XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

No Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by cassidy
I

Additionally, there was what I would call an inordinate amount of "oil buildup" on the left side of the engine where the manifold connects. It seemed kind of fresh and there was none on the right side. This could have been there when I bought the car (it has that plastic cover over the distrib. so I could not have seen it too easily). Could this be related to my problem?
You did!

Old 05-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello and greetings to all who have assisted with this thread. Just wanted to give y'all a status update and pose a few additional questions. After moving the family over 500 miles and opening a new business, I found some time to devote to the car. I changed all sparkplugs, plug wires, both air filters, and the fuel filter and, low and behold, I have a sound running jungle cat purring in the garage. Runs and drives great (though I think it might be time for new tires, shocks, and an alignment, as the front end seems to float at high speeds). It's always the simplest things, right?

Now, to the most recent issues: the check engine light came on yesterday and shows a failure code of FF67, which I understand to be an air system failure. I also refueled yesterday, and after driving 25 miles used a quarter of a tank -- that's on pace for a little over 8 miles to the gallon, down from approx. 12, which has been the norm for me.

The car still runs great, but I'm of course concerned with these issues. Can someone (or many ones) give me some instruction(s) on correcting the fault in simple, layman's English (particularly with a southern American lexicon if possible) and tell me whether or not there is a correlation between the air system failure and the drop in fuel economy? Is it safe to drive considering these issues?

Also, (based upon the position of the temperature gauge) when should the auxiliary fan initiate? If I allow the car to idle for, say, 20 minutes after a hot start, the dial will move slightly right of the "N" towards "H," but the auxiliary fan never starts. It just seems like it should come on before that. I don't know that the auxiliary fan has ever come on since I've owned the car, though I have watched it during the aforementioned conditions, and considering the climate in which I live (temperatures in the mid-80s in early May), I think I'll eventually need it.

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from everyone.