XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Power locks-1996 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Spike, I do have some small conectors under the console at the top and window switches. What color is the 'valet' one. The phone connections are under there too but I don't have a phone.
I have the top and quarter windows working now. I simply ran a size 20 wire from the top relays to the top 'down' and 'up' switches. I did the same for the quarter windows. I soldered the wires to the original switch wires so they can also be used if any future owner wants to spend the money to fix this problem. I removed the relays and put the wire into the little hole in the appropriate spade on the breaker and so trapped the wire upon pluging the breaker back in.
The quarter windows are wired together so you only need to install a wire on one breaker for 'up' and one for 'down'. THe top and quarter window must be wired seperately because the top takes about 12 seconds and the windows take only 4.
I now have a top and quarter windows that I can lower and raise as I please. No module to need a signal from a parking brake or shifter position.
RagJag

Old 08-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RagJag
Magravet. THe swimming pool in your passenger footwell is probably caused by the AC condensate draining down there instead of going on the ground. THe tube from the evaporator surround is blocked. Go under the car and run a clothes hanger wire of other probe into it. This tube is only .3 inches in diameter. Dont push the wire too far into it because you don't want to damage the evaporator. I really don't know if you could puncture it, but it pays to be careful. A lot of water ran out of my tubes. The right side was wetting the carpet and now doesn't.
Cheers, RagJag
Thanks but I wish it were that easy. The water is definately rain water, as the car hasn't been run in 5 weeks, it rained a couple of days, and there is my diving pool ......... :O)
it appears to be coming from the rear, as the rear side carpets are wet, and then it flows down the floorpan to the area where the seat modules are.
Could anyone send me a picture of how the seals on the rear windows look at the junction of the door and rear quarter panel, as mine have at least a 1/2 gap there, and I'm wondering if that's how the water is getting in. Also the rear window seal in the convertible top, is fitted badly, and has a gap in it at the bottom, so I'm sure that is not right either. when i have my seats out for recovering, I'm going to lift all the carpets, and put a hose on the car to trace the leaks ........either that or buy a tarp ............ :O)

Last edited by magredvet; 08-22-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Re remote programming:

Find the connector with the yellow/white stripe wire and the black wire. . Remove the connector and splice each wire to a two prong toggle switch. Basically you are grounding the yellow/white wire.
1. Turn the car "on" not the engine
2.Turn your switch on
3. Turn the car all the way of
4. Flip the toggle switch quickly back and forth until you hear a noise from the car. That means its ready to receive remotes. Sometimes you have to try it a couple of times before it "takes"
5.press the button in the remote you want to program. Up to 5 can be programmed, so if you have one remote press it 5 times, if you have 2, press one two times and the other 3, if you have 5 press each remote once. You get the picture. When you are all done leave your toggle switch in the "on" or ground position. This means the car is on valet mode and only working as a keyless entry system, all the alarm functions deactivated.

Good luck

Old 08-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Magravet. I forgot to menton that there are two tubes. One for both sides. Look for them above the tranny coming through the tunnel wall.
RagJag

Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM

Spike, would it be just as well to ground the y/w wire without installing a switch?
RagJag

Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

You could, but it's easier if you ever want program remotes make the alarm options operative

Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM

Spikepaga. Thanks for the help. Incidentally, I would trade you my headlight washers for the fog lights. lol What are the two gold colored things on your front bumper? Badges of some kind or reflections? Just curious .
RagJag

Old 08-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RagJag
Spikepaga. Thanks for the help. Incidentally, I would trade you my headlight washers for the fog lights. lol What are the two gold colored things on your front bumper? Badges of some kind or reflections? Just curious .
RagJag
Hey Rag, Those badges on my grill are just auto-club badges.
Oh and as much as your washers sweeten the pot, I don't think I'll be trading my Foglights....lol. :-D

But the fog lights do appear randomly on e bay, some people want to gouge for them, and sometimes you can get a great deal. I got the pair that's on the car brand new (OEM original) with the Jaguar covers for less than 300.00. ....and I also have 2 back up pairs just in case lol.