XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

pickup coil

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

It's a rare day indeed that I'd question anything suggested by Grant. However, I don't think that .38 volts is significant here.
my thoughts exactly.

But, anyhow, maybe you can remove the TPS, open it up, and physically modify it so as to allow a fraction more movement of the wiper arm on the resistance track....if there's any more track available on the bottom end of the scale, if you get what I mean.
if it works like any other potentiometer ive evr hacked up, then .38v should be the very bottom of the track with the high side of the wiper contacting bare metal. in theory, it should move any farther than that.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

fuel pressure is 38 psi, passthrough between the left hand fuel rail and left hand regulator during key on, engine off.

running the fuel pressure is 30 psi no change until after it dies and the fuel pump primes for a restart.

twenty bucks and a perfectly good fuel hose wasted.

Last edited by M90power; 06-03-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,888 Likes on 7,158 Posts

Originally Posted by M90power
fuel pressure is 38 psi, passthrough between the left hand fuel rail and left hand regulator during key on, engine off.

running the fuel pressure is 30 psi no change until after it dies and the fuel pump primes for a restart.

twenty bucks and a perfectly good fuel hose wasted.

Wasted? How? Are you gonna throw the pressure gauge away and never use it again?

I'm sorry that nothing significant was revealed but it had to be eliminated as a possibility.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

well its been eliminated. im more upset about that rubber hose than the fuel pressure gauge. tools will always have later uses.

compression test next i guess. i suspect to find that the drivers side bank isnt drawing enough air.

the right hand side is much louder.

Last edited by M90power; 06-03-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

did a quick compression test cold. Its far too dark out to do a proper one, but i was curious to see if the left hand bank was getting even remotely enough air from the cam.

so i did cylinder 1a and 1b. engine cold. both were spot on at 160psi. i know that the compression will drop when its warm. like i said, i just wanted to make sure the left hand valve train was allowing air in since the left hand pipe is nowhere near as loud as the right.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Received 10,498 Likes on 6,933 Posts

Mmmmmm, 160 sounds a tad low for a 12.5:1 V12. \\OH I forgot, the US got a detuned version, about 11:1 I think.

Even so mine is around 240 DRY, and 245 WET.

I assume this was done with the fuel relay OUT, and the throttle jammed WIDE OPEN. If not, another dud.

If the LH exhaust is quieter than the RH then a restriction is a "maybe", although the AAV on the LH side can give exhaust oddities, until operating temp is reached and that AAV closes, and since the time frame I hear of the thing running is NOT getting anywhere near AAV closing temps, it should be wide open.

Unplug the CTS, and see if there is a difference. Mine WILL NOT run with that unplugged, and if it is unplugged with the engine running it STOPS, it is a PRIME ECU signal, not sure what the USA market got here. Then plug a 100K ohm resistor into the plug, which will simulate "N" temp and prove maybe something is out of whack at the cold side of that sensor.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
I AM TOTALLY MOVING TO AUSTRALIA ONE DAY, IT IS MY DREAM FOR A WHILE NOW.
I'd rather be surrounded by grumpy old auzzies, then happy young democrats
HAHAHAHA, I just had an offer to move to Las Vegas, seriously.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

mine wont run with the CTS unplugged.

WOT testing of course. although i did it twice. once at WOT and once closed and saw no difference.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

Considering how rich its been running it probably washed the cylinders out wouldn't you think? Have you checked the oil level lately?

Old 06-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've trawled through this as I have had loads of similar problems that are now fixed. My best friend throughout was a simple automotive type multimeter with a pulse width setting. With everything I do to the engine I monitor the effect on injector pulse width. Have you checked that as it may suddenly change dramatically just before it dies? As you say, a tool will always come in useful later.
Also, just to try to put to bed all the stuff about injectors firing in groups of three, they don't. Each bank's two groups of three are connected directly together in the ECU, so injectors just fire A bank or B bank, both at the same time as it happens although they are driven by different pairs of power transistors.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by R44chopper
I've trawled through this as I have had loads of similar problems that are now fixed. My best friend throughout was a simple automotive type multimeter with a pulse width setting. With everything I do to the engine I monitor the effect on injector pulse width. Have you checked that as it may suddenly change dramatically just before it dies? As you say, a tool will always come in useful later.
my uncle was reading the injector pulses with this tool he had. it was like an old TV with a readout. i cant remember what he called it. weve briefly looked at the injector pulse with it, and all we really found was that both banks were pulsing good. we havent played with it much since it started shutting off so quickly. its hard to troubleshoot when it wont stay running.

Also, just to try to put to bed all the stuff about injectors firing in groups of three, they don't. Each bank's two groups of three are connected directly together in the ECU, so injectors just fire A bank or B bank, both at the same time as it happens although they are driven by different pairs of power transistors.
thank you. i didnt want to be the one to say it for fear of getting flamed, but i discovered this when rebuilding my injector harness.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,280 Likes on 5,452 Posts

I remain in the 'work methodically through each system from front to back and verify it' camp, and I still have a suspicion that you should bite the bullet and check the ECU loom all the way through the car... BUT I do not want to be thought silly, but have you tried disconnecting one bank's injectors' loom plugs, and then tried starting it? Maybe it would at least show if one side or the other is worse?

Greg

Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

i have tried that, but not in an attempt to see which bank runs worse.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

ive checked the CTS and it reads good. it matches the values of the chart exactly.

i started up the Jag, let it run for 3 or 4 minutes and ran to get some water to top off the rad pipe. as soon is i poured cold water into the pipe, it flipped a switch and started surging. it surged 3 or 4 times and shut off. now it wont start. im gonna buy a new CTS for the hell of it and triple check all my CTS wiring.

also, i unplugged the left hand side hose from the vacuum regulator (this is the one that my Vac advance is plugged into) and it ran one heaping heck of a lot better. less backfiring, much more throttle response. still rich and some backfiring above 3500rpm, but much better. the other 3 hoses had no effect, except for a slight increase in idle RPM.

Last edited by M90power; 06-06-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by M90power

also, i unplugged the left hand side hose from the vacuum regulator (this is the one that my Vac advance is plugged into) and it ran one heaping heck of a lot better. less backfiring, much more throttle response. still rich and some backfiring above 3500rpm, but much better. the other 3 hoses had no effect, except for a slight increase in idle RPM.
OK, that sounds like the "base timing" is far too far advanced, and then when the vac advance pulls it some more (can be 15deg depending on capsule installed) it is nearly on the next cylinder.

I would be sorting this out without teh vac advance plugge din at teh moment, and then work up from there.

Also sounds like there is air in the cooling system, which would be causing a little grief to the CTS getting a stable reading.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

To share my experience with air in the cooling system, I've had numerous cars that do run worse before properly bled (oddly, some VERY old and carbureted) but when I swapped out the rad on my '85 it took me nearly a week to get it bled properly. The entire time it ran perfectly normal, and my root issue was a big air bubble stuck behind the drivers' stat right where the CTS is. In fact I removed the CTS and topped up through the hole with a turkey baster to bleed out that coolant rail properly.

Not disagreeing with Grant at all (in fact he was the one who pointed out my air-bubble issue a while back) but my car seemed to run fine with a dry CTS against all logic. I just knew I had air in the lines.

Secondary point - when you do bleed, remove the CTS, look for coolant, then with the engine running keep the CTS cracked until coolant squirts out around it then tighten it back down. After my experience this should go into the XJ-S bleeding FAQ, especially since it's quick and effective at removing a large portion of air.

Great news on the advance front - we now have a new clue - let's get the coolant bled and the base timing set properly and work from there. Did you put a vac gauge on that advance line? It should only be 11"hg, no more no less at idle.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

sorry to say, but your on the wrong track

i put a vacuum load on the advance module with a vacuum pump and it had almost 0 effect on the way the engine ran, but if i plugged off that regulator port, the engine ran like crap again.

my engine really seems to love the timing.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

it also runs different today than it did yesterday. thats another problem i cant figure out.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

Grant, what would the symptoms be if the CTS and the ATS were reversed?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

thought of that too.

Quick Reply: pickup coil