XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

possible coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,376 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_cat
I would assume it wouldn't take much to reinforce the inner fender for the load. Most cars use strut towers mounted to the inner fenders and wouldn't be too different than the xjs.
Why coil overs? Adjustibility? I've tracked my XJ and helped a friend with his XJ-S... They are deficient to modern cars in many ways but I dont front think coilovers was at the top of that list.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:54 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay I think I understand. So what your saying Greg is to use solid mounts for the subframe, and then go back to my original idea with a coilover or s/s unit in place of the current spring?
Originally Posted by Greg in France
Strut towers are a designed-in part of a unitary body, with a wide diameter load-spreading reinforced area taking the load. The shock absorber top fixing on the XJS is reinforced, but not nearly strong enough to take the full weight and load of the suspension. The front subframe is the only member strong enough to take the full suspension loads. Essentially, feeding the loads directly into the body is no different from feeding them directly into a solidly mounted subframe, so why not do that? or even just fit much more stiff front subframe six shots, but still feed the loads into the subframe?

Old 10-28-2019, 10:57 AM

I guess to lower it, so I have exact adjustments to my liking, with the ability to use different spring rates and also control the compression and rebound of the shock unit.

I used to be into subarus and basically you'd just put on a coilover for performance use. Not too many would just put a lowering spring in as they are set stiffnesses and set lowering ride heights.
Originally Posted by icsamerica
Why coil overs? Adjustibility? I've tracked my XJ and helped a friend with his XJ-S... They are deficient to modern cars in many ways but I dont front think coilovers was at the top of that list.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Okay I think I understand. So what your saying Greg is to use solid mounts for the subframe, and then go back to my original idea with a coilover or s/s unit in place of the current spring?
Yes, exactly that. As long as the tops of the S/S units are mounted to the subframe, and the subframe solidly mounted to the body, the effect would be the same. I think to do this, as TWR did and the XD kit does, you would have to weld extensions onto the top of the subframe towers to provide a top mount for the units. The top wishbone fulcrum is not affected, as welding, cutting and modifiying as required onto the (now redundant) spring tower of the subframe can be done without touching the top wishbone fulcrums. Then, as you said, you would get complete adjustability of ride height and damping, and easy spring changes.
What, if anything, would you do at the rear? Ride height and bump/rebound adjustable rear shockers are bolt on in place of the OEM units, but again, for the ideal you would need to go to solid rear subframe mounts.
I take it comfort is not a priority!

Last edited by Greg in France; 10-28-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:13 PM

I'm looking for a more track minded car but be road legal to drive around to shows. I am definitely a stanced car person. Rears I suppose I would do the same and solid mount it.

So are you thinking you could/would use the shock lower mount as your new coilover mount and then make a new mount for the top that would travel in the middle of the a arm like the excessive company did?

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Yes, exactly that. As long as the tops of the S/S units are mounted to the subframe, and the subframe solidly mounted to the body, the effect would be the same. I think to do this, as TWR did and the XD kit does, you would have to weld extensions onto the top of the subframe towers to provide a top mount for the units. The top wishbone fulcrum is not affected, as welding, cutting and modifiying as required onto the (now redundant) spring tower of the subframe can be done without touching the top wishbone fulcrums. Then, as you said, you would get complete adjustability of ride height and damping, and easy spring changes.
What, if anything, would you do at the rear? Ride height and bump/rebound adjustable rear shockers are bolt on in place of the OEM units, but again, for the ideal you would need to go to solid rear subframe mounts.
I take it comfort is not a priority!

Old 10-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

I'm looking for a more track minded car but be road legal to drive around to shows. I am definitely a stanced car person. Rears I suppose I would do the same and solid mount it.

So are you thinking you could/would use the shock lower mount as your new coilover mount and then make a new mount for the top that would travel in the middle of the a arm like the excessive company did?
I think I would make a bottom mount roughly where the centre of the spring pan is. The top, as you describe. The top mount needs to be quite a bit higher than the top wishbone fulcrum in order to get enough suspension travel.