XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Possible issues with PCB?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible issues with PCB?

Having a few issues that may be related to the PCB. Last time i was working on instrument cluster and adding a redundant ground I noticed there was a small tear in the PCB in the top right hand corner right where it touches the screw.

The issues I'm having include my turn signal blinks on my dashboard are not lighting up, but I can hear them.

Right hand turn signals are blinking furiously to the point where it doesn't really blink...its just turns on.

Horn stopped working.

When i added the redundant ground, all my gauges finally worked perfectly. The oil pressure gauge was previously "dead". However after a few weeks, some of the gauges now seem to stick at the bottom unless I tap the cluster a few times (sometimes harder than others).

Anyone think these issues are related to the tear in the PCB? If so, where could I get one. Haven't been able to find one online.

thanks.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not have an answer for you - sorry.
But I noticed your stats on the 1990 XJS. Do you mind sharing some info on the logo mats and upholstery (level of satisfaction, where purchased) as these are next on my To Do List?
THX and good luck with your trouble shooting.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Smile Plugs!

The contacts at the rear of the dash where the two main harnesses plug in are an issue. When I removed my dash for the same blinker problem I thought that by merely cleaning the contacts that would be the fix but, to my dismay I had to remove it again as only one blinker indicator light lit. It seems that the contacts for those little bulbs need tweeking as I replaced what seemed to be a good bulb with a new one and it still would not work until I fiddled a little bit with the socket.
Plus, when I plugged the dash in again the right indicator didn't blink but, while leaving it plugged in but not yet inserted, and with the right blinker on, I reached in and wiggled the plugs and poof the right blinker light lit. So, try wiggling those plugs. But here's one for the books, Why do my yellow bar and the bulb out indicator light up when I put the parking brake on? Bud

Old 09-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,247 Likes on 5,431 Posts

Originally Posted by buddyluv
. So, try wiggling those plugs. But here's one for the books, Why do my yellow bar and the bulb out indicator light up when I put the parking brake on? Bud
I expect you know already, but just in case not, when the parking brake is on and the ignition is on, and you press the footbrake, these lights come on as a test that the bulb out indicator is working. The yellow one is triggered by the bulb out one, as part of the warning system.

Greg

The following users liked this post:
buddyluv (09-16-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Newguy - sorry it took me so long to respond to your question about the mats but I couldn't track down the info. After some detective work I check my bank statement and found that the company name is Averys Floor Mats. The phone number is 573-373-5347 and I paid $77 shipped to CA. The mats are very high quality, very thick carpeting, and the logo was done impeccably. I don't have pics, but I go the light brown/sandy color with black stitching for the logo. I highly recommend them as they really set off the interior and give the car a great look. Every comments on them when they see them.

The upholstery was done by the previous owner and I would rate it a 6 out of 10. poor craftsmanship if you look very closely.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Many thanks, JagVilly. I appreciate you digging this up for me.