XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

OBD2 and running rich 1996 4.0 I6

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, it's been a while, but things are nearly finished.

I had a few suspicions about the new mass airflow sensor, and they were proven correct. As it turns out, the replacement model was out of specification; just enough, of course, to cause a confusing annoyance.

The company that manufactured the rebuilt unit was happy to receive it for testing, and replaced it with no hassle at all. I will be sure to jot down the name of the manufacturer and post it here.

The first part may have been out of spec, but their attention to warranty replacement was admirable and very fast. I won't hesitate to use their parts in the future.

Aside from the MAFS, there were a few other bits and pieces that needed work. Many things were cleaned, many sensors were replaced. I decided to replace all the coils, as well, for good measure. Since one had gone and a few others were threatening, I figured it was time.

To combine a few threads, I've also had the brakes installed while the vehicle was there for diagnostics. I damaged my neck a bit, and I just figured I'd get it all done in one go.

EBC rotors and EBC Redstuff pads for the front, and I'll give the rears the same attention shortly. I also replaced the calipers, lines and hardware. That thing has no excuse to squeal now. I wasn't taking any chances on that one; squealing brakes make any car feel like a POS.

Becoming fed up with the classless "under-dash-switch" operation of the electric radiator fan, I renewed my search for a new thermostatic switch. A bit of struggle suggested that they are very hard to come by, but the fellow at Fasterjags was happy to help out, and ordered one for me from the U.K..

Now, much credit goes to the thorough diagnostic abilities of Rob at Almost New Auto in Winterville, NC. The man really takes his time to do things properly, and knows his stuff. He worked with me to sort a lot of that vehicle out, and if anyone needs a shop in eastern NC, it's certainly a consideration.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

Very interesting... I'm facing a similar situation with my '96 VDP. Generally it runs like s**t. The problems started when I changed the crankcase ventilation breather. The car started misfing at idle and it gradually got worse to the point that it became undriveable. I've changed the ignition coils, fuel pump and went completely through the crankcase ventilation system to be sure everything was properly connected. No change. The car hadn't been throwing any DTCs, which adds to my confusion... Last night I pulled a PO727 DTC... I ordered a CPS from Advance which I'll pick up on my way home from work tonight...

Last edited by Roger95; 04-26-2012 at 07:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts

Re: your MAF

As I mentioned on my previous post about ignition coils having to be OEM , so does the MAF. Electric parts are Jaguar specific and cheap aftermarket copies are an expensive headache in the long run.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:16 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Re: your MAF

As I mentioned on my previous post about ignition coils having to be OEM , so does the MAF. Electric parts are Jaguar specific and cheap aftermarket copies are an expensive headache in the long run.
Well, the MAF is rebuilt, but it was genuine to begin with. The new replacement is working perfectly. New genuine Jaguar MAF sensors are not just expensive, they are stupidly expensive. The last one I saw was $2,500.00.

For some reason, parts for the 1996 models are much more expensive than others.

I'm not cheap by any means, but that's pushing the limits of sanity on a car I paid $11,500.00 for. I can replace this sensor eight times before it begins to lose financial sensibility, and that's only if I have to pay for the replacements, and it doesn't look like that's going to be an issue.

Either way, I think it's going to be just fine. The results look very promising.

I've got other projects to pour thousands into. My Land Rover is receiving most of my attention right now, and extensive modification.

The Jag is about to receive a lot of financial attention, as well, but I needed the engine sorted out first.

I'm prepping right now for a custom leather and blood wood trunk, and using painstakingly sourced period correct audio gear to bring it up to standard. I've got a Precision Power Art Series A404 waiting to french into the trunk, and I'll be using Focal coaxial speakers in the cabin.

There are some other niggles, though. Some of the clear on the wheels is crazing a bit, and that's a severe annoyance. Finding a treatment to remove it without destroying the diamond-turned aluminum surface is proving difficult. Once I do, though, I can clear them again.

The Celebration alloys are pretty darn stupid from a heat-shedding viewpoint so far as the brakes are concerned, and they are unnecessarily heavy, but I want to keep them for now, and they need to look new. It's just bothersome that the pretty metal finish is so finely machined, as it makes restoration difficult. I could have them expertly powder coated in clear or color in two days for flat-out peanuts if it wasn't for that finish.

I've also got to sort the climate control, but that's more of a hassle than an expense. The last little bit is the air intake. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the AJ-16 doesn't exactly use it's entire air filter. I mean to fit a more efficient air-box.

After that, it's all gravy. A couple of sway bars, perhaps some shocks, and going through the entire interior to bring it up to my standard. The car is a serious head-turner, but I've never liked the interior colors.

I'd rather put the two-and-a-half grand into this fun stuff. Nothing wrong with rebuilt parts so long as they work.

The following users liked this post:
Hitch (10-24-2016)