XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Preventing the vent leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventing the vent leak?

Ive been makin g seperate post for each topic I hope thats ok...

I was wondering what the solution is to prevent leaks coming in through the vent and pooling on the passenger side floor.

Im also wodeering where in Canada ir the US you would recomed getting floor panel replacements
Cost of parts and labour

Vs having only the front quarter part of the floor replaced and the cost of that.

Since the car is an 86, if the price difference isisnt huge, it might be worth doing while under there?

Old 04-16-2022, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,330 Likes on 5,475 Posts

If water is pooling on the floor after rain, then it is coming in through the windscreen rubber, almost certainly. There are two solutions:
  • get a tube of bitumastic roof sealer, push the nozzle under the rubber, get it between the rubber and the screen, and go all the way round squirting loads in. Bitumastic sealer is Far better in this application than any silicone type gunk. Once done, white spirit and rags to clean it up. While you are at it, also do the rear screen, but this time between the aperture metal and the seal; or
  • Buy a new front screen seal and get a screen place to replace the old seal.
If it gets wet after driving the car aircon on, then the aircon drains are blocked.

The following users liked this post:
ayishas.xjs (04-16-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Originally Posted by ayishas.xjs
Ive been makin g seperate post for each topic I hope thats ok...

Personally, I prefer it that way. As opposed to a single thread that goes on for months or years discussing 20-30-50 different repairs/projects/problems

I was wondering what the solution is to prevent leaks coming in through the vent and pooling on the passenger side floor.

I agree with Greg. I'll just add that an option is to replace the windshield seal.....which in and of itself is rather easy on these cars. Any auto glass shop could do it. Removing and reinstalling the bright metal trim, though, is tricky. Best to do it yourself. The guys at the glass shop probably won't have the patience.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
ayishas.xjs (04-16-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
If water is pooling on the floor after rain, then it is coming in through the windscreen rubber, almost certainly. There are two solutions:
  • get a tube of bitumastic roof sealer, push the nozzle under the rubber, get it between the rubber and the screen, and go all the way round squirting loads in. Bitumastic sealer is Far better in this application than any silicone type gunk. Once done, white spirit and rags to clean it up. While you are at it, also do the rear screen, but this time between the aperture metal and the seal; or
  • Buy a new front screen seal and get a screen place to replace the old seal.
If it gets wet after driving the car aircon on, then the aircon drains are blocked.
This makes perfect sense! The cheome around the window is lifting in the corners. What can be used to secure that back into place?

Would the glass place ehave the correct rubber piece needed or would I need to sorce it myself?

Old 04-16-2022, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Personally, I prefer it that way. As opposed to a single thread that goes on for months or years discussing 20-30-50 different repairs/projects/problems

I agree with Greg. I'll just add that an option is to replace the windshield seal.....which in and of itself is rather easy on these cars. Any auto glass shop could do it. Removing and reinstalling the bright metal trim, though, is tricky. Best to do it yourself. The guys at the glass shop probably won't have the patience.

Cheers
DD
If they are going to struggle with it I probably will struggle more lol! The trim is lifting in the corners, any idea what I can use to secure it down?

Old 04-16-2022, 08:52 AM
Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

The trim fits into a grove in the windshield gasket. You need to carefully work it in. Get a smooth plastic tool to help, slide it on top of the trim and in the grove, then lever the rubber on top of the trim. Move up a little and repeat.

Looking at that picture, I would not be surprised if you found some rust when you remove the windshield.

Old 04-16-2022, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,330 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Originally Posted by garethashenden
Looking at that picture, I would not be surprised if you found some rust when you remove the windshield.
Agreed. You really need to have that screen out and a new rubber fitted, having first cleaned up the metal edge and repaired anything that has rusted. You will have to source the windscreen rubber. David Manners, SNG etc should have them. If you ask the local JEC branch, they may well know of a screen place that has experience of doing them.