XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ok it’s hot as $...! Help with cool?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 02:52 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Ok it’s hot as $...! Help with cool?

clearly the ac isn’t working on my 88’ xjs. But not only that I can’t even get it to blow air temp in. I replaced the heater valve the other day. It was stuck open but the new unit made no difference. I’m wondering if the whole vacuum system in my car is junk. Twisting any temp knobs or the the cold/warm lever does nothing. Should it make any noise when moving the dials or switches. Like motors moving flaps etc? Cause I have zero sounds etc. just about 120 degrees of air. So naturally I keep the fan at zero and the windows down... even then the heat of the engine alone warms the cabin. I want to switch the ac to 134 but at this point I don’t know if anything besides the blower fan is working! Best place to start? Test the compressor? Test flaps? Sorry for the scatterbrained questions

Old 07-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Best place to start is checking the 4 system fuses: #10 and #11 in the main (LH) fuse box, #5 in the aux (RH) fuse box, and the inline fuse which, as I recall, is near the RH side of the main a/c case, behind the RH console 'cheek panel'.

The servo motors are very quiet so you might not hear them over the fans. Might be easier to hear/see operation of you remove both cheek panels.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-14-2018, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by 944xjs
clearly the ac isn’t working on my 88’ xjs. But not only that I can’t even get it to blow air temp in. I replaced the heater valve the other day. It was stuck open but the new unit made no difference. I’m wondering if the whole vacuum system in my car is junk. Twisting any temp knobs or the the cold/warm lever does nothing. Should it make any noise when moving the dials or switches. Like motors moving flaps etc? Cause I have zero sounds etc. just about 120 degrees of air. So naturally I keep the fan at zero and the windows down... even then the heat of the engine alone warms the cabin. I want to switch the ac to 134 but at this point I don’t know if anything besides the blower fan is working! Best place to start? Test the compressor? Test flaps? Sorry for the scatterbrained questions
l would start testing at the vacuum system. Start at manifold and just check each line in turn. If you don't have vacuum you will not have a/c flap control and heater valve will be stuck open. The a/c vacuum solonoids are easy enough to get to in order to check them and their vac lines.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Best place to start is checking the 4 system fuses: #10 and #11 in the main (LH) fuse box, #5 in the aux (RH) fuse box, and the inline fuse which, as I recall, is near the RH side of the main a/c case, behind the RH console 'cheek panel'.

The servo motors are very quiet so you might not hear them over the fans. Might be easier to hear/see operation of you remove both cheek panels.

Cheers
DD
Yeah, I was wondering about fuses. The fan also only seems to work on high so even harder to hear any servos doing anything.

Originally Posted by baxtor
l would start testing at the vacuum system. Start at manifold and just check each line in turn. If you don't have vacuum you will not have a/c flap control and heater valve will be stuck open. The a/c vacuum solonoids are easy enough to get to in order to check them and their vac lines.
Thanks, yeah I need to do a full vac lookover. Hopefully between fuses and vac it’s something fairly easy.

Side question... everything seems in order and still no cold ac. would it be better to just switch the system over to 134 or try and give it a can of R12 first?

Old 07-15-2018, 05:11 AM
Banned
Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Does the compressor engage ?

Old 07-15-2018, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by macdoesit
Does the compressor engage ?
i really have no idea. I don’t hear any clicking from it. I’m new to the xjs climate control too... is it always on? There’s no ac button? Or does pulling the temp knob out turn it on? Little embarrassing but I don’t have the owners manual so it’s a little confusing.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

OK, just a minute. Before you can start fixing it, we need to define what the problem is.

Question 1 : Do you get air flow when you set the fan speed switch not to zero?

The way it's supposed to work is that the A/C compressor is always on, IF the fan speed is not set to zero. This might seem wasteful because the A/C compressor is on even on a cold morning when you have full heat. That's the way it is.

Question 2 : on the temp knob, can you pull it out? If so, you have Delaniar Mk III. If the temp knob has no feature where it pulls out, you have Delaniar Mk II.

On the Delanair Mk III, pulling out the temp knob overrides cabin temp control using feedback from the cabin temp sensor, and just sets the air temp.

So try this : Fan on medium, pull out left hand knob. With the engine warm, vary the set temp. The air temp and direction should vary.

My understanding is that when you have the fans running, AND you vary the temperature, there is no response - to either the direction of air flow, or to the temperature. Is that correct? If so, forget about vacuum for now, as the servo motor is electric.

Last edited by Mark SF; 07-15-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

I don’t hear any clicking from it. I’m new to the xjs climate control too... is it always on? There’s no ac button? Or does pulling the temp knob out turn it on?
The climate control system is 'on' unless the mode control knob is turned to 'off'.

The compressor operates in all modes: heating, cooling, blending, defrost. Thus, no separate A/C button

In your case I'd say the compressor is not engaging as the engagement click is quite distinct....and you're not hearing it. Confirmation would be visual: the pulley is always turned by the drive belt, obviously, but when the clutch engages you'll see the outer section of the pulley spinning as well.

Pulling the temp knob out gives manual hotter-colder temp control. Pushing the knob in reverts to automatic temperature control.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-15-2018, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Just read the bit about the fans only working on high speed. Major clue this. This means that the climate control is being inhibited for some reason. As far as I know, there are 3 possible reasons for this :

1) The heater core is not getting hot. Bizzarely, the entire climate control system is inhibited when the heater core is not hot, including A/C, except that an override is allowed for high fan speed to give some defrost. There's a thermo switch on the hot water line.

2) No power to the climate control amplifier.

3) Blown climate control amplifier.

You're wasting your time messing with vacuum, and the A/C compressor. You need to get the other fan speeds working, then proceed.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mark SF
Just read the bit about the fans only working on high speed. Major clue this. This means that the climate control is being inhibited for some reason. As far as I know, there are 3 possible reasons for this :

1) The heater core is not getting hot. Bizzarely, the entire climate control system is inhibited when the heater core is not hot, including A/C,
Not exactly. In cooling mode the input from the coolant temp switch is bypassed. In other words, if you're asking for cold air the system does not wait for the coolant temperature to reach xxx-level. Of course the system has to recognize that cooling is being asked for. And, as you say, it is bypassed in defrost mode as well....and defrost mode always defaults to highest fan speed.

This feature is designed to prevent getting blasted with cold air when the system is in heating mode. when the coolant get warm enough to actually provide cabin heat the switch lets the system turn out.

As a test the switch is easily bypassed. Some leave it bypassed, in fact. Just join the two wires together

You're wasting your time messing with vacuum, and the A/C compressor. You need to get the other fan speeds working, then proceed.
I agree. Get the control system fundamentally operational and proceed from there.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-15-2018, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

An 88 should be Mk III. But it's possible it was built before the cutoff, and has Mk II.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mark SF
OK, just a minute. Before you can start fixing it, we need to define what the problem is.

Question 1 : Do you get air flow when you set the fan speed switch not to zero?

The way it's supposed to work is that the A/C compressor is always on, IF the fan speed is not set to zero. This might seem wasteful because the A/C compressor is on even on a cold morning when you have full heat. That's the way it is.

Question 2 : on the temp knob, can you pull it out? If so, you have Delaniar Mk III. If the temp knob has no feature where it pulls out, you have Delaniar Mk II.

On the Delanair Mk III, pulling out the temp knob overrides cabin temp control using feedback from the cabin temp sensor, and just sets the air temp.

So try this : Fan on medium, pull out left hand knob. With the engine warm, vary the set temp. The air temp and direction should vary.

My understanding is that when you have the fans running, AND you vary the temperature, there is no response - to either the direction of air flow, or to the temperature. Is that correct? If so, forget about vacuum for now, as the servo motor is electric.
yes, I am able to pull the knob out so I guess I have the Delaniar Mk III. I seem to have to turn the fan knob to high to get it to finally go on. I believe then I can got to medium or low from there. If I put it on defrost the fan does change sound and blows up against the windshield. It’s been 90 degrees and humid as heck in Illinois so I haven’t gotten to really diagnose if the fan is changing airflow but sure seems temp doesn’t change. I’ve twisted the temp knob from cold to hot (pushed in and pulled out) and it doesn’t seem to go from cool to hot. Feels almost like the center middle vent is cooler than the center left and right?

The climate control system is 'on' unless the mode control knob is turned to 'off'.

The compressor operates in all modes: heating, cooling, blending, defrost. Thus, no separate A/C button

In your case I'd say the compressor is not engaging as the engagement click is quite distinct....and you're not hearing it. Confirmation would be visual: the pulley is always turned by the drive belt, obviously, but when the clutch engages you'll see the outer section of the pulley spinning as well.

Pulling the temp knob out gives manual hotter-colder temp control. Pushing the knob in reverts to automatic temperature control.

Cheers
DD
ill check to see if the clutch is engaging on the compressor. I’m not really sure because I always have the fan set to zero so anytime I’ve had the good open it wouldn’t be engaged anyway. I’ll also check the fuses. Obviously I want the ac to work properly but really just a nice cool air temp at times would be nice. Feels like I’m driving a train with a boiler

Old 07-16-2018, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,184 Likes on 2,101 Posts

The default mode for the heater valve is open, so heat is always the fallback. It takes vacuum to close it That being said, it's worth a check of the right side intake manifold to see if the vacuum pipe is actually connected to the maniolfd. It's a small pipe, on my 94 it's maybe 1/8" dia plastic line.

For the fans, they bypass the control system on high and get 12V directly from a relay. For the lower speeds, they are controlled steplessly by a darlington transistor on a printed circuit in the blower fan housing. Those transistors are known to fail, so that will cause the motor to not run when anything less than high is called for. If you're handy with electronics, it's not that difficult to replace the transistor and rebuild the board. I'm pretty sure the circuit diagram and step by step photos are either here or on Jag-lovers.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
The default mode for the heater valve is open, so heat is always the fallback. It takes vacuum to close it That being said, it's worth a check of the right side intake manifold to see if the vacuum pipe is actually connected to the maniolfd. It's a small pipe, on my 94 it's maybe 1/8" dia plastic line.

For the fans, they bypass the control system on high and get 12V directly from a relay. For the lower speeds, they are controlled steplessly by a darlington transistor on a printed circuit in the blower fan housing. Those transistors are known to fail, so that will cause the motor to not run when anything less than high is called for. If you're handy with electronics, it's not that difficult to replace the transistor and rebuild the board. I'm pretty sure the circuit diagram and step by step photos are either here or on Jag-lovers.
I wasn’t sure if the valve was always open or closed. The one I replaced was open but would’ve taken a hundred pounds of vacuum to close as it was rusted open. I need to check all the vacuum system. Im pretty good with electrics so I would definitely replace a transistor etc. my guess is the worst part is getting to the blower fan?

Old 07-16-2018, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

. Im pretty good with electrics so I would definitely replace a transistor etc. my guess is the worst part is getting to the blower fan?
Here's some info:

Air conditioning blower control

I did this job and removing the blower was probably the most difficult job I've ever done on a Jag, personally. But experiences vary.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-16-2018, 08:35 PM

Here's some info:

Air conditioning blower control

I did this job and removing the blower was probably the most difficult job I've ever done on a Jag, personally. But experiences vary.

Cheers
DD
haha, most difficult coming from you sounds a bit scary, Doug! Hopefully tomorrow I can just find a bad fuse or lost vacuum. My guess is there is no Freon in the system which also doesn’t allow the compressor to turn on correct? Ugh hvac in cars has never been my strong suit.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:54 PM

Well I got to take a look today... I’m getting no compressor clutch engagement and I know it’s because it has zero R12 in it. I took off the filler port cap and touched it with a key.... I’d say there was about .25psi that escaped and then nothing. All fuses are good. Haven’t gotten to follow all the vacuum lines yet. The fan wants to turn on when I put it on low... I get the fan to kick on at high but then I can turn it down to medium or low from there. I really think I just need to fill up the Freon. Is switching to r134 a big job or easy?

Old 07-17-2018, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Is switching to r134 a big job or easy?
All that is really required is changing the fill ports and then filling it up. However, you obviously have a leak, so you need to find the leak first. A common suspect is the retaining plate on the compressor that holds the hoses on. It's really a bit thin, and bends a bit when tightened by the bolt in the middle and doesn't hold the hoses square to the compressor.

At this age, it can be many things. I just fixed the AC on an 81 XJ12 and it ended up being two tiny corrosion pinholes in the condensor that I had to braze up. That after I went through and changed the O rings in every joint, changed the compressor and the receiver dryer. It had been apart before, and whoever put it together didn't know what they were doing and put in wrong sized O rings.

To do AC right, you need all the tools: vacuum pump, full gauge set and hoses, can tap and thermometer. Also patience and thoroughness.

My leak finding procedure is I have a hydrocarbon detector good to 5 PPM, and I have made an adapter so I can use my BBQ propane bottle to connect to the gauge set. I vacuum the system, give it about 5 psi of propane and then go over each joint with the detector. It works quite well to find leaks.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
All that is really required is changing the fill ports and then filling it up. However, you obviously have a leak, so you need to find the leak first. A common suspect is the retaining plate on the compressor that holds the hoses on. It's really a bit thin, and bends a bit when tightened by the bolt in the middle and doesn't hold the hoses square to the compressor.

At this age, it can be many things. I just fixed the AC on an 81 XJ12 and it ended up being two tiny corrosion pinholes in the condensor that I had to braze up. That after I went through and changed the O rings in every joint, changed the compressor and the receiver dryer. It had been apart before, and whoever put it together didn't know what they were doing and put in wrong sized O rings.

To do AC right, you need all the tools: vacuum pump, full gauge set and hoses, can tap and thermometer. Also patience and thoroughness.

My leak finding procedure is I have a hydrocarbon detector good to 5 PPM, and I have made an adapter so I can use my BBQ propane bottle to connect to the gauge set. I vacuum the system, give it about 5 psi of propane and then go over each joint with the detector. It works quite well to find leaks.
Every car I own has an ac leak or doesn’t work... I read something about the compressor having it’s own fuse and blowing a the fuse once the Freon gets too low so that the compressor doesn’t fry?

Well today for the first time testing the hvac system everything seems to work except the ac. I’m used to most cars turning the fan on and it instantly blasting away. Today I finally just turned the fan to low and It turned on it’s just nice and quiet. Then I twisted the temp knob. At its coldest the fan is blowing pretty decent trying to cool the car(not going to happen with no Freon). So while still in low I twisted the temp knob to the highest heat. The fan auto slowed down. So the system is all working I just don’t have Freon. I’m going to switch over to 134 because I can’t rely on swap meets to carry R12 if I need a boost. I can find it pretty easy now but future?

Old 07-17-2018, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

. I read something about the compressor having it’s own fuse and blowing a the fuse once the Freon gets too low so that the compressor doesn’t fry?
Earlier cars had a superheat switch, later ones had a pressure switch. If the freon pressure was low the pressure switch would prevent the clutch from engaging to preserve the compressor. The superheat switch melted if the freon temperature got high from low freon. It doesn't work as well as a pressure switch and has to be replaced if it trips. A pressure switch doesn't need to be replaced. If a compressor fails and seizes, then there are bits of metal spread throughout the entire AC system. Basically you have to replace everything the freon touched at that point. A very major and expensive job.

Quick Reply: Ok it’s hot as $...! Help with cool?