XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Problem with 1995 XJS 4.0 L

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 302 Posts

The pump assembly should look like this.

Problem with 1995 XJS 4.0 L-nmd6013aa.jpg

Cheers,

Allan

Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I provided him with a Bosch replacement pump alone.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Independent of what you gave him, 4 hours of labor to replace the pump is a great price.

Was this shop in Queens? I grew up in Jackson Heights.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Received 114 Likes on 85 Posts

Did the bosch pump come with the new sock filter? While he was in there he should have changed the filter regardless. I wouldn't agree with the comment that failure to replace the whole housing will lead to certain failure, based on my knowledge.

Assuming the fuel pump in a '95 is in the tank, like my '92, 4 hours labor does not sound bad including the transmission filter change. I will eventually be replacing my fuel pump and anticipate it will take more time than that.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 1,216 Posts

I've replaced a fuel pump on a Ford Taurus and I replaced only the pump itself. The plastic housing was in great shape and didn't need to be replaced at all.

The sock filter was included in the fuel pump package I purchased. (I think it was a Bosch as well) I would bet it came with this one as well.

Four hours is a fantastic price. Based on others on this forum, replacing the fuel pump from the facelift cars is supposed to be quite the chore. I'd be happy to pay someone four hours of labor to do it, using my parts of course.

I think it took me about that long to replace the one on the Taurus and it was very straightforward in terms of not having to remove anything to get the tank down to get to the pump!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

I agree with Vee and Noah, 4 hrs labour seems very good to me, there is quite a bit of wrenching involved. As to replacing the housing, i guess it depends on what shape it was in and if he charged you and arm and a leg

Glad the car is running smooth.

Cheers,

Allan

Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No start

AllanG.

I just (this last week) replaced the fuel pump in my 1995 XJS, and it did not look anything like the one that you pictured. Picture attached. 1.25" diameter, about 5" tall.
I replaced it with one supplied by NAPA made by Delphi ($144), took me about 4-5 hours to replace. Replaced fuel filter at same time.

But that didn't solve MY problem.

My problem was intermittent starting. It is always fine when cold or cool. But after slow driving or idling around and having a warm motor, it may or may not start.

Originally I thought it was vapor locking, but other XJS owners tell me that with the injectors, this is not a problem with these cars.

Tonite, I cleaned the throttle body (it was filthy), put back together and my stumble from a stop and short idle was greatly reduced. But after the car got warm, it wouldn't start again until I let it cool down for 15 minutes.

One thing I did notice as it was after dark.... The "check engine light" on the dash would flash while cranking the motor. After it cooled, the check engine light would come on, stay on, and the motor would start.

I checked the OBDII for codes. Nothing comes up as being amiss.

Got any ideas on this one?

I was planning to use the XJS for a 1,200 mile trip wandering around Tennessee in August, but now I don't trust it.

For the record: 103,000 miles on the clock. Otherwise runs and drives great. Love the damn thing... beats driving the TR6 and getting buffetted to death...

Attached Thumbnails Problem with 1995 XJS 4.0 L-photo.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by britcardriver
AllanG.

I just (this last week) replaced the fuel pump in my 1995 XJS, and it did not look anything like the one that you pictured. Picture attached. 1.25" diameter, about 5" tall.
I replaced it with one supplied by NAPA made by Delphi ($144), took me about 4-5 hours to replace. Replaced fuel filter at same time.
Oops, you're quite right, I goofed and posted a pic of the fuel pump from a MY94, the pump for MY95 is as you've shown. (Sorry to mislead Taso )

But that didn't solve MY problem.

My problem was intermittent starting. It is always fine when cold or cool. But after slow driving or idling around and having a warm motor, it may or may not start.
You might check the fuel pressure regulator, stick some gauges on the fuel rail and run the engine, then shut it off and see if the pressure holds for a minute or so. If it doesn't you might have a dodgy regulator.

Tonite, I cleaned the throttle body (it was filthy), put back together and my stumble from a stop and short idle was greatly reduced. But after the car got warm, it wouldn't start again until I let it cool down for 15 minutes.
The throttle body and EGR valve seem to be common problem areas for the AJ16 that can cause rough idling or poor starting. You might want to check and clean your EGR and also the recirculation port that is behind the throttle body.

Love the damn thing... beats driving the TR6 and getting buffetted to death...
Ah the TR6, had one when I was much younger, drove the hell out of it until it dropped the differential while I was accelerating out of a roundabout!! The XJS is definitely a more civilized ride

Cheers,

Allan

Old 07-31-2013, 10:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,

I live in Queens and I took the car to Sports and Classics in Manhattan for the repair. They charged me for fuel system diagnostics and 4 hours labor to change the fuel pump. They separately charged me for transmission fluid and filter change.

Everything together including fuel pump swap with a part that I provided, fuel filter replacement, trans filter and fluid replacement cost $850.

I'm just happy everything's working again! Now to see what else goes wrong =)

Taso