XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Primed Euro headlamp bezel fitment on 88 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Primed Euro headlamp bezel fitment on 88 XJS

I'm in the processs of changing out my 88 quad headlamps for the pre-facelift glass Euro style single unit. I have my headlamps, wiring harness's and the retaining clips for the actual lamp install, but the chrome bezels that came with the headlamps are missing all tabs and clips. I assume they are useless!!
I want to change to the body cover and have found many for sale that are primed and ready to paint, but they say 92 to 96 fit.
I've looked at EVERY photo of these and it seems as if they are the exact same as the broken ones I have but with tabs. The new bezel tabs seem to be in the exact same place.
Can someone PLEASE!!!! tell me if they will fit??

Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Euro Headlamps

I refitted both my 82 and 91 xjs jags. The 82 bezels have two small nibs on the bottom that fit into holes to hold them. There is a side hole along with the top tab. Fortunately the pair I got for the 82 were these such bezels and all I had to fabricate was the angle bracket for the side attachment. (you will need to do this for any year unless it was included with the replacements). A simple right angle will work. You'll figure it out. You can attach it under the bulb adjuster bolt. The top tab attaches in the same place as the quad lights. You might find a thick washer will be needed under the tab. The newer bezels have a right angle bracket for the bottom but there's no clear way to attach it to the car so another bracket will have to be made. I just let the bottom hang. Where's it gonna go? There a bit flimsy but they stay on. You may want to fashion a bracket. I may get around to it at long last. Hope this helped! Bud

Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by buddyluv
I refitted both my 82 and 91 xjs jags. The 82 bezels have two small nibs on the bottom that fit into holes to hold them. There is a side hole along with the top tab. Fortunately the pair I got for the 82 were these such bezels and all I had to fabricate was the angle bracket for the side attachment. (you will need to do this for any year unless it was included with the replacements). A simple right angle will work. You'll figure it out. You can attach it under the bulb adjuster bolt. The top tab attaches in the same place as the quad lights. You might find a thick washer will be needed under the tab. The newer bezels have a right angle bracket for the bottom but there's no clear way to attach it to the car so another bracket will have to be made. I just let the bottom hang. Where's it gonna go? There a bit flimsy but they stay on. You may want to fashion a bracket. I may get around to it at long last. Hope this helped! Bud
Thanks, Buddy,
I figured I would have to modify any thing I could find.
I'm not above some epoxy clay and a bit of Velcro!!
Never thought the Bezel would be so hard to fit! I've purchased several headlamps that were useless, no silver inside, now the bezel???
I think the reason they couldn't replace the XJS sooner was because they kept slightly altering every tiny part!! That damn bezel should fit from 75=96!!