XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Pictures of the NEW V12..... yep.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

I think that car looks absolutely superb Duke. You have done really well. Congratulations.
What is WoF?
Greg

Old 08-11-2018, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Not Duke, but WOF = Warrant of Fitness. Every car needs one, and older ones need it done every six months. Rust appears to be a major fail point, from friends in NZ who have cars.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:04 PM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Robman25
Well done, was this a Tauranga car? I wonder what it failed the WoF on in Aug ‘17 any ideas?
PM me about membership benefits for the Auckland Jag club.
Failed due to the hand brake... has been fixed.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Fairly common, I rarely used mine and it was always marginal

Old 08-11-2018, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukejag
Comments on the engine, what your spotter eye's see?
Things I dont to know about!

And I want the truth... no candy covered it will be ok ****!
I think the crossover pipe/balance pipe between the itake manifolds is the wrong one. Looks like from a 6.0l. The one in my 89 lays/sits underneath the fuel injector rail!?

Old 08-11-2018, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Duke

Unless I have missed something, you didn't mention the Year of manufacture that She is supposed to be

But She is the earlier Lucas Car and not the later Marelli, so I would think She's 1989 or maybe even earlier than that, as even without the Engine Pics the style of Steering Column would have given it away and the Steering Wheel is non standard

As for the Black Ski Slope that could point to an 87 or 88 Car and looks like extra Switches have been added, so that the rear side windows can be independently lowered or raised

Instead of Automatically being lowered, at the same time that the Soft Top is put down, for the benefit of the passengers on the rear seats (this I would say is something of a bonus) although it only take a couple of wires and switches to do

But the biggest plus on that Car is that unlike the 91 your Car has an EXTERNAL FUEL PUMP!!! and when it goes wrong as they all do in time, then you will be down on your knees thanking 'The Jaguar Gods' that you've got one of those!

As unlike the In-Tank Fuel Pump which is a Total PIA to replace, the External Fuel Pump is an 'Absolute Walk In The Park' and would only cost you around $30 and easily done in under a couple of hours (or an hour if you've done one before)

She does look a very, very, nice Car and also a Pre-Facelift which I think looks much nicer than the Facelift with those 'Gothic' rear lights
OB, Marellis came out late 88 (88.5). 89 was the last year of the old steering wheel...

Old 08-12-2018, 02:02 AM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

The ski slope's been replaced with what looks like black plastic for some reason...
Sellers answer.

Hi Arron
Did some research into the ski slope - never heard the interior trim referred to in that manner, but it appears that pre HE models had this type and was used in the left to right conversion and was not veneered as standard fitting.
I will send many pictures soon as requested.

Cant wait, asked for car front, drivers seat and everything pictures...lots....
Now I am working on a inferred garage sensor, seen some cool ones where when you drive past the garage door the sensor goes out and a light turns off. Park and get out.
I have a work bench and need as much room as possible, never had a car in my garage before, and measuring the size of the XJS, it has to be the biggest two seater that drinks like I do!
Spent today making space....

Regards

Have to say the more I ask question of the seller the better I feel, I don't get the feeling I am being ripped off, he is answering all my questions and is pleased the car is go to a good home.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, Duke, that is an HE (as well as pre HE) ski slope. It changed in mid 1985 I believe, certainly with the updates in 1988. This is a shot of mine. I prefer it to the wood effort! It has classic Jaguar interior written all over it. Your steering wheel is an aftermarket job (as it mine in the photo) if you do not like it, easy to change. I think the car looks absolutely great. The only thing I would be careful about is the bodywork as far as rust is concerned, look under the carpets, sill ends, rear wheelarch lips, boot floor and exhaust tunnels each side of the boot, in particular.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
I think the crossover pipe/balance pipe between the intake manifolds is the wrong one. Looks like from a 6.0l. The one in my 89 lays/sits underneath the fuel injector rail!?
You mean the large one at the back? In my 5.3 l facelift it arcs up like that.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Yes, Duke, that is an HE (as well as pre HE) ski slope. It changed in mid 1985 I believe, certainly with the updates in 1988.
I'm sceptical. The original black ski slope has rounded corners and sits definitely towards the middle, with a particular gap between it at the fascia at the front. The one in Duke's car looks like a later, squared ski slope that's been done in black, perhaps as the owner preferred how it looked. You can see the two main patterns HERE (note they are all in wood from this company).

Old 08-12-2018, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
You mean the large one at the back? In my 5.3 l facelift it arcs up like that.
Early models had it point down ward if I remember right... mine is a lot lower, sitting UNDER the fuel rail... Which is as far as I am aware, normal for ABS-pre-Facelift models (so that would be 88.5, 89, 90 and 91)... No rail on here, but you can see how low it sits (new original pipe) and on the second picture (the same engine just not clean and not done but in the car still) it is lower...

The following users liked this post:
Some Day, Some Day (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member

I'm sceptical. The original black ski slope has rounded corners and sits definitely towards the middle, with a particular gap between it at the fascia at the front. The one in Duke's car looks like a later, squared ski slope that's been done in black, perhaps as the owner preferred how it looked. You can see the two main patterns HERE (note they are all in wood from this company).
As the slope has been modded, I wouldnt be surprised if the owner couldn't get some correct wood veneer to replace the damaged stuff so he opted to simply painted it black.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member

I took a look at some photos before posting, and yes, the older ones are definitely under. I'm not sure when they moved to above, but I'd say it's likely to be when Marelli was introduced and the whole vee area was revamped, coils, dizzy, injectors, etc.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member

I took a look at some photos before posting, and yes, the older ones are definitely under. I'm not sure when they moved to above, but I'd say it's likely to be when Marelli was introduced and the whole vee area was revamped, coils, dizzy, injectors, etc.
Mine is a Marelli And it still goes under

Old 08-12-2018, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Okay - that was just a guess. Seems like the logical time to rearrange all that stuff. In that case, I'd say it's likely to be when the facelifts came out.
Wait--did the Marelli come at the same time as the new fuel rail setup, or before? Before, right? I think I'm getting my timeline muddled.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

Okay - that was just a guess. Seems like the logical time to rearrange all that stuff. In that case, I'd say it's likely to be when the facelifts came out.
Wait--did the Marelli come at the same time as the new fuel rail setup, or before? Before, right? I think I'm getting my timeline muddled.
The square rail was introduced very early. In 88.5 the Marelli ignition was introduced with the ABS system. The new rails were introduced with the facelift. So if the FL was from 92 onwards, the newer rail should have been after the Marelli ignition introduction...

Just so you get some kind of insight... Basically every year something new was done. 88 saw the wooden ski slope, 88.5 the ABS and Marelli ignition. Around 89 saw the rear engine seal being a lipseal rather than rope. 90 was the introduction of Ford keys and steering column. ...

Old 08-12-2018, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I know they changed almost every year--it's why it's hard to keep them all straight. And even within a change, things don't seem entirely consistent--as if Jaguar got delivery of some parts one day, and others the next day. Argh! And that's not even worrying about different markets.... Mind you, unless I'm missing things, or there aren't enough pics out there to check, I don't see too many incremental changes in the late 1980s-early 1990s car engines. That said, I'm not sure I'd recognise a Lucas dizzy over a Marelli one, at least not buried in the vee.
(Didn't realise the change from the rope seal was that recent, however.)
By "fuel rail" I should have said "fuel injectors," or rather, the new type where they got rid of those short injector hoses. When you say "square" you mean "square in plan" (ie without the bends in the older sort when it crosses over) rather than "square in cross-section," I assume.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I know they changed almost every year--it's why it's hard to keep them all straight. And even within a change, things don't seem entirely consistent--as if Jaguar got delivery of some parts one day, and others the next day. Argh! And that's not even worrying about different markets.... Mind you, unless I'm missing things, or there aren't enough pics out there to check, I don't see too many incremental changes in the late 1980s-early 1990s car engines. That said, I'm not sure I'd recognise a Lucas dizzy over a Marelli one, at least not buried in the vee.
(Didn't realise the change from the rope seal was that recent, however.)
By "fuel rail" I should have said "fuel injectors," or rather, the new type where they got rid of those short injector hoses. When you say "square" you mean "square in plan" (ie without the bends in the older sort when it crosses over) rather than "square in cross-section," I assume.
Square as in square section bent around to a U with a little round pipe soldered/brazed into the front end There have been multiple different injector pipes...

Old 08-12-2018, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member

I (only) know of three types: the early pre-HE loops, which look round in cross-section, the HE U-shape (square in X-section), and the facelift II with the two connecting hoses.

Pre-HE

HE

Facelift

A search has also revealed this old type:

Pre-HE...?

Does that cover them all?

Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

The HE XJS originally had a round rail setup (looked like that last "old type" pic from memory) with the FPR bolted to the back of the capstan, believe it or not! I have actually seen and converted a 1983 US spec XJS to the square rail setup with FPR in the normal B bank place. This setup was the subject of a safety recall in about 1984 or so, and the recognisable now common square rail was retrofitted, or should have been, to all early HE XJSs.

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Daim (08-12-2018), Grant Francis (08-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Pictures of the NEW V12..... yep.