XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Portable Garages anyone got one? are they any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkii250
Grouchy much? Maybe have someone read and explain my post to you.
No explanation needed. My comment stands.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

It seems only Mods can make aggressive, opinionated comments on these forums. Anyone else has them immediately removed?

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

Last edited by Mkii250; 03-12-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: posted twice
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Typhoon
It seems only Mods can make aggressive, opinionated comments on these forums. Anyone else has them immediately removed?
I appreciate your post, thanks for bringing it up. I removed my own comment today because I wasn't going to hijack this good thread with a silly tit-for-tat scrap. Maybe I should have ignored Plums' criticism in the first place.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Typhoon
No. However, this is not a venue for gratuitious comments regarding national stereotypes.

a cheapo $300 one from Canadian Tire (national supplier of all things Chinese)
Long time members may recall similar instances where I have stepped up to the plate on encountering similar statements.

As I said, the buyer determines the quality he receives by the amount of money he pays. Notice the units being compared are $300 and $935. That's a 300 percent difference. If the manufacturer of the $300 item had been allowed to target a retail price of $935 at lower labour costs, the delivered item would likely to be the equal of, or surpass the domestic item. No doubt if the domestic manufacturer was limited to the same amount of money at wholesale they would produce at best the same quality or be bankrupt.

The existence of "popular priced" goods depends on the desire of buyers to pay the least amount possible. In the absence of that desire, the goods would not exist. Manufacturers do not spec the goods, the importer and sellers spec the goods. The spec they set is based upon their interpretation of the the highest amount their customers will pay for a given quality. Then they try to widen the gap between landed cost and selling price. The manufacturer gets whats left over to make what the importer spec'ed.

Everyone says "you get what you pay for", but when the don't like what they get they should look in the mirror for the real reason. They had a choice of paying $300 or $935. They chose $300 but somehow expect it to be the equal of $935.

As this is an automotive forum, I will point out that the two major brands of automotive fuses are no longer made in North America. The brands still exist. They just aren't made here. The same goes for many items. Free trade sounded great ... but it didn't work out that way for most people. Now you can buy 50 t-shirts that you never wear because they cost nothing. But, if you would rather have just 3 really good ones ... try finding one.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
orangeblossom (03-13-2013), Spikepaga (01-03-2015)
Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,629 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
No. However, this is not a venue for gratuitious comments regarding national stereotypes.

Long time members may recall similar instances where I have stepped up to the plate on encountering similar statements.

As I said, the buyer determines the quality he receives by the amount of money he pays. Notice the units being compared are $300 and $935. That's a 300 percent difference. If the manufacturer of the $300 item had been allowed to target a retail price of $935 at lower labour costs, the delivered item would likely to be the equal of, or surpass the domestic item. No doubt if the domestic manufacturer was limited to the same amount of money at wholesale they would produce at best the same quality or be bankrupt.

The existence of "popular priced" goods depends on the desire of buyers to pay the least amount possible. In the absence of that desire, the goods would not exist. Manufacturers do not spec the goods, the importer and sellers spec the goods. The spec they set is based upon their interpretation of the the highest amount their customers will pay for a given quality. Then they try to widen the gap between landed cost and selling price. The manufacturer gets whats left over to make what the importer spec'ed.

Everyone says "you get what you pay for", but when the don't like what they get they should look in the mirror for the real reason. They had a choice of paying $300 or $935. They chose $300 but somehow expect it to be the equal of $935.

As this is an automotive forum, I will point out that the two major brands of automotive fuses are no longer made in North America. The brands still exist. They just aren't made here. The same goes for many items. Free trade sounded great ... but it didn't work out that way for most people. Now you can buy 50 t-shirts that you never wear because they cost nothing. But, if you would rather have just 3 really good ones ... try finding one.
So I guess its a case of 'buy cheap buy twice' if you want something that is really going to last.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
So I guess its a case of 'buy cheap buy twice' if you want something that is really going to last.
This does seem to be the case with portable garages. The one aardvark64 suggested from Machine Mart looks closer to the $300 unit I had than the $1000 one, but that may not be a problem for you if you do not get a lot of snow. Snow load was the biggest contributor to my shelter's wear.

I even put extra straps in mine (see photo--it's seatbelt strapping) to help but it wasn't enough, even though I pushed the snow off after each snowfall (in the photo you can see the tube along the peak bending under the load).

If you use the railway ties underneath and keep the tarp as snug as you can, you'll probably be ok.

But remember--you must keep it closed tight on windy days. Some of these shelters have an optional motorized roll-up door for convenience.

Attached Thumbnails Portable Garages anyone got one? are they any good?-p1020495.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

This does seem to be the case with portable garages. The one aardvark64 suggested from Machine Mart looks closer to the $300 unit I had than the $1000 one, but that may not be a problem for you if you do not get a lot of snow. Snow load was the biggest contributor to my shelter's wear.

I even put extra straps in mine (see photo--it's seatbelt strapping) to help but it wasn't enough, even though I pushed the snow off after each snowfall (in the photo you can see the tube along the peak bending under the load).

If you use the railway ties underneath and keep the tarp as snug as you can, you'll probably be ok.

But remember--you must keep it closed tight on windy days. Some of these shelters have an optional motorized roll-up door for convenience.

Hi Greg and thanks

Nice Shelter with a great photo.

We really do not get that much snow where I live, so snow load won't be too much of a problem.

So what I am thinking of doing is to build myself a very strong frame out of S/H Scaffolding Poles using Key Clamp.

10ft High with a flat roof made of Corrugated iron, with a 6 in fall so the Rain falls off.

The structure would be 20ft Long X 10ft Wide X 10ft High.

The sides would be made of heavy duty Tarpaulin, like they use on the side of trucks (custom made to fit the frame) and the same with the doors back and front.

The reason why I want it so high is so I can put my garage lift inside it.

That way it would be dual purpose.

Just run in the car and leave it parked on the ramps, then when I need to get underneath, push the button and jack it up into the air.

I'll post a pic when its finished.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Corrugated iron! That'll do it. And you have a hoist? (Envy).

Old 03-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

@ Orange, before you install the 'corrugated' use a few extra quid to use some roofing felt as a drip and condensation barrier above your pride and joy.

Nothing worse than some contaminated water dripping onto your paintwork!

(PS, size wise, I'm guessing that you may be well outside not requiring planning permission. IDK).

(and a forum protocol PPS, UK as a location is not great, could you consider giving at least a county?)

Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

Corrugated iron! That'll do it. And you have a hoist? (Envy).
Picked up the Hoist from a Lady who owned a Circus and most of her Circus Equipment was kept in her back yard!

It was a massive back garden which must have been at least a couple of acres.

I brought it home on the back of my Land Rover, (Jeremy Clarkson would have been proud of that!) then when I got home tied it onto a tree and drove off, after putting some tires on the ground in order to cushion the fall.

I got it for £250! and is one of the most useful things that I have ever had, as after a trip I can lift up the Jag to give the underside a chassis wash, then leave it hanging up to dry, like you do when you hang out your washing!

Which is also great for Chassis Wax and Maintenance and it even picks up the Land Rover no problem at all.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Translator
@ Orange, before you install the 'corrugated' use a few extra quid to use some roofing felt as a drip and condensation barrier above your pride and joy.

Nothing worse than some contaminated water dripping onto your paintwork!

(PS, size wise, I'm guessing that you may be well outside not requiring planning permission. IDK).

(and a forum protocol PPS, UK as a location is not great, could you consider giving at least a county?)
I was thinking of using some water proof boards underneath the Corri, which should keep out all the drips but I always keep the Car Cover on any way.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

A lighter material that is similar to corrugated steel is corrugated fiber glass. Usually green coloured. It is often translucent so you would get some light coming through. And, it is not subject to corrosion. Although, over the long term, it is affected by UV. Check with garden centers and landscaping suppliers.

10 feet might be a bit narrow. Try setting up two pieces of plywood ten feet apart on the two sides of the car and see if it is wide enough for your tastes.

Oh, and electrical heat tracer wiring might be good on the roof for getting rid of snow build up. Expensive to run, but only needed in the late stages of a big snow.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
A lighter material that is similar to corrugated steel is corrugated fiber glass. Usually green coloured. It is often translucent so you would get some light coming through. And, it is not subject to corrosion. Although, over the long term, it is affected by UV. Check with garden centers and landscaping suppliers.

10 feet might be a bit narrow. Try setting up two pieces of plywood ten feet apart on the two sides of the car and see if it is wide enough for your tastes.

Oh, and electrical heat tracer wiring might be good on the roof for getting rid of snow build up. Expensive to run, but only needed in the late stages of a big snow.
I've tried the fiberglass stuff before and it didn't work for me because my next door neighbor has an overhanging tree which sometimes drops a branch or two in that spot which may crack the GRP if one fell on it.

I know i'm entitled to cut those off but I like to keep on good terms with my next door neighbors, so you have to have a bit of give and take.

We very seldom see serious snow, so that won't be a problem.

Width wise 10ft is more than enough, it only needs to be wide enough for the lifter with room to walk round.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-14-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
I know i'm entitled to cut those off but I like to keep on good terms with my next door neighbors, so you have to have a bit of give and take.
Sort of critical when putting up a unapproved structure in the garden.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

This year I got the right shelter, from Cover-Tech Inc. - Portable Garage, Instant Portable Garage, Portable Carports, Shelters, Storage

This is a 12x20, and it is a serious shelter--heavy tarp, diagonal bracing on the galvanized frame. Cost just under $1500CAD including tax and shipping to Ontario from the manufacturer in New Brunswick. It took two of us several hours to put together.

Those of you within reasonable shipping distance ought to consider this brand, especially if spending $US as our buck is under 0.86 at the mo'.

Attached Thumbnails Portable Garages anyone got one? are they any good?-photo.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

I had one in Massachusetts about 15 years ago. They just don't hold up under wind and snow. I would think they work as temporary shelters in the right climate, but winter snow destroys them.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a 12 x 20 canvas with metal frame "carport". Its one of the cheap $300 ones. Its my second. The first I used the anchors that were provided. I came home one day and it had blown off and the metal frame was twisted like a pretzel.

I bought another, but this time, I anchored it myself. I put cone shaped cement blocks in the ground - the kind that are made to frame decks in with. Then I poured cement in the middle with an eye sticking out to fasten the framework to. This has lasted me 3 years now.

I live in Western New York State and we have a pretty fair amount of snow. Most of it slides off and I have not had a problem with it crushing... yet.

Also, I keep my tractor in it... I don't think I'd be confident enough to keep either jag in it. Or any car for that matter.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

My Cover-Tech Inc. - Portable Garage, Instant Portable Garage, Portable Carports, Shelters, Storage looks as good now as it did before this fairly snowy, windy winter. I never had to push snow off the roof as the design is pretty well self-clearing. Looks like it is worth shelling out for the better product.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Hi OB,

Hamiltons are very reputable suppliers of various covers. I have one of their outdoor car covers. They also do a interesting 20 x 10 double skinned portable garage that uses a PVC floor and then 2 skins of tent-type fabric. Can also have fans to establish airflow. Have a look here:

Hamilton Classic Ltd AutoPod Temporary Garage

In my experience, you can get about 10%+ discount through one of teh car clubs with whom Hamiltons have relationships.

Cheers

Paul

Quick Reply: Portable Garages anyone got one? are they any good?