XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

paint color options

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:26 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

If you're gonna go white, go for a cream color. Check out cream colored Rolls Royce, E-ypes, or 120s.

If you want something green, I love what Honda has done with a dark green that looks black in the dark, but green in the light. You'd have to see it, pics don't do it justice. The Pilot now comes in that color.

...or something in between...

Old 04-20-2018, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

I like black, but which one. Can’t believe how many there are.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:56 AM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Iguana5500, you are literally the only person during the five years we have had the car that has ever expressed dislike of the Rose Bronze Metallic color our 1995 XJS wears... We drive the car regularly and I've anonymously stood behind folks at dozens of car shows listening to their comments and 'paint surprise' is the number one comment I hear. "OMG! That color is gorgeous" is pretty much the ubiquitous type of expression.

Im sorry that you find it so repulsive.

I have my dislikes too: Any of the (popular in the mid 2000s) putty color cars - Nissan has a particular heinous color that looks like new silly putty. Recently, I've seen a newer BMW a muddy, putty grey!

Why?

Old 04-22-2018, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by maxwdg
Iguana5500, you are literally the only person during the five years we have had the car that has ever expressed dislike of the Rose Bronze Metallic color our 1995 XJS wears... We drive the car regularly and I've anonymously stood behind folks at dozens of car shows listening to their comments and 'paint surprise' is the number one comment I hear. "OMG! That color is gorgeous" is pretty much the ubiquitous type of expression.

Im sorry that you find it so repulsive.

I have my dislikes too: Any of the (popular in the mid 2000s) putty color cars - Nissan has a particular heinous color that looks like new silly putty. Recently, I've seen a newer BMW a muddy, putty grey!

Why?
Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. Personally I think it’s ok. If someone doesn’t like it so what that’s up to them.

Old 11-21-2022, 03:01 AM
bxj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that Rose Bronze is GORGEOUS. Ignore the rude one.

When I see a colour that I might not necessarily have on my own car, most of the time I can stil appreciate it on its own merits--much like I look at old, American 'muscle cars'. You'd have to pay me to drive one of those, but I appreciate the differences between them and the kinds of cars that I'd own. If everyone drove cars to my taste, it'd be boring on the streets.

But, back to colours. Rare colours are usually rare because they're distinctive, unusual and sometimes take a connoisseur's eye to appreciate. I'm betting they're also rare because most people, even if they liked a given colour, were hesitant to order / buy it because the colour was 'out there'. They knew it would be a love / hate situation with their friends and others, and didn't want to risk a polarizing choice. So they order a colour that's 'safe'--i.e. one which you already see thousands of on the streets. The biggest problem with this thinking is that manufacturers then stop offering anything other than safe (often downright boring) colours. (I'm talking to you, 2022 parking lots filled with monotone tedium.) You can't even order most new cars in much but silver, white or black. All fine 'colours', but, like my example above about everyone driving only the types of cars I like....dulls-ville if that's all that we get to see in public.

Rose Bronze rocks! It looks like a colour that you'd see Royalty driving around in.

I also looked up that BMW (~1995) 'Navarra Violet' colour (seems to be a bit of disagreement on the spelling, from what I could glean). Oh...my.....WORD. What a gorgeous shade of purple that is! If the colour that shows on my computer is remotely accurate, that's gotta be one of the nicest, richest colours BMW offered in the '90s. Fun fact: BMW appears to have offered 33 colours in 1995, according to PaintScratch.com---thirty three! *sigh*

Old 11-21-2022, 06:28 PM
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

What ever happened to the idea "that's why there are blondes, brunettes and redheads" and "Evert man to his own taste said the farmer when he kissed his cow"?
I've had 2-tone sedans, blacks, silvers and grey metallic, and current 01 XJ in westminister blue (looks black at night). My old boy is 93 4.0 conv in factory white and after 15yrs its still beautiful.
Your choice is a very nice version of gray, subtle changes in different light. BUT, my choice of top color would not be tan. Black top would accent the new color much better.

Dave in AZ

Old 11-21-2022, 06:54 PM
bxj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92/93 XJS
What ever happened to the idea "that's why there are blondes, brunettes and redheads" and "Evert man to his own taste said the farmer when he kissed his cow"?
I've had 2-tone sedans, blacks, silvers and grey metallic, and current 01 XJ in westminister blue (looks black at night). My old boy is 93 4.0 conv in factory white and after 15yrs its still beautiful.
Your choice is a very nice version of gray, subtle changes in different light. BUT, my choice of top color would not be tan. Black top would accent the new color much better.

Dave in AZ
I was also pondering the colour of the soft top.

To me, one of the nicest presentations of colour in a vehicle is a good choice of a two-tone colour scheme. By "good choice" I mean a vehicle that suits a two-tone colour set up. Some aspects are:
  • Whether the lines and creases on the body lend themselves to a natural break where a different colour above and below looks 'right';
  • If the vehicle is the type or class of vehicle that suits a two-tone paint job. i.e. a cute little runabout might suit jazzy, bright colour two-tones. Or a large, formal car / S.U.V. might look good with an understated two-tone palette--like, maybe dark grey with burgundy, for example.
But when you are lucky enough to own a soft top convertible, you really have an opportunity for colour expression! On this, I yield to the opinions of others on what might be 'the best'. Because I've seen:
  • soft tops that virtually match the paint = beautiful;
  • soft tops with a strong contrast--like black top on a white car, or dark blue top on silver, etcetera. Also = beautiful;
  • and I've seen what I might consider 'brave' choices, with unusual contrasting or coordinating colours which also often looked good (though other times maybe not so good---lol).
Another aspect of choosing a top colour for most convertibles is that soft tops have a rich texture that paint will never have. This changes / adds to the colour, regardless of what's chosen, and can further enhance the perception of the colour.