XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Parts car pricing

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Parts car pricing

So there's a 85 parts car just south of me that's been sitting on Craigslist for a month or more. No motor in it, nor engine bay wiring all the rest is there. 4 lowish mile "Trazano" tires on decent but not perfect starfish rims. Interior is thrashed up front rear seats good. No mold. Dash bad gauge cluster good. Rust free straight body.

What's a good price for this? He's asking $750. My XJS value meter is seriously miscalibrated from getting such a ridiculous steal on Jessie.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Offer $400. See where they go from there. Settle at $500. If you do and your selling parts I need a couple things
1x grey pass side sunvisor
Both front wheel well rear covers
Spoiler for the trunk
Might help offset the cost

Old 11-19-2016, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Spread sheet analysis time.

Three columns:

I Value of part needed now.
2. Value of part that might be used or sold.
3. Cost to dispose of left overs.
4. Cost of car 750.or 500 or in between.

Does it pencil out???

Carl

Old 11-27-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Also found and purchased a running parts car near Columbia, SC (on craigslist) a few months ago and purchased for $750.00 and towed it home. found leaking water hoses and extremely worn and loose belts. Spent a hundred bucks for belts and hoses and sold it for $1900 on craigslist. probably could have gotten more by spending some time. I thought it was a good deal because of the OEM lattice wheels and low mileage (72k) needs paint job and TLC for the engine. I agree with the other posts but add, unless you can make $$ buying or the car has hard to find or expensive parts you need, I'd pass unless you can really steal it. More than likely, all good parts have been removed.
Ken in Wild and Wonderful WV, by Golly !!

Old 11-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by kenatofc
Also found and purchased a running parts car near Columbia, SC (on craigslist) a few months ago and purchased for $750.00 and towed it home. found leaking water hoses and extremely worn and loose belts. Spent a hundred bucks for belts and hoses and sold it for $1900 on craigslist. probably could have gotten more by spending some time. I thought it was a good deal because of the OEM lattice wheels and low mileage (72k) needs paint job and TLC for the engine. I agree with the other posts but add, unless you can make $$ buying or the car has hard to find or expensive parts you need, I'd pass unless you can really steal it. More than likely, all good parts have been removed.
Ken in Wild and Wonderful WV, by Golly !!
Well I'm being patient and waiting for the right ( motored ) car to show up. This one is complete sans engine and that's a lot of parts. Just having spares for the ECM and other pricey electrical components is almost enough to justify the price I think he'd take but they still pop up regularly.

A recent trip to Chicago showed me a whole treasure trove of XJS Craigslist posts I had never seen. I need to figure out my settings and expand my search horizons a bit.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:41 PM
Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Parts Car - my wife's favorite word. :-)