XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ordering tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 09:16 AM
Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Ordering tie rod ends

Greetings!

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered what I thought were some ACDelco tie rod ends (part #46A0580A) from Amazon Prime. All well and good, but the tie rod ends did not have the metal seal clamps that, to me, would seem to help keep the grease in the boot and the crap out. So, then I went and checked out RockAuto and they had the 46Ablah tie rod listed as an "Economy" and then had another one listed as a "Daily Driver" (part #45A0580) for a touch more. I'd never ordered from RockAuto, but thought I'd give it a shot and see what the difference was between the two. I just got them last night and they look exactly the same.

So, here's what I'm wondering:
1. Either the Amazon Prime supplier or RockAuto shipped the wrong part in the right packaging
2. They're the same part, but just a scam for you to think you're getting something a bit better by paying a bit more (that's the conspiracy theorist in me)

Before taking action to figure out which I should return/keep, complain about, keep the existing ones, etc. I figured I should ask the experienced, smart people to get more information about tie rod ends.

- Do having the metal seal clamps help?
- Could there be a difference in the internal bits of the tie rod end that would make one better than the other, even if both tie rod ends look exactly the same form the outside?
- Might there be a better source for quality tie rod ends that I haven't found yet outside of Prime, RockAuto, SNG, Moss

Now, some pictures...

Tie rod ends currently on the rack

RockAuto tie rod ends (ACD #45A0580; GM# 88910414)

Amazon Prime supplier tie rod ends (ACD #46A0580A; GM #88876725)

This is kinda what I was expecting to get...

Last edited by Pirk; 08-13-2020 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Fix part name mistakes
Old 08-13-2020, 09:35 AM
Received 10,511 Likes on 6,943 Posts

You had me scratching there for a minute.

We call them "Tie Rod Ends", and now its clear.

The steel clip I have always had on any I have purchesed, either OE (rarely) or aftermarket from my place of employ. Brand names here mean zero up there, so I will refrain.

When the tie rod end threaded part is "pushed" through the steering arm, nut tightened, that arm compresses the boot quite a bit, and that will assist in sealing a tad more than out of the box, but still not what I call good.

The only tie rod ends I have ever seen at work, and we sell many, with that retainer ring, are for Jag, BMW, Merc etc The Aussie/Jap/Koren, stuff is as you have received.

Depended on returns procedures etc, and the price difference, maybe SNG etc may be the go.

My S Types are all as you have, from the factory, and there are no issues yet, and they are just on 20 years old each.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:05 AM
Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh - yeah, my bad - totally the tie rod ends are different from the actual tie rods

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Pirk
Greetings!

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered what I thought were some ACDelco tie rod ends (part #46A0580A) from Amazon Prime. All well and good, but the tie rod ends did not have the metal seal clamps that, to me, would seem to help keep the grease in the boot and the crap out. So, then I went and checked out RockAuto and they had the 46Ablah tie rod listed as an "Economy" and then had another one listed as a "Daily Driver" (part #45A0580) for a touch more. I'd never ordered from RockAuto, but thought I'd give it a shot and see what the difference was between the two. I just got them last night and they look exactly the same.

So, here's what I'm wondering:
1. Either the Amazon Prime supplier or RockAuto shipped the wrong part in the right packaging
2. They're the same part, but just a scam for you to think you're getting something a bit better by paying a bit more (that's the conspiracy theorist in me)

Before taking action to figure out which I should return/keep, complain about, keep the existing ones, etc. I figured I should ask the experienced, smart people to get more information about tie rod ends.

- Do having the metal seal clamps help?
- Could there be a difference in the internal bits of the tie rod end that would make one better than the other, even if both tie rod ends look exactly the same form the outside?
- Might there be a better source for quality tie rod ends that I haven't found yet outside of Prime, RockAuto, SNG, Moss

I put this down to the endless "label engineering", global manufacturing, constant changes in corporate ownership, and the like. In short, you really don't know what you're getting nowadays.

For example, I've ordered pairs or multiples of xxx-part and, while the boxes and labeling are the same, the parts inside had the appearance of coming from different manufacturers. Then you have older inventory versus newer inventory, differences in marketing/distributing according to geographic location, and so on.

I've often wondered if Rock Auto sometimes serves as a sort of clearing house for excess inventories, obsolete packaging, and the like. For example, if (let's say) AC Delco had a couple pallets of tie rod ends under old part numbers, or with outdated labeling, or some such thing, would they turn to Rock Auto as a ready buyer of such inventory? I dunno. Just a thought.

Anyhow.......

Just today I replaced the tie rod ends on my Series III. Both the old ones ("Meyle" brand) and the new ones ("Moog") have the clamp/band at the upper part of the boot. And. FWIW, both were stamped with their brand names....versus the "no name" parts you often get even though you've ordered a well known brand name. Grrrr!

I was a little surprised at having to replace these tie rods ends; I'm sure they don't have more than 12-15K miles, if that much. One was clearly worn beyond all hope. I removed the boot and found almost zero grease and what little there was, was dried and caked. The other, truthfully, was just a tad worn. But, I replaced both.

We'll see if the Moog brand holds up better.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
BradsCat (08-14-2020), Grant Francis (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 12:04 AM

Same here Doug.

I have always "tried" to bet balljionts and rod ends etc with a grease fitting. 70% success, so those without get a squirt of wheel bearing grease with my home made grease injector thingy,.

Whether it does something or not, no idea, but I feel more warm and fuzzy.

Doug (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Same here Doug.

I have always "tried" to bet balljionts and rod ends etc with a grease fitting. 70% success, so those without get a squirt of wheel bearing grease with my home made grease injector thingy,.

Whether it does something or not, no idea, but I feel more warm and fuzzy.

Yeah, it's becoming increasingly hard to find grease-able suspension components these days.

One thought I've had is to use one of those needle fixtures on my grease gun to pierce the boot and inject grease. The tiny hole in the rubber will (mostly) close itself when the needle is withdrawn but, in any case, I have to think that the benefit of periodic injections of fresh grease would outweigh any minute contamination that might enter. I mean, anything is better than no lubrication at all, right?

I dunno. Just a thought. I've not tried it...yet

Cheers
DD

Old 08-14-2020, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
with my home made grease injector thingy,.

Please describe !

Cheers
DD

Old 08-14-2020, 09:21 AM

Son got a LARGE needle from work (hospital), and I JB Welded a grease nipple onto the blunt end. and that worked. Fiddly, but works.

I usually grease them with the arm OFF, so the boot is relaxed. Pre greasing before 1st installation is my usual once only action.

Then the Plan B:

GOOD strong magnet, on the end plate, drilled and tapped a hole (plenty of grease on the drill and tap) and back to the good old days. Its been years since I needed to that, as the pre grease seems to be the way to go.

Down here, last year, maybe 2018, Protex brand, started offering balljoints, tie rod ends, u/joints, with or without grease nipples. I bought up.

Doug (08-14-2020)