XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Please help understand security system

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 09:59 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Please help understand security system

Hi again, so i bought this Jax few months back for a lot of money with a lot of issues, so drove it probably 2-3 times max, and once in a while it had some problem with startup, starter just wont turn at all, i tried like 5-15 times, and then randomly after touching few wires it would start.
So i was doing full service for 2 months, so didnt address it. Now when im done, it just wont start and i have noticed that it has some kind of security im not familiar with. please see bellow, it starts to blink when i open doors, and then goes solid red when i put my keys in, also with the key i got this little plastic container , see bellow

i cant contact previous owner, so have to figure out myself. Please help

I really dont know if thats the cause, but it would be nice to make sure its not, really hope, that i just dont some magic steps.

Old 02-19-2023, 11:26 AM
Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts

I don't recognize the part in the first pic, is it a fob???
The light and 'plug' on the cowl appears to be aftermarket.

Old 02-19-2023, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by equiprx
I don't recognize the part in the first pic, is it a fob???
The light and 'plug' on the cowl appears to be aftermarket.
yeah, thats a tiny fob i got with the car.

Old 02-19-2023, 11:15 PM
Received 10,480 Likes on 6,920 Posts

Likewise, I have no idea.

BUT

If it is aftermarket, that is 98% of your issue.
3 of mine came with aftermarket systems, and issues persisted until I remove that rubbish totally and returned the car to "as made" spec.

One was a "No GO" system, oh dear, what a bloody nightmare, and the 5yo that installed it screwed the under dash wiring really badly. 3 weeks later, lots of new wire, soldering, much beer consumption, etc etc, away we go, whoopee.

I suggest CAREFULLY removing the whole thing, and get the car back to proper spec, and THEN trouble shoot the issues properly with an unmolested/modified system/s.

The following users liked this post:
Aarcuda (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Likewise, I have no idea.

BUT

If it is aftermarket, that is 98% of your issue.
3 of mine came with aftermarket systems, and issues persisted until I remove that rubbish totally and returned the car to "as made" spec.

One was a "No GO" system, oh dear, what a bloody nightmare, and the 5yo that installed it screwed the under dash wiring really badly. 3 weeks later, lots of new wire, soldering, much beer consumption, etc etc, away we go, whoopee.

I suggest CAREFULLY removing the whole thing, and get the car back to proper spec, and THEN trouble shoot the issues properly with an unmolested/modified system/s.
Thanks, i m sure it is the problem as well,

Today, i just tried to make sure that not another easy fix problem, checked battery, relay, inertia switch.
And then finally went under steering switch
My electrical knowledge is not good at all unfortunately.
So, what i found can we seen on the photo, 2nd plastic fob was just taped to this circled wire, lol, and i figured out, if i take this fob away, then red light starts blinking rapidly and the electricity just cut, no lights on the panel, no relay click, no fuel pump noise, when i get it back into the loop, everything works, except it wont crank, relay clicking, dash working.

so then i thought, ok, it does it job when fob is away, (it cuts electricity) and it works when i get the fob back, so mb its not that, again went to clean relays, check connectors, grounds, and it started, but im not convinced , it was starting even before once a while...

Probably should still get rid of that alarm, but i dont know where to start

Last edited by mouserider; 02-20-2023 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:27 PM
Received 572 Likes on 354 Posts

That's for sure not a Jaguar system, I'm also one of those in the get rid of this **** camp. The second I see these things you can bet they were installed by wire nuts r us, probably find a bunch of insulating tape and scotch blocks, hell maybe even a wire nut or two behind that dash and they will all be assosicated with some sort of relay driver or module that is intercepting starter and fuel circuits, they all do on or the other, sometimes both but usually fuel pump because a starter is an easy bypass (aka the Jaguar steal me relay) that is well past its sell by. The joints wherever they are will likely be poor hence your partial successes because you're moving stuff around.

I think you wil be pretty hard pressed unless you were provided documentation with it, there were so many aftermarket things available back in the 80's / 90's if you're truly blessed somebody here will know that system but I'd still be ripping it out.

Choice is yours of course

The following 2 users liked this post by BenKenobi:
Aarcuda (02-20-2023), Grant Francis (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Yes, I agree as well. It needs to come out problem is they probably cut some important lines under the dash to put on the relay so you’re gonna have to reconnect some wires it might not be too hard if they all have different color codes going onto the relay what is that plug for above the light on the steering column looks like it’s meant to have some sort of connector plugged in and can you take a better shot of that little key fob Doohickey? I wanna see what it looks like