XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

One Headlamp or Two? Jaguar XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

I had a huge problem when I uprated the quads on the Scabby Cabby and gave up in the end; I think that the higher output bulbs had blown some inline fuse somewhere that I couldn't locate.
I think that the trick is to put extra relays in to handle the higher current draw (could be completely wrong of course!).
The biggest pain will be removing the old main mounting brackets and fitting the new ones as access is a little tight.
You have to get the mounts first of course.
Which I just happen to have...............

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (11-23-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts

if you are basing your theory that both lights where original because of this photo :

Name:  5096C7D1-C768-4D53-986F-B1A2C7C9FDB1_zpsqp5qiyxk.jpg
Views: 2073
Size:  43.8 KB

then you are incorrect. Jaguar had already had to compromise the original covered lights on the E type due to the U.S. market regulations across the entire E type range , so on the XJS they made The original lights for England and the rest of the world and US only lights for the U.S. only.. this is the reason that "quad" lights are only found in the US and absolutely no-where else (when new)

Last edited by Spikepaga; 11-21-2014 at 06:57 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
Greg in France (11-22-2014), orangeblossom (11-23-2014), someguywithajag (08-18-2018)
Old 11-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

OB,

You certainly know how to get conflicting opinions from the members here! I'm so looking forward to your next 2 threads - "Should I put chrome wheelarch lips on my XJS?" & "I'm thinking of fitting an economical diesel engine in my V12 convertible"!!

Just to add my fuel to this fire:

It seems pretty clear that Jaguar designed the XJS to have ovoid headlamps but recognised early on that the vagaries of US legislation meant that they had to fit a compromised twin light setup for that market. I think that's reinforced by the fact that as soon as legislation had changed by the time of the facelift, they immediately fitted the ovoid headlamps to the US market as well. The US facelift ovoids are not just LHD lights, they have perspex lenses instead of the glass ones that are fitted in other countries. I think even Germany has glass LHD lenses on their XJS lights. I find it interesting that ovoid lights seem to be referred to as "Euro" lights whereas they are really the "worldwide" headlights and twin lights are "early US" fitment.

I suspect that the majority of views are influenced by how people first remember seeing an XJS. US owners first saw an XJS with twin headlights whereas everyone else saw XJSs with ovoid headlamps and slim bumpers, and thought twin headlamps and ugly big bumpers were a US legislative compromise.

The fitment of twin lights in the UK to XJSs only really happened from 2004 when the facelift lights became unavailable new. There were even reports of cars being scrapped because they couldn't replace a broken light and pass an MoT. This gave rise to the much increased prices of good 2nd-hand units. I bought one of the last new lights and a 2nd-hand one at the time as contingency for the day when I break a light. (I also fitted the rare Jaguar perspex light over-covers as protection).

There's no doubt that twin lights give better light output than the poor ovoid light output. However, that can partially be remedied with the significant improvement from the fitment of bulbs such as Philips X-treme.

If I was building a track car or a modified custom XJS, I might fit twin lights. However, for standard cars, I would always go with the original fitment. But then I just like the original look. If I lived in the US and had an early XJS, I'd probably like twin headlights!

Greg's comment about me having a pair of new late facelift US ovoid lamps has actually made me feel guilty about keeping them! They may be worth big money, Greg, but not quite the pension plan that you suggest! I originally bought them "just because I could" and thought that one day I would sell them to a concours participant. But I think I might just sell them now to a worthy owner. (Watch out for a 'For Sale' thread soon!)

So, my suggestion, OB, is stick with the originals because you know deep down that it's one of the reasons you love the car! But definitely upgrade the bulbs with Philips X-treme or similar.

Paul

PS Now you know what we think when we see twin headlights on an XJS!

Attached Thumbnails One Headlamp or Two? Jaguar XJS V12-mustang-2.jpg  

Last edited by ptjs1; 11-21-2014 at 07:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
orangeblossom (11-21-2014), someguywithajag (08-18-2018)
Old 11-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
if you are basing your theory that both lights where original because of this photo :

then you are incorrect. Jaguar had already had to compromise the original covered lights on the E type due to the U.S. market regulations across the entire E type range , so on the XJS they made The original lights for England and the rest of the world and US only lights for the U.S. only.. this is the reason that "quad" lights are only found in the US and absolutely no-where else (when new)
Actually... Germany had the Quads aswell... Even with adjustable beam regulators and co... But as an option from factory...

The following 3 users liked this post by Daim:
Greg in France (11-22-2014), orangeblossom (11-23-2014), someguywithajag (08-18-2018)
Old 11-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

@ OB

If you want to upgrade the Quads to ovals, I've got two incl. bezels and wipers... I would be prepared to swap. Mine are RHDs...

Old 11-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

My personal preference is for the quad lights. To my eye it looks better than the euro lights.

I also prefer the look of the pre-face lift cars. On the face lift cars I think the euro lights look appropriate.

Mark

Old 11-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

I liked the quad lights as I ran aircraft style lights for high beams. I upgraded the low beams to a better bulb and wiring and rewired for high heat in the high beam aircraft lights. Fog lights under bumper with headlights were good at highway speeds at night, but the aircraft high beams could see for a mile while at speed. The single light looks good, but for function quads are better. The Europeans were converting the single lamp style to quads for more light. If you are going for your own style, go with what you like. If you want function, go quads.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,773 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

You certainly know how to get conflicting opinions from the members here! I'm so looking forward to your next 2 threads - "Should I put chrome wheelarch lips on my XJS?" & "I'm thinking of fitting an economical diesel engine in my V12 convertible"!!

Just to add my fuel to this fire:

It seems pretty clear that Jaguar designed the XJS to have ovoid headlamps but recognised early on that the vagaries of US legislation meant that they had to fit a compromised twin light setup for that market. I think that's reinforced by the fact that as soon as legislation had changed by the time of the facelift, they immediately fitted the ovoid headlamps to the US market as well. The US facelift ovoids are not just LHD lights, they have perspex lenses instead of the glass ones that are fitted in other countries. I think even Germany has glass LHD lenses on their XJS lights. I find it interesting that ovoid lights seem to be referred to as "Euro" lights whereas they are really the "worldwide" headlights and twin lights are "early US" fitment.

I suspect that the majority of views are influenced by how people first remember seeing an XJS. US owners first saw an XJS with twin headlights whereas everyone else saw XJSs with ovoid headlamps and slim bumpers, and thought twin headlamps and ugly big bumpers were a US legislative compromise.

The fitment of twin lights in the UK to XJSs only really happened from 2004 when the facelift lights became unavailable new. There were even reports of cars being scrapped because they couldn't replace a broken light and pass an MoT. This gave rise to the much increased prices of good 2nd-hand units. I bought one of the last new lights and a 2nd-hand one at the time as contingency for the day when I break a light. (I also fitted the rare Jaguar perspex light over-covers as protection).

There's no doubt that twin lights give better light output than the poor ovoid light output. However, that can partially be remedied with the significant improvement from the fitment of bulbs such as Philips X-treme.

If I was building a track car or a modified custom XJS, I might fit twin lights. However, for standard cars, I would always go with the original fitment. But then I just like the original look. If I lived in the US and had an early XJS, I'd probably like twin headlights!

Greg's comment about me having a pair of new late facelift US ovoid lamps has actually made me feel guilty about keeping them! They may be worth big money, Greg, but not quite the pension plan that you suggest! I originally bought them "just because I could" and thought that one day I would sell them to a concours participant. But I think I might just sell them now to a worthy owner. (Watch out for a 'For Sale' thread soon!)

So, my suggestion, OB, is stick with the originals because you know deep down that it's one of the reasons you love the car! But definitely upgrade the bulbs with Philips X-treme or similar.

Paul

PS Now you know what we think when we see twin headlights on an XJS!
Hi Paul

The 'Chrome Wheel Arches' look hideous and whenever I see them on a Car, I always think that they were put on to hide 'RUST'

As for fitting a Diesel, now that's a different matter altogether, as I really do like the idea of fitting a Diesel but only on the proviso that it could be an Automatic.

Having said that it would probably kill the Performance, which is really what its all about.

But then again in an ideal World, I would have a Diesel XJS as a Daily Driver and a V12 XJS or the Summer.

P.S.

I nearly fell off the Wagon to-day, when I came across one of the New Shape XJ6 to use as a Daily Driver, it was absolutely gorgeous and would have loved to have it on my driveway.

Just for the 'Pose Factor' alone! but somehow I just managed to resist, though had it been an XJS to add to my little Collection, then I'm sure it would have been a done deal.

Greg in France (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 07:07 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

I have no leaper, and I have also changed my lights to the quad set-up, personally I like the look so much better then the singles, they tend to look like a frog from the front IMO. I kept my old lights, you never know one of children may take interest in it and change it back. Its simply personal preference, and I was never big on square singles, I think its just what dad had bought that was the big influence, started with a 64 Toyota Dyna truck and then a Ford ZB Fairlane then a Holden HQ Statesmen, all had quad round headlights.
Must be just genetic programming I think.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Before I had an XJS I thought the singles looked odd, because I hadn't seen them much. The car I own has single euro lights on it and the more I see double american lights the more I hate them. Everytime I see them IRL they just look so cheap and thrown together. They don't look like they belong on the car at all.

I suspect the only reason many other people like them is because it is what they are used to and they like the XJS regardless, so never put much thought into the dual headlights until they eventually saw singles and it looked "wrong" to them.

I think the doubles are pretty hideous and have a detrimental effect on on the elegance and look of quality to the car.

Not meaning to be offensive to anyone or say their cars are ugly. I just think they look ridiculous.

EDIT: I wrote singles instead of doubles in one spot
I am also thinking that I like the Single Headlamp style of the XJS and so I will 'probably' stick with what I have.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bc xj
I prefer the look of the quad set up. I feel it gives it move of a 60's muscle car look that I prefer.
Having said that Ive kept the the single lights off my convert. Might want to change them someday.
Its a very tricky dilemma, as I have never actually seen an XJS with Quads in the flesh, so I think I need to do so, before I make up my mind.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Well, they are not part of the original design of the car, so they are in a way "out of place".

I do like the original euro lights better as well, with one single exception: quads on a pre-facelift coupe in that old English white colour.
Hi Mark

I quite like the Quads on the 'Gothic' pre face lift design but as I don't have any 'at the moment' then I will probably stay with the Single Light set up.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tokyodon
That is a tough one I recommend two XJ-S's then you can have both styles It works for me 76 has Quads the 77 has euro singles.
Yes I agree!

At least two XJS's are the bare minimum.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

coupe? I could see them on a old english white convertible with a blue top, maybe because the top has a business to it that follows the quad lights and something about the white fixes the cheesy plasticy look to the headlamp surrounds a little. BUT i think it would still look better with singles
I hate all White Cars with a 'passion' with the only exception being a White XJS, which seems to carry that Color really well.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
I think they both have merits, I'm neither drawn to or away from either. I feel the quads look better on the pre facelift and the singles look at home on the color bumper facelifts. I'm not going to get into phyco babble on my brain being conditioned because I own quads and am used to them, therefore I know no better....now THAT is ridicules!
I really do agree on that as the XJS is a cool looking Car, regardless of the type of Headlamps fitted.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
The 'Euro'/single lamps make the front of the car look like an insect! Really ! Take a good look and you'll have to agree! Looks like insect eyes !

Well, that's what I see, at least

Gimmee the quad lights any day o' the week!

Cheers
DD
They don't look quite as bad as that on my Car, although I see what you mean.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brake buster
right from the early prototype days of the design BOTH types of headlights have been on the XJS

there is a photo in one of the ' XJS ' books showing a half and half car with one euro and one quad fitted to it in the factory , as the quads were always designed for the US market ( and others ) from the beginning knowing the euro headlight would not pass regulation , this picture also shows early rear quarter designs and XJ trims on the car as they were trying things out

so, its down to taste and market and what you are used to

I personally think the Euro design is in keeping with the lines of the car, but I also think the quad setup gives the care more attitude

I have resisted fitting quads to my fully bodykitted XJS

BB
Cheers BB They certainly help to give the Car a much more purposeful look.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

if the euro lights look like a bug the american lights look riced out

it seems like the quads are always the ones with those horribly tacky chrome fender flare covers as well

Dunno, the look pretty cool on that Black XJS, I quite like them!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Both gone now, sadly.
The set I have for sale are out of the black one.

Attached Thumbnails One Headlamp or Two? Jaguar XJS V12-2012-06-17-006.jpg  
Old 11-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Received 500 Likes on 316 Posts

i do like the Azev-A wheels on the black car ,

i have a set of 17" and 16" Azevs that i have had refurbished, but will run with the 18" Jaguar Flute's till the tyres are done

BB

Quick Reply: One Headlamp or Two? Jaguar XJS V12