putting so many miles on the poor kitty, clearly identifying its value over the sedans and second I began to show it at local gatherings, for which it became necessary to perform some refurbishing. Then, the refurbishing was followed by mild, smart convenience mods, performance mods, cosmetic mods, all for the sake of making my kitty an attractive and impressive show car, including the latter great color sanded BRG paint job.

BUT, by then it was too late regarding miles, so my kitty became a beautiful queen, albeit not so young a queen... Can you blame me for not driving it a lot anymore? It has now gone over the 100K, but it looks and drives like a showroom XJS.

However, for the new year I believe that I will be driving it much more because, first, I think I should be enjoying my achievement a little bit more than I've been doing of late and second, the miles are already high, so what difference a few more miles can make, and for what/who, if I'm not planning to sell it?

Yes, let's drive them and let's enjoy the usual praise that these kitties typically invoke... Hand waving approval from a 750i driver on the next lane, or "Sr. can we borrow your car for the weekend"? from a couple of young SoCal gals at the stop light, or the guys inspecting it when you walk out to the store parking lot, etc. You all know how that goes.
Yeah, it may be cheap to get one and yet, it can also generate attraction like few cars can.

Cheers,

Old 01-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

I love driving my XJS but I have other cars and I will not drive it in the Winter. I'm lucky if I get 1K miles a year on it...

Old 01-04-2016, 11:51 PM
Eaa
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I love driving my XJS but I have other cars and I will not drive it in the Winter. I'm lucky if I get 1K miles a year on it...
I agree, it would take a dire situation for me to drive the xjs in winter around here. I enjoy the car too much to hasten its destruction. And it's far from an ideal winter car anyhow, in my opinion at least (even though it has heated seats and my winter ride doesn't).

The following users liked this post:
XJSFan (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:50 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm in Oconomowoc WI and my car has never seen salt... LOL. It looks like a two year old XJS and I am trying to keep it that way.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

My 94 XJS has been with me for only 2 months. It runs great and looks beautiful. I want to drive it every day, since I live in the south that means winter too. However, until I finish going through all the wiring and hoses, she will not be driven far from home. Looking forward to this spring when initial maintenance is complete. Then it's top down and let her run!
...Jimmy

Old 01-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Daily driver here, I am planning on saving a bit of money this year to put into it. It has been a daily driver for 6 years now, and it is really starting to show. I usually fix what needs to be fixed on it, but I would like to update some things and prevent future failures this year. Full set of bushings, rebuilding the fuel rail, replacing steering rack, and hopefully a new radiator are on my to-do list.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

I am so lucky to be here in Florida... on 1-04-2016 I had my daughter pick up the fallen oranges and I mowed the front yard... as it was going to get near freezing....

I drove mine to work today... and will for the rest of the week... we do not have salt or any thing for the roads so I only have to worry about breaking the tires loose when it rains... if my wife is off some where in the minivan.... have a weather proof cover for it now mainly to keep the cats off my CAT...

will be driving it. it now has 100,000 miles...

Old 01-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts

You did say Classic Jaguar, you didn't specify XJS.

I don't have the car as a garage decoration, I think that's a waste of space. In the coming year, as in past years, I plan to Drive Nix at every opportunity, even creating opportunities as I feel the need.

My sig about says it all.
(';')

Old 01-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
I am so lucky to be here in Florida... on 1-04-2016 I had my daughter pick up the fallen oranges and I mowed the front yard... as it was going to get near freezing....

I drove mine to work today... and will for the rest of the week... we do not have salt or any thing for the roads so I only have to worry about breaking the tires loose when it rains... if my wife is off some where in the minivan.... have a weather proof cover for it now mainly to keep the cats off my CAT...

will be driving it. it now has 100,000 miles...
Lol you should still worry about breaking the tires loose when it rains...

Old 01-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Lol you should still worry about breaking the tires loose when it rains...

just heavy Fog here this morning and damp roads... and still have to watch for breaking the tires loose on a green light.... have to use a light touch....

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 01-08-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

No salted roads issue around here. Rain though brings on an
enhanced road hazard. slicker than .... at the first rain. and folks just fly, then lose control. Smash into folks trying to be careful.

Neat shot on the news yesterday. Folks trying to navigated flooded roads in SOCAl. One a white Lambo. Dipped right, water washing over his "bow". Actually better suited than other cars. Rear engine, air intake topside. Far less chance of water stalling the engine.

Way back when, I navigated some fairly deep water in SOCAl. MY 63
Corvair's rear engine and topside fan less susceptible to getting stalled out.

Further back, folks in the back country needed to ford a stream. Loosen or remove the fan belt. No fan to spray water back on to the ignition and stall the engine. On crossing, put it back.

Caveat, if an engine gets a snoot full of water, it may not merely stall, but lock by hydraulics and bend up a bunch of parts!!!

Carl

Old 01-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I just drove down to the LA area from San Jose yesterday. Took highway 5 no problems, there is a break in the weather until this weekend. Snow up on the top of the grapevine, pretty to look at not even close to the road. I took my wife to a craft industry convention (CHA) in Anaheim. I checked CL and found a local seller for some things I need for my XJS, a jack, battery case, and spare tire cover. I even saw a Hardtop for a XJS convertible, have never seen one. I'm following up on that . My car is still having some transmission troubles which I'll work on when I get home.

I drove down in my Ford F150. I bought this new in 2007. It's a base model with the V6, auto, long wheelbase and "access cab" That's the best thing ever. It has these little clamshell doors with about 18 in. behind the seat. I am constantly amazed by how good the over the road performance is. I was averaging 75-80 mph. and the thing is so smooth and quiet and the handling and steering are very secure. And this is the cheap one! This truck had to work hard though towing my Jag back last September.

I don't blame anyone for not taking their car out in harsh winter weather. I was mostly referring to turning your car into a garage queen. Unfortunately I got interested in Jaguars just when my finances are in a bind. Got most of my money going out to pay for my kid's college. Still I can finagle a buck or two to put in my car and in the Spring I'll put my Mustang up for sale, again. Progress is slow and careful. Stay safe.