5 JagZilla (me)
6. Ronbros
7. ukester
8. RonaldP
9. motolindo
10. Japthug
11. androulakis
12. MartySchwartz

I'm not sure when Allan will be back home, but, I hope to be in touch with him in the next couple weeks, to iron out the details.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Add me. Thx, Michael

Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Welcome aboard, lucky number 13

1. Sarc
2. gregh
3. 86jag
4. J_C_R
5 JagZilla (me)
6. Ronbros
7. ukester
8. RonaldP
9. motolindo
10. Japthug
11. androulakis
12. MartySchwartz
13. RealtorMPG

Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

things are perking up on the book,so far 3 guys on another Jag site have got the book, and
putting some interesting info on line!

JZ when may this buy happen?

Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 AM
Received 351 Likes on 224 Posts

I am about half way through this book and I am really finding it interesting - recommended.
The story is great, and definitely worth it.

Last edited by AL NZ; 08-08-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ronbros
things are perking up on the book,so far 3 guys on another Jag site have got the book, and
putting some interesting info on line!

JZ when may this buy happen?
Ron,
Over the weekend, I left a message for Allan to contact me at his earliest convenience when he returns from the UK. So far, I haven't heard from him, so I'm not sure he has returned to NZ and settled in yet.

I'm anxious to hammer out the details of the deal with him, and pass the info on to you guys, so we can get the book in our hot little hands. Allan seems to be a pretty good guy, so I'm hoping that the discount will more than make up for the wait.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

Add me in!

Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by smgdata
Add me in!
Good deal. We're up to 14 now. I'm still waiting to hear from Allan.

1. Sarc
2. gregh
3. 86jag
4. J_C_R
5 JagZilla (me)
6. Ronbros
7. ukester
8. RonaldP
9. motolindo
10. Japthug
11. androulakis
12. MartySchwartz
13. RealtorMPG
14. smgdata

Old 08-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Received 351 Likes on 224 Posts

Allan is home now - he emailed me 2 days ago from Christchurch NZ

Old 08-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just saw the thread!

I would jump in as well if it's still open. How are we going to work the logistics of this? Each pay individually?

Old 08-11-2013, 12:07 PM

Guys,
I heard from Allan, and have included his correspondence below. It appears that the best price he can give us for shipping to the US is $78.00 US.
As he mentioned to me in the past, the one expense he can't discount are the shipping charges. I have seen where some of you have posted a lower overall price for an unsigned book from ebay UK, and various publishing houses. My guess is that those places get discounts based on the volume of books they sell and ship. Allan is an individual, and simply can't afford to match those kinds of discounts. However, he is also the author of the book, and I personally would rather purchase directly from him, knowing that 100% of the money I spend will go straight into the pocket of the gentleman who toiled to originate this great book, and who plans to bring us 3 more books based on TWR's involvement with other Jaguar based racing campaigns. The publishing houses also can't provide a personalized signed copy of the book.

Those of you who want to get the book at the absolute bottom dollar are welcome to explore other purchasing avenues. Those of you who, like me, place a higher value on receiving a personalize piece of Jaguar's racing history know that this offer from Allan is a rare opportunity.

I will get Allan's PayPal information, and pass it on to each of you in a private message, along with a password/discount code which will allow Allan to identify each of us for this discount.

"Hi scott, Thank you for your efforts with this. The pass word and agreed discount is no problem, the main one as we have talked about is freight, at this stage a third of the book price. I am only just back from the UK and trying to catch up on a backlog of stuff. The idea of trying to have a better freight deal to one holding centre in the US is also looking non productive cost wise. At this stage without knowing each International destination it looks like a special price of $US78 postage paid [US$25] for a signed book with unique dedication if required. I have a PayPal account and that would be the best way to complete the transaction. The book reviews would be much appreciated. Regards Allan"

Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Received 210 Likes on 133 Posts

As I stated, I am in Japan. I think the shipping will be some cheaper than to the US, for Japan is much closer to Australia. Would it be possible for you to ask him to provide me with a price to Japan?

Old 08-12-2013, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Japthug
As I stated, I am in Japan. I think the shipping will be some cheaper than to the US, for Japan is much closer to Australia. Would it be possible for you to ask him to provide me with a price to Japan?
I just contacted Allan, and asked him that very question. Below is what I wrote to him:

* I censored the code. However, would anyone mind if I reveal the code in a future post for anyone on the forum who wishes to buy a signed/inscribed copy of his book?*

Allan,

Thank you for your reply. I'm sure you have several things backlogged after a month away from home. I pasted your reply into my latest entry on the forum.
I thought we could use something simple for the password/discount code. ******** seems like it would be a good one.
What is your PayPal info, which I can pass on to the forum members?
Also, one of the members is from Japan, which is quite a bit closer to you than the US. Could you provide me with a price for him which will include shipping to his location?
Another member is from Canada. Will his cost be the same as if he were in the US?
Can the members suggest to you what to inscribe in their copies when they order?
We will also need information on where to send our reviews when we have read the book. Where will the reviews be used/posted?

Many Thanks,
Scott

Old 08-12-2013, 08:17 PM

Allan replied quickly to my last email. Below is what he said:

Hi Scott, ******** is good code. PayPal is to Allan Scott code 0413. Any inscription can be added to the signed book. Will look at postage to different countries but once outside Australia seems to go straight from nz$30 to nz$42.50 [eg to Czechoslovakia]. Thanks Allan

The following is my response to him:

Thanks Allan. I'll pass that information along to our members. At this point we have 15 people who have expressed interest in purchasing your book. However, if you are willing to leave this as an open-ended offer, I could make the password available to all members of the XJS forum there, as well as on the other XJS forum at Jag-Lovers.org, Doing that could double the number of buyers, or more. It would also set the stage for potential buyers of your other 3 scheduled books in future group buys. I know that I plan to buy all 4 books, if possible, and I'm sure other (and wealthier) members would also like to acquire a complete set as each book becomes available.

Please let me know when you find out about postage charges to both Japan and Canada. I suspect postage to Canada will be very similar to the US, but, I would hope postage to Japan will be considerably less.

Where should we send the reviews when we have read the book, and where might those reviews be used?

Scott

Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by motolindo
If the cost will be equal to, or less than what it would cost me to order it on my own you can count me in.

for reference, I have sent out a request for a shipping estimate to the US from this seller:
TWR and Jaguar's XJS: Inside Tom Walkinshaws Group A Racing Team by Allan Scott - ISBN: 9780987666550 (John Douglas Publishing)

Their price is $62.09 AUS (they are outside of Sydney), which is ~$56 US. This is the best price I have found. Obviously, this would not be a signed copy.

I will post any reply I get from Wheelers Books.

Dan
Dan,
Their website will show shipping to the US (or whatever country you list as your shipping address for your account) if you register with them first. Their price on the book as of today, August 15, 2013, with today's rate of currency exchange calculated by onlineconversion.com, is $65.69NZ, which is $52.56US. Then they add packing and shipping, which is $46.86NZ, or $37.49US. This comes to a grand total of $112.55NZ, or $90.55US if you purchase from Wheeler's Books.

Additionally, I have heard from Allan again, and it seems that the cost of international postage has risen since he last checked. He informed me that it has gone up $4US, which would bring our cost up to $82US per book, with shipping to Canada being the same as to the US. That's not a huge discount from what Wheeler's is selling it for, but, it would be a signed, personalized book if purchased directly from Allan.

Japthug, I regret to pass along that postage to Japan is higher than to the US. He did not say if that is due to some sort of tariffs, taxes, or something similar.

Below is his latest message to me. This one was from Facebook, rather than email, as the last messages were.

"Facebookhi scott, There is no reduction for Japan, infact it is the most expensive. All rates have gone up us$4, Cnada the same as USA [nz$37]. Regards Allan"

The following users liked this post:
motolindo (08-20-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Received 210 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi Scott, thank you for the trouble.
I see, that's a pity but I will buy the book anyway.
Please let me know the code so I can pay for him.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott,

Great. Thanks for taking this project on! I will order a copy as soon as you are able to send / post the promo code.

Dan

Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Default Purchase information

Since we keep getting additional people who are interested in this book, Allan has agreed to make this an open offer for members of both this website, and Jag-lovers, for an indefinite period of time.

People wishing to purchase Allan's book "TWR and Jaguar's XJS" can send an email directly to Allan Scott here:

stay@elmtreehouse.co.nz
If you have a personalized inscription you would like written inside, this would be the time to let Allan know.

Purchase Price for the U.S. and Canada, international postage included: US$82

Discount Code: JAGFORUM

Allan prefers PayPal payments. I'm not certain he can accommodate credit card payments, but, you can always ask him when you email him at the above address.

To ensure that the process would go smoothly, I just bought my copy. I mostly use PayPal to pay for items bought on ebay or an online store, so, for me, the PayPal site was a little confusing on exactly how to buy something from an individual. On the PayPal home screen click on the BUY tab. On the screen which opens next, click the box that says MAKE A PAYMENT. A new screen opens and you fill in yours, and Allan's email info and the amount you are sending. On my order, I put the title of the book, and the JAGFORUM discount code in the SUBJECT block. There is a comment block at the bottom which you can use to inform Allan what you would like inscribed in your copy.

After I did that, this is what my screen looked like, and I simply clicked the SEND MONEY button.

*EDIT*
Be sure to fill in your shipping address area on the PayPal site. I assumed that PayPal would do this automatically for me (since they have had it on file for about a million years now), but, looking at my order, it appears that they didn't, and I had to send it to Allan in a separate email just now.

Attached Thumbnails Possible group buy- New XJS Book-screen-shot-2013-08-21-8.jpg  

Last edited by JagZilla; 08-21-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Posting Additional Ordering Information
Old 08-29-2013, 01:03 PM

Has anyone, besides me, taken advantage of this discount yet?

Let's hear from you.

Quick Reply: Possible group buy- New XJS Book