XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Oops. Just bought a '91 XJS with no motor!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Yes, pull the knee plate under the ignition switch. There's a grub screw on the side of the ignition switch, loosen it and the back electrical section will pull free. Inside you'll see a set of numbers inked on a sticker on the inside of the mechanic a section. take them (numbers) to a locksmith and he can make you an ignition key. Edit mode on.....(looking back at this, this may be of no help based on your original inquiry)

The following users liked this post:
Padre (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Yes, pull the knee plate under the ignition switch. There's a grub screw on the side of the ignition switch, loosen it and the back electrical section will pull free. Inside you'll see a set of numbers inked on a sticker on the inside of the mechanic a section. take them (numbers) to a locksmith and he can make you an ignition key. Edit mode on.....(looking back at this, this may be of no help based on your original inquiry)
Actually, very helpful, because I need to get into the trunk as well. I need to check on the battery, then the fuel tank/pump/system, etc.

Padre

Old 06-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Unfortunately, IIRC that code is only good for the ignition.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Unfortunately, IIRC that code is only good for the ignition.
I had the dealer make a key for my 94, and it works on ignition, door, and trunk. Don't know about pre-facelift cars though. They look the same.

Padre

Old 06-26-2016, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,773 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Padre
I had the dealer make a key for my 94, and it works on ignition, door, and trunk. Don't know about pre-facelift cars though. They look the same.

Padre
Hi Padre

The keys of the 'Facelift' and 'Pre-Facelift' are quite different.

The 'Keys' of my '1995' Facelift.
The 'Black Key' does the ignition and boot/trunk
while the 'Silver Key' does the glovebox.

The (Jaguar) Button on the 'Black Fob' is for Automatic Central Locking as you know.

The 'Keys' of my '1989' Pre-Facelift.

The Keys of my Pre-Facelift '1989' V12
The 'Black Key' does the Ignition.
The Silver Key does:
The Doors -The Boot/Trunk - The Cubby Box and The Glove Compartment.
You only need the 'Dongle if you have an Immobilizer.

The Keys of my Pre-Facelift '1990' are very similar to the Facelift.

The Keys of my '1990' Pre-Facelift
are very Similar to the Facelift Cars
The 'Black' Key does The Ignition.
The 'Silver' Key does The Boot/Trunk-The Cubby Box and The Glove Box.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-26-2016 at 04:57 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Grant Francis (06-26-2016), Greg in France (06-26-2016), Padre (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,256 Likes on 5,437 Posts

Parts car arrived! No keys. Steering column drilled to allow steering. Trunk locked, passenger door jammed. Any ideas on how to proceed without keys?
Padre

Padre
Congrats on the cars. The passenger door should open from the inside just using the handle. If you cannot find keys, or the locks are jammed, here is a idea that has worked:
Remove the back seat, this allows you to undo the passenger side rear armrest as far as possible at the rear of the armrest, and undo the seatbelt fixing on the B pillar, and then swing/pull the armrest outwards. This will JUST give you access to the rear of the B pillar. Look in here through the access holes and you will see the ends of the two small bolts that hold the shutting loop into which the lock engages. With a pair of pliers or something similar, you can turn these so as to undo them (ie turn clockwise as you look at them, as they would be turning if you had the door open and were undoing them from the outside). Once completely undone the door will open with the locking ring still attached to the door lock mechanism on the door.
For the boot (trunk) it is best to drill a hole in the panel between the handle and the bottom of the panel where the boot lid meets the bumper. This enables you to pull the link between the handle and the actual catch, and the boot will open.
Greg

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (06-26-2016), orangeblossom (06-26-2016), Padre (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 05:30 PM

OK, no lost Incan gold in the trunk. Just a dead battery and a worn Starfish spare.

Connected a battery to see what lit up. Headlamps and fogs are good, as are the rest of the exterior lights. Insides as well.

The alarm is beeping, which is to be expected.

Next up will be to drain the fuel tank and flush the fuel lines. It's been sitting since at least 2009.

Padre

Last edited by Padre; 06-26-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:37 PM

BTW, orangeblossom and Greg, thanks for posting the information above. It will be very helpful to me.

Padre

Old 06-26-2016, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,773 Likes on 2,612 Posts

OK, no lost Incan gold in the trunk. Just a dead battery and a worn Starfish spare.

Connected a battery to see what lit up. Headlamps and fogs are good, as are the rest of the exterior lights. Insides as well.

The alarm is beeping, which is to be expected.

Next up will be to drain the fuel tank and flush the fuel lines. It's been sitting since at least 2009.

Padre
Hi Padre

There's a bit more than that in the Boot/Trunk

The ECU (eye wateringly expensive to replace)

The Fuel Pump

A Couple of Relays

Electric Aerial if She has one

All of them worth about as much as you paid for the whole car!

As for the Headlights (Virtually unobtainable!) So I've heard.

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/s...f&action=click

Old 06-26-2016, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Padre

There's a bit more than that in the Boot/Trunk...
Indeed... I was just hoping for the Incan gold. Of course, I suppose I should be grateful there were no bodies or illegal substances stashed away.

What I did note was the Coolant. Hmmm, why would someone with a V12 Jag carry around extra coolant in the boot?

Of course, this means I'll be looking for signs of overheating. But I'm not at that point yet.

Padre

Old 07-15-2016, 02:43 PM

On the way, finally!

2500 miles to go....

Padre

Old 07-19-2016, 10:29 AM

Ta da! Now in my driveway.

Big Kudos to Continental Imports in Oakland (who sold the car), to Montway Auto Transport from uShip that brokered the shipping, and D&Z Trucking that actually drove the 2500 miles.

So.

Now what do I do?

Padre

Old 07-19-2016, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Whose boot is that open??? Silver car or jet black?

Lost V12 and coolant container in the boot. Only one guess!!

Carl

Old 07-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...I don't know what your plan is from here...but that sure is a pretty car! Looks like maybe building a garage on that slab would be a good idea? Ha ha! Congrats on the purchases and for saving them from a date with the crusher!

I can see from the one interior picture of the silver one the panel beneath the driver's side dash that I am missing. At least I know what I'm looking for now...so thanks for that!!

Last edited by williewilkens; 07-19-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Added comments
Old 07-19-2016, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Whose boot is that open??? Silver car or jet black? Lost V12 and coolant container in the boot. Only one guess!!
That's the '90 V12 parts car, and I agree: he kept coolant in the trunk for a reason.

So plan is tentatively:
- Pull the V12 from the silver '90 at my leisure,
- Use parts from the 90 where needed in the 91.
- Lump the black '91.

Now the question is, do I go "old and busted", high-mileage LS1/4L60E combo or "new hotness" low-mileage LS3/6L80E? (MIBII reference. )

I'm leaning to the old LS1, because I've built them before, there are existing kits (JS), fewer electronics. And then once I get my feet wet, I'll have a lot more knowledge to do a better, newer motor.

Padre

Old 07-19-2016, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by williewilkens
Well...I don't know what your plan is from here...but that sure is a pretty car! Looks like maybe building a garage on that slab would be a good idea? Ha ha! Congrats on the purchases and for saving them from a date with the crusher!

I can see from the one interior picture of the silver one the panel beneath the driver's side dash that I am missing. At least I know what I'm looking for now...so thanks for that!!
Hey, parts will be for sale soon!

And here's what my backyard looks like now. The slab was for the previous owner's Class A motorhome. I have a garage/workshop, currently occupied by the '94. A lawn with the '90, and the driveway with the '91. I think my people are going to start worrying about me.

Padre

Old 07-19-2016, 11:54 AM
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

That black car looks to be in great condition inside and out. Most jag engine fire cars I've seen tend to have the clear coat flake off. It will be interesting to see what you decide to stuff in there.

Here's a xjs with a 350 that's been on the market for a loooong time if someone wants a readymade one
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5662356208.html

I wonder why he didn't do the LS given it wasn't a cheap build.

Anyway, I've been looking for a low miles 89+ Model year black xjs, don't seem to be too many around in that color with less than 50k miles

Old 07-19-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheWarlock
That black car looks to be in great condition inside and out. Most jag engine fire cars I've seen tend to have the clear coat flake off. It will be interesting to see what you decide to stuff in there.

Here's a xjs with a 350 that's been on the market for a loooong time if someone wants a readymade one
1984 XJS Jaguar sale or trade

I wonder why he didn't do the LS given it wasn't a cheap build.

Anyway, I've been looking for a low miles 89+ Model year black xjs, don't seem to be too many around in that color with less than 50k miles
Well, this one has 55k miles. Kind of.

Nice thing about the low miles, is that the suspension components look good. No rotted bushings, etc. My '94 AJ6 had 135k miles and I'm still replacing suspension stuff to get rid of some vibrations.

Also, it does not seem that lumped XJS's sell well. I'm guessing that Houston TPI was an older build (does look nice!).

Whatever I do, if I go with the new hotness (LS3), I'll take that motor out and reuse it elsewhere if I ever sell the XJS.

Padre

Old 07-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, parts will be for sale soon!

And here's what my backyard looks like now. The slab was for the previous owner's Class A motorhome. I have a garage/workshop, currently occupied by the '94. A lawn with the '90, and the driveway with the '91. I think my people are going to start worrying about me.

Padre
All that, and a basement too? Ugh. That is the one thing I miss from living in the Midwest. It took me a long time to figure out where to put my stuff in the basement-less house (and just about anywhere I could is the answer!). Well...and when it gets to parts available time, I know I need the covers for the fuse blocks on the left side of the engine bay, too. Ha ha! We're always looking for some sort of part, aren't we?

I've got the better part of 2 1/2 acres with no outbuildings. I have plans for some sort of garage, but haven't made any moves yet. Since we are a short distance off Route 66, I suggested some type of "vintage gas station" looking building...which surprisingly, the wife kind of liked the idea. So we are kicking around some design ideas at the moment. Maybe something will come of it. We're thinking cinder block construction, with the glass service station roll up doors...could be cool.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by williewilkens
I've got the better part of 2 1/2 acres with no outbuildings. I have plans for some sort of garage, but haven't made any moves yet. Since we are a short distance off Route 66, I suggested some type of "vintage gas station" looking building...which surprisingly, the wife kind of liked the idea. So we are kicking around some design ideas at the moment. Maybe something will come of it. We're thinking cinder block construction, with the glass service station roll up doors...could be cool.
And a lift! Wish I could put one in mine, but it's too low and the concrete is not suited to it.

Padre

Quick Reply: Oops. Just bought a '91 XJS with no motor!