XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Polyurethane Shock Absorber Bushes Question XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Japthug
I don't know why many people dislike the poly bushes so much... If the choice would be from rubber or poly, I definitely choose poly, for the rubber ones will be split, shrink and harden in a short period like 4-5 years. So in a certain case their lives can be shorter than the OEM ones'.

My choice will be OEM or poly, I don't choose rubber ones. If I want to go original, I choose OEM, if I want a longer life or a performance, I choose poly.
Hi Jap

I made a set of 'Home Made Bushes' out of the same sort of stuff as the OEM but quite a lot harder.

It has totally transformed the Car for the better!

Old 09-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Personal bad experience with short life, squeaks, harsh ride, to start with. From an engineering point of view, they are a downgrade. From a marketeers point of view, they're a perfect solution looking for a problem. From a cost accountant's point of view it's a nightmare exercise trying understand how 5 cents worth of plastic can be successfully retailed for $25 without a huge marketing budget that eats most of the profits.

Each to his own though.
Hi Mikey

Problem no solved!

I made some out of the same sort of stuff as the OEM but a little bit harder, so I have now got the best of both Worlds and plenty of Spares if I need them.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
After which I then went for the 'Mother of All Test Drives!'
I was Totally Shocked at the difference they made!
There wasn't one single Squeak or Bang or Rattle and that noise of 'Breaking China' had completely disappeared, including the thumping noise from the Exhaust as it banged on the Chassis.
As for the Handling of the Car, it was as Flat as a Pancake as all the Body Roll She had was now eliminated and was taking Corners, like She were on rails!
I was absolutely Gobsmacked at the difference that it made and only wish I had found out about that Bush problem sooner, which should have been discovered when She had her MOT.
Coming out of a fast corner with the Power on (just a bit!) I could spin the wheels without even trying, which had never happened before as without the Bushes in the Shock Absorbers,
Brilliant news OB, just fantastic. AND good for you for making something 'off piste' and getting a superb result. I will buy a set, just tell me when they are on Fleabay!
As you have just found out, there comes a golden moment, after months of fixing up an XJS, when suddenly the last bit of the jigsaw falls into place and the car is utterly transformed. You have worked, not given up, not moaned, and now you have got there. Congratulations. Once the cars are right, it is not that hard to keep them there.

And isn't an XJS just something else when it is right? Fantastic ride, superb handling, quiet, powerful, responsive; THE grand tourer. I have had mine since 1998 and it still gets my pulse racing when I have a chance to drive it.

Congratulations again
Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
I'm thinking you should go into the Jaguar shock bushing buisness! With the review you wrote, I'd buy a set or two!
Hi JT

Coming from a Flight Engineer, I cannot help but take that as a massive complement, as what I know about engineering you could write on the back of a Stamp.

I didn't think that the Car was supposed to handle any differently to what it did, as while I always make a check on the Oil, the Water, Power Steering and Brake Fluid 'Especially the Brake Fluid!'

Checking on the Bushes in the Shock Absorbers, never occurred to me Post MOT!

I only found out by accident, when to my absolute horror! There was not a single bush to be found, which with the benefit of hindsight must have been the cause of all the bangs and rattles I was getting.

Which I thought were part and parcel of this Classic Car, while now handles in a way that I couldn't imagine before, as now I can actually drive the car in the way She's supposed to be driven!

Old 09-16-2014, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Brilliant news OB, just fantastic. AND good for you for making something 'off piste' and getting a superb result. I will buy a set, just tell me when they are on Fleabay!
As you have just found out, there comes a golden moment, after months of fixing up an XJS, when suddenly the last bit of the jigsaw falls into place and the car is utterly transformed. You have worked, not given up, not moaned, and now you have got there. Congratulations. Once the cars are right, it is not that hard to keep them there.

And isn't an XJS just something else when it is right? Fantastic ride, superb handling, quiet, powerful, responsive; THE grand tourer. I have had mine since 1998 and it still gets my pulse racing when I have a chance to drive it.

Congratulations again
Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks!

The Problem was, I never really knew what better was, as though my 1990, was tight and 'rattle free' I thought that there may just have been a 'slightly different Set Up' on this 1989 (suspension wise)

The full 'Horror of this is now dawning on me!' because in all the time I've owned this Car, I have always taken her for an MOT at the same Garage!

Which seems to mean that they have never ever made any Check whatsoever on the 'Shock Absorbers' in all the years that I have owned this Car, hence the reason for Two Bare Shafts sticking up!

Where of course there should have been 'Shock Absorber Bushes' which I would have had to replace, in order to pass the MOT, if only they had told me they were worn.

Or in this Case 'No Where To Be Seen! ' Where do they find these People Greg, I'm 'Gobsmacked!'

I was tempted to fit the 'Chopping Board' ones but that would have been like a slap in the face, to someone of your engineering excellence, who's vast amount of knowledge on all things XJS deserves respect.

And Yesterday was the Perfect day in every possible way, with the Sun blasting out of on 'Azure Blue Sky' (it wasn't raining for once!) and the GF going all 'gooey on me' with her new Chopping Board.

And Knife! (let's not mention the knife!)

She was the first to notice, that all the rattles had gone and I was the first one to notice that She was right!

The road is covered in speed humps for about 300 yards and I used to have to climb over these, very slowly with my 'eyes wide shut' but not anymore! as the Car just sails over them now.

Being as 'Big a Car as She is', its not one those who do not know associate with any handling qualities, as I feel that like the 'Rover' they tend to be regarded as a bit of an 'Office on Wheels'

But I won't need to tell you, that this Car breaks the mold and is the only reason, that I don't Top myself, every time I fill her up with Petrol!

This Car 'Rocks' but since you know that, I don't need to preach to the Converted.

Thanks again for your help Greg, I couldn't have done it without you!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 09-16-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

That's a very Atmospheric Shot Daim, do you have any more like that?
Cheers OB

I started a thread here a long time ago...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...photos-117610/

orangeblossom (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

well its nice to see this comedy show over(i hope).

this morning i decided to look at my stabilizer links front and shock(damper) bushes.

pix of poly bushes, about 2yrs old, less than 2000miles on them, KYB shock bushes perfect,rubber,21yrs old,around 7000miles.

went to local auto store ,got the MOOG link kit,$8.25 usd, each side,includes bushes,bolts nuts, washers.

MOOG suspension components makes some of the best we can buy here!

as pix show i'm not pleased with the poly bushes all split and cracked, and for that little money, i'd be silly to try and make them.

complete job took about 45 min, to complete!

pic of sub frame forward mounts, ORiginal 35 yrs old, Jag must have had access to good rubber at the time 1978. altho my car only has 23000 miles on it,always garaged.

Attached Thumbnails Polyurethane Shock Absorber Bushes Question XJS V12-001.jpg   Polyurethane Shock Absorber Bushes Question XJS V12-005.jpg   Polyurethane Shock Absorber Bushes Question XJS V12-006.jpg   Polyurethane Shock Absorber Bushes Question XJS V12-008.jpg   Polyurethane Shock Absorber Bushes Question XJS V12-009.jpg  

Polyurethane Shock Absorber Bushes Question XJS V12-002.jpg  

Last edited by ronbros; 09-17-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Cheers OB

I started a thread here a long time ago...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...photos-117610/
Daim

Those moody Photos are just amazing!

You've clearly missed your Vocation as a Pro Photographer, anyone of them could win a prize!

Sort of reminds me of a Scene from a 'Gangster Movie' waiting for the 'Bad Guys' to turn up with a bag full of Cash.

Daim (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Daim

Those moody Photos are just amazing!

You've clearly missed your Vocation as a Pro Photographer, anyone of them could win a prize!

Sort of reminds me of a Scene from a 'Gangster Movie' waiting for the 'Bad Guys' to turn up with a bag full of Cash.
They're not that brilliant

I just like playing around with my camera. Friends do frequently ask for pictures to be taken... But time is rare and my Jag is priority number one! So she get's the next pictures done!

PS: I think cars look best in some dark and dull car park... So that is my main background I also prefer night shots, as you can play with the car's lines and details as well as lights

Last edited by Daim; 09-18-2014 at 02:24 PM.
orangeblossom (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
They're not that brilliant

I just like playing around with my camera. Friends do frequently ask for pictures to be taken... But time is rare and my Jag is priority number one! So she get's the next pictures done!

PS: I think cars look best in some dark and dull car park... So that is my main background I also prefer night shots, as you can play with the car's lines and details as well as lights
Daim

You are far too modest, those Photos of yours are just Ace and really capture the moment.

I had a go at some night shots myself but haven't down loaded them off the Camera yet, which is a very cheap Compact, that cost me £25!

Nowhere near as good as your Nikon, so in the event that they come out at all! you will have to give me some tips as to where I went wrong.

You are also doing a fantastic job on your Car!

If I pulled mine to bits like that, I would never remember how to put it all back together.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Daim;1060470]They're not that brilliant

PS: I think cars look best in some dark and dull car park... So that is my main background I also prefer night shots, as you can play with the car's lines and details as well as lights [/QUOTE

Perhaps we ought to Start a photography thread?

Last edited by orangeblossom; 09-19-2014 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

good suggestion,
we kinda went from poly bushes to photography, thats why i posted pix of poly!

Old 09-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Received 210 Likes on 133 Posts

My poly shock upper bush pic. After 4 year/40000km use, no sign of wear and tear at all. Still glossy.

Why do I post this? Because I like comedy show :P
(No offence, just kidding!)

Attached Thumbnails Polyurethane Shock Absorber Bushes Question XJS V12-img_1849.jpg  
Old 09-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

OB if you do like a responsive driving car, mod to a spherical bearing at top of shocks,

and a HD stabilizer bar at front, with an adjustable spherical bearing links on the ends.

steel or aluminum control arm bushes(with grease fittings)!

you would be amazed at how the car drives and transient response handling!

UNO just a thought of what can be done.