XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Potential new XJ-S HE V12 owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 02:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the input mates, well appreciated!

Called the dealer yesterday and told him about the issue of overheating and temp gauge in worrisome position. He told he hadn't noticed and it should be quite normal for temp to raise above normal level in the gauge. Told him back it is not from what I've read on the internet and Kirby Palm's book. Afterwards he said he'd understand and told it's better not to get the car outside as it'd be an effort as it is blocked in the corner by numerous other cars.

Still tempted to buy one and was wondering afterwards if it'd be worth to offer less than 5000 euros for it. There's not many of them for sale in Finland and prices are starting from 10k and up. Might have to have a look abroad for a LHD with service history or other proof of it having been taken care of. Any hints where to look first? Autoscout24 and mobile.de seem to command similar prices for cars which are in worse condition and have rust, other bodywork issues or bad interior.

I've test driven an XK8 earlier this year and it was really to my liking. Have been considering an XK8 as well so it's really a difficult to decise between an XJ-S and an XK8/R. I really like the classic aesthetics and feeling of XJ-S and lower insurace and other running costs as it's old enough to gain veteran status in Finland. XK8 on the other hand seems to be more reliable and practical but it hasn't got that similar 70's classic feeling. Difficult times for me... Any thoughts for this? Should I give up on XJ-S and start looking for a XK8 or XKR instead? Which one is more DIY friendly and easier to work on?

Last edited by joonash; 11-25-2016 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,241 Likes on 5,427 Posts

Originally Posted by joonash
Called the dealer yesterday and told him about the issue of overheating and temp gauge in worrisome position. He told he hadn't noticed and it should be quite normal for temp to raise above normal level in the gauge. Told him back it is not from what I've read on the internet and Kirby Palm's book. Afterwards he said he'd understand and told it's better not to get the car outside as it'd be an effort as it is blocked in the corner by numerous other cars.
Forget this one then

Still tempted to buy one and was wondering afterwards if it'd be worth to offer less than 5000 euros for it.
No,

Might have to have a look abroad for a LHD with service history or other proof of it having been taken care of. Any hints where to look first?
look on Ebay.co.uk and you will find LHD cars there all ready to go for this sort of money. Very good time to buy with euros as they pound is fairly cheap right now. Far cheaper than Finnish prices. Loads of RHD obviously, and a ferry home from Uk not that expensive. The odd LHD always appears, and always start by offering 1500 less than asking price if the car is over 7000 UKP. eg:
1988 JAGUAR XJS 5.3 V12 COUPE AUTOMATIC LEFT HAND DRIVE * ONLY 46000 MILES | eBay

I've test driven an XK8 earlier this year and it was really to my liking. Have been considering an XK8 as well so it's really a difficult to decise between an XJ-S and an XK8/R. I really like the classic aesthetics and feeling of XJ-S and lower insurace and other running costs as it's old enough to gain veteran status in Finland. XK8 on the other hand seems to be more reliable and practical but it hasn't got that similar 70's classic feeling. Difficult times for me... Any thoughts for this? Should I give up on XJ-S and start looking for a XK8 or XKR instead? Which one is more DIY friendly and easier to work on?
XK8 is less of a DIY proposition, I believe, because of far more complex electronics, less reliable engine, more expensive parts, less expertise available online. Lovely car, of course, but a more modern proposition. If you can find one, a Lucas ignition XJS coupe with no ABS or cats, is a good DIY proposition within the limits of it being a Jaguar V12, obviously. Rust is an issue on all old cars, and the XK8 is, sadly, not much better, if at all than an decent XJS.
Greg

Old 11-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers I had totally forgot about ebay... Doesn't necessarily have to be LHD if a gem would be found as RHD. There was one owner HE with ~ 25k miles on clock for around 15k that caught my eye. Have to do some market research and start looking for the one.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,241 Likes on 5,427 Posts

Cheers I had totally forgot about ebay... Doesn't necessarily have to be LHD if a gem would be found as RHD. There was one owner HE with ~ 25k miles on clock for around 15k that caught my eye. Have to do some market research and start looking for the one.
Absolutely loads of decent XJSs on UK Ebay. if RHD not a problem, you will easily find something. With a V12 XJS recent and regular use, proper maintenance history, and current roadworthiness is far more important than low mileage. Quite often low mileage cars have all sorts of problems though lack of exercise and need huge amounts of catch-up maintenance.
Greg

Old 11-27-2016, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Hi Joonash

Greg is absolutely right, as when I read between the lines of your latest reply I somehow got the feeling that you might have 'Spooked' the dealer with that Overheating Issue that the Red Car has.

As soon as they manage to Suss the fact that they know what you're talking about, then the balance of buying power, shifts in your direction.

But Please do Not buy this one, as it is quite clearly a 'Lemon' of Citritic proportions, where the cost of Insurance would be the least of your worries.

Spend a Weekend in the UK and then take one back on the Ferry or you will spend a lifetime regretting that purchase and throwing your money away.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (11-27-2016)
Old 08-31-2019, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 270 Posts
Default Overheating.

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Agreed.

Look carefully at that oil leak, the selector shaft seal is the common culprit, from sitting around. A $3 seal, many hours to replace, as the selector shaft MUST be removed to do so, which means pan off, exhaust off, etc.

The temp gauge is a WORRY for sure. If that is after a short engine run, she got issues.

NO way of knowing any damage without dismantling the engine.

Those 2 things concern me heaps, and I dontget concerned about V12 engine very easily. They are STRONG, but overheat, and your National Debt will be needed to rebuild it.
I would use the temp and oil leak as a serious bargaining tool, and be prepared to walk away if you think you are getting any "spin".

Apart from what you asked in the first post about Patience, as to what else you need.

HAHAHA.

Sense of humour, the more warped the better.
Language, your choice, but not the sort for publication.
Bandaids, LOTS, as blood letting is going to happen.
Tools, LOTS OF THEM, coz when ya drop one it will NOT drop out the bottom.
Time, plenty of that at frst, to get this car "up to snuff", after that, no more than any other car on the road.
Alcohol, HEAPS, for you, not the car.
Sense of adventure, nuff said.

After all that, GO FOR IT.
A lot of people fail to read the owners manual. The distributor needs to be oiled or it freezes up. When that happens the timing is off but that V 12 keeps on running smoothly. The result is often overheating. ( the advance/retard mechanism could also fail, adding to or being the cause of overheating).
Always assuming there is no trash between the radiator and A/C? Fresh antifreeze? Properly filled without the air that is often trapped?