XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

power steering leak (vid in thread)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 01:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default power steering leak (vid in thread)

EDIT: I've decided to replace with rebuilt steering rack

hi forum,

I'm a fairly new member (introduction here) and have my first issue.. a power steering leak on the LH side..

I felt the steering start to feel tight a week or so ago, and then one day leaving the store, it was like it was empty, with all of the bad associated noise. I took it to the auto store on my way home (just a few miles) and picked up a bottle of Valvoline full synthetic ATF, as they didn't have Dex III available. It said compatible with Dex IV, and I've read that these are backwards compatible, so I went ahead and went with it.. I filled it up, and it drove fine, but then I noticed leaking. (there was no evidence of a leak before, but it could have been hiding in the area I park. just never noticed anything) I got it up on stands and tracked down the leak (vid below) this seems to be the only leak location.

I'm doing parts/repair research now, but if any members know any tips about these repairs, I would be greatly appreciative.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5748.MOV (18.97 MB, 19 views)
File Type: mov
Untitled.mov (19.31 MB, 12 views)

Last edited by gogobrent; 02-05-2024 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:58 PM

I'm thinking it might the pinion seal after some reading and watching
from the living with a classic series.

my question is what else should I replace while I have everything out.. wishbone bushings look rough so I will probably replace those along with the rack bushings.

anything else I should prepare for parts and tools wise? I'm a shade tree mechanic, but I grew up in welding and fabrication and am no stranger to turning a wrench and working in tight spaces.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:56 PM

I'm now tempted to buy a refurbished rack for $500 after reading a thread by a member who said he dropped the rack in total of 5 times without fixing leak before deciding to buy a new one

Old 02-06-2024, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 847 Likes on 529 Posts

Some have reported success with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. You might give it a try and see if there is any improvement.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:21 PM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
Some have reported success with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. You might give it a try and see if there is any improvement.
As loathe as I am to use that sort of thing, I have on rare occasion and did with my 90 when it started leaking from the driver rack end seal about 20K ago.
There is probably mostly Lucas in the PS system now and it over the course of a few months slowed the leak considerably.
Not stopped, nothing is going to do that, but it's slowed enough I can check the fluid level once a week or two and live with it
till I get around to rebuilding the front suspension rather than making a special trip in there just to do the rack.
Wasn't an overnight cure and I suspect it's a coin toss whether it helps a given example or not but it did in my case.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default MAVAL in Ohio

Originally Posted by gogobrent
I'm now tempted to buy a refurbished rack for $500 after reading a thread by a member who said he dropped the rack in total of 5 times without fixing leak before deciding to buy a new one
The rack in my 1990 OTS was leaking and I ordered a kit to rebuild it. I called Maval in Ohio for help and they kindly allowed me to speak with their technician who did the rebuilds. I'm an experienced mechanic and failed to get it right (the seals can be really dicey). So I sent my rack and power steering pump to Maval. They rebuild both for, at the time, $340 or so. It was in 2014. I also replaced the hoses, available from eBay (123autoparts) for a reasonable price, $57. I've never had a problem since. I would check with them

I don't have the receipt but I do have the shipping information for Maval:
Maval Manufacturing
Attention: Dale Lumby
1555 Enterprise Parkway
Twinsburg, OH 44887-2239

They did right by me. It's 10 years ago and things can change, but I'd check them out before going the new route.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:03 AM

appreciate the reply..

I called Maval a few days ago.. around $600 for a rebuild and 72 hr turnaround, if I remember correctly.

I don't love the idea of shipping it off, but it does seem like a solid option.

I also found what seems to be a a solid oem ZF rebuilt one on eBay for around $500.

still trying to determine what else I would need for the conversion.

Old 02-12-2024, 11:24 AM

I went ahead and bought a rebuilt, non ZF rack after reading some threads here and elsewhere about the cost/benefit.