XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Project 1990 XJS Rouge: 2JZ-GTE Engine Swap!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:56 PM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 396 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by ken@britishparts.com
Very simple. We insure all shipments so if they are lost. If you lived down the street, it would be cheap to ship. Shipping is what it costs. Next you'll complain about the duties and tariffs. I don't charge those either.

What do you want me to do, not insure it? And, if it gets lost, I'm sure you won't want to pay for it? Correct? I take all the risk. No thank you.
yes. not insure it! us air mail is insured by the us for $50, so what risk are you taking? no holidays out of massive profit on postage prices , i am fed up being ripped off by chancers in the spares game, if insurance is available let the punter have the choice

Last edited by rgp; 07-02-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a small note on shipping. We ship our products to many countries including the UK. Our cutomers decide on the shipping method. We ship to the UK using freight consolidators. We also ship to the UK by US post office PIOIRITY mail FLAT RATE BOX. The flat rate box has a USPS tracking number, and can be insured at additional cost.
We also need to prepare a customs declaration form which has its own tracking number. When shipping USPS, we advise our customers that once the package leaves our warehouse, we do not take any further responsibility for the shipment. We have made insurance claims for lost packages, and USPS may take up to 6 months to recover the loss. For the record, I own an 89 XJS convertible, black, black top, tan interior....and the Marelli ignition...ouch.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Bigaaron, thanks once more for sharing this superb project with us. I just wish that you were a little nearer so I could drop by and drool in person. Cheers.

PS, I quite like the rims that you have on the car at the moment, they have a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about them.

RGP, I don't know where your gripe with our Vendor Motorcars LTD or Ken came from, but calling them, or implying that they are chancers in the spares trade will not be accepted around here. If you ask a company for a price quote, you either accept or reject it, that's it.

Please no one else post anything that is not directly related to Bigaaron's magnificent shared project, in this thread. It WILL be deleted!

Old 07-03-2010, 03:33 AM

Thank you very much Translator! I was wondering why my thread was getting hijacked about something completely unrelated?!? LOL

Yeah, the wheels that are on it now were put on there a long long time ago. Since we are trying to modernize the look a bit, and since I think there will be a possible magazine photo shoot of the car at some point, it's got to be 17's or 18's. The only other ones I considered were BBS mesh in 17", but they are so expensive used that I can get a brand new set for the same price.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by ken@britishparts.com
Very simple. We insure all shipments so if they are lost. If you lived down the street, it would be cheap to ship. Shipping is what it costs. Next you'll complain about the duties and tariffs. I don't charge those either.

What do you want me to do, not insure it? And, if it gets lost, I'm sure you won't want to pay for it? Correct? I take all the risk. No thank you.

Since you guys hijacked my thread, now you need to give me a deal on some parts ....and if you do, I promise I will not follow you around the forum to bitch about duties and tax.

1) I need two rear bumpstops #C-40158
2) I also need door seals for both sides. I am sure the car is a 1990, and the normal seals I am seeing online say they only fit 1976-89.
3) I would take a trunk seal too, for good measure.

What would be the cost and availability of all these items?

Last edited by Bigaaron; 07-03-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Wink

this is a superb effort, I just wish there were machine shops in the UK that could handle engineering tasks like this, there used be be hundreds of them 20 years ago, now its days on the phone just to find one...for instance, a custom torque converter, wtf! and those engine mounts are a thing of beauty!!

I'd love to do a convertable XJS with the AJ V8 supercharged engine....pipe dream...

Old 07-03-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
this is a superb effort, I just wish there were machine shops in the UK that could handle engineering tasks like this, there used be be hundreds of them 20 years ago, now its days on the phone just to find one...for instance, a custom torque converter, wtf! and those engine mounts are a thing of beauty!!

I'd love to do a convertable XJS with the AJ V8 supercharged engine....pipe dream...

Thanks man! Yeah, living in Southern California is a real privilege for car guys.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:14 PM

Next on the list of stuff to get this car on the right track:
paint and body, and a new sunroof!

I am really nervous about doing any body work on this car, in fact, I have never put a nice paint job on any of my vehicles. In the past I have sold my cars before they needed lots of money invested in paint and body, and then found a car that didn't need it. I have a few good contacts so I am going to get some quotes next week. We want to fill in the front fiberglass bumper on both sides, but leave a big opening for the intercooler. I think I am going to remove the rear bumper also, and fill the rear fiberglass bumper cover all the way across. That should clean up the look a lot, and also drop some more weight off the car.

There is a sunroof place in Newport Beach that specializes Jaguar, Porsche, Mercedes, and other higher end cars. They are going to pull the old sunroof and put in a more modern unit, along with a new headliner.
I just hope there isn't too much rust in the roof area, we found out that the old sunroof was leaking pretty badly. The first time we washed the car, it was like it was raining inside the Jag!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:56 AM
Received 194 Likes on 109 Posts

This is an amazing project you have going here! It really looks like you have been taking this ALL-THE-WAY! My '82 sat in Victorville, CA, in the desert heat for years before I bought it. (Lucky for me the paint survived unscathed) But as it sounds like on yours, (I don't have a sunroof) About every piece of rubber and the exterior needs to be replaced, so I would be very interested in a source for such parts as well. GREAT JOB!!!!

Old 07-08-2010, 02:04 AM

Thanks again for all the kind words!!!

I received my $75 headlight surround from eBay today. They said it was in "new condition", but I don't think new Jaguar parts usually come with 4 or 5 noticeable scratches in the chrome finish. I sent the dude a message tonight, so we will see if I can get a big discount or a full refund.

Hopefully the dash kit arrives in MUCH better shape.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:34 PM
pip

aweseome thread!!

im about to do the same swap ( once i get my mind wrapped around the order of things)

Old 07-11-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by pip
aweseome thread!!

im about to do the same swap ( once i get my mind wrapped around the order of things)
Cool! I have a 2JZGTE Aristo engine at my shop with your name on it!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 AM
pip

I grabbed a 2JZ out of a wrecked SC300.....thanks though

I would however grab a pair of those motor mounts if you are making any more...

plesae let me know!!

Old 08-22-2010, 07:46 PM

We just moved to a new shop, so the Jag sat in my back yard for the last month or so. Just a bit of an update on the car....

Got the new wheels, and test fitted them on the car! These wheels only come in 120mm lug pattern, and the Jag is 120.65mm, so just to be safe I had a place that does machining modify the hole pattern so they would fit properly. These wheels already have an unusually large 76mm center bore and low 20mm offset, which is needed to fit over the stupidly huge XJS front hubs. I think that with all the chrome trim on this car, the chrome mesh wheel is really going to look nice!!!

Name:  IMAG03041024x768.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  127.6 KB

Rear wheel sitting at ride heaght. I am going to lower the rear about an inch, and raise the front back up about an inch, to help level out the car.
Name:  IMAG03121024x768.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  122.4 KB

9.5" wide wheels on the back of a XJS?!? But wait, I read that only an 8" wheel would fit.
Name:  IMAG03031024x768.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  176.5 KB

Looks like my tape measure didn't lie!
Name:  IMAG03111024x768.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  117.8 KB

Last edited by Bigaaron; 08-28-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Received 194 Likes on 109 Posts

is the trip computer hooked up?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by ECBJAG
is the trip computer hooked up?
To be honest, I never even noticed if it worked, so I wouldn't miss it at all.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome build, I wish I had your skill and your shop. Of course if I had either, I would be shunned from this board and others for sticking newer 5.3 chevy in my Jag and a cummins in my Range Rover.

Last edited by ArmyJag; 08-23-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:46 PM

LOL thanks ArmyJag

New wheels were finally installed today with Nitto NT05 tires!
235/40/18 front, 265/35/18 rear. I lowered it about 3/4" in the back so now it sits exactly like I had envisioned when we started working on the car. I love the way the car looks so far, what a difference wheels make!

Name:  IMAG03351024x768.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  99.1 KB

Last edited by Bigaaron; 08-28-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Looking good, from a previous picture did you have to do any more mods to prevent the tyres rubbing on the inner edge at the rear?

Old 08-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jfrog
Is the 1JZ the stock motor for the Supra in your picture?

Yeah, it's nearly impossible to get a swap legal. I swapped out a D16 in a 96 Civic and stuck in an H22. I only got it registered because the guy who helped me had friends.
Way back when, I swapped a 68 Corvette 327 engine into a 72 Vega. It was when the smog laws had just started. It passed emissions as a V8, and even passed the legal amount of emissions for a 4 cyl, but nobody could figure out how to make it pass the tests as a V8 in a 4 cyl body.

I went to the referee, and he said he was not sure what to do since the laws did not exist yet on how to deal with that. I ended up having a "Friend" get it done for me for a few years, but then it became too hard to deal with, so I drove it to Oregon and sold it. Too bad, it was a fun toy to drive. Didn't turn for crap at high speed, but went straight really fast.

Quick Reply: Project 1990 XJS Rouge: 2JZ-GTE Engine Swap!