XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Pulled the Triger on a 1995 4.0L XJS, Black /Tan

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 09:28 AM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Pulled the Triger on a 1995 4.0L XJS, Black /Tan

After many many searches and years of Looking, FINALLY pulled the trigger on a 1995 4.0L Black and Tan Convertible with 72K Miles. Needless to say, I have not stopped smiling.
Its real beauty, Black paint is in excellent condition (for a 26yr Old), Chrome is like new, Sport alloy wheels are in good shape very little pitting on them, no Rust, solid all round. Known issues are 1) Fuel Gage will only read 1/4 full... when initially filled it will show 3/4 full, but then drops back to 1/4 or less on the gauge (Currently using the Trip gage as a indicator for fuel usage). 2) Pulls slightly to the right when braking (any help in this area? alignment issue?) 3) Needs a new set of tires(Scheduled to have a set of Michelins put on her this week), 4) Front Brake pads need to be replaced. 5) Driver Visor inboard retaining clip broken (is there a alternate clip that will work, or will I need to buy a Jag OEM clip?. 6) Tears on the Rear seat backside of the Headrests where the Soft-top has made contact during operation (Is this a common issue? Solution?). 7 Hood latch will not pop up fully, Hood needs to be helped up from the latch catch. 8) Hood insulator is detached in multiple areas and droops down, main circular 4" hood bracket/ washer is holding it up, side spring clips are there but not holding the insulator, any suggestions /recommendations? 9)Finally, there is no Tonneau cover, previous owner said he never had one, and has never needed one (Recommendations on any company that supplies a replacement? what was the original Tonneau cover Black as the Top, or Tan as the interior?)
Beside these issues, she's in great shape, the gentleman I bough it from had her for 21 years, and looked after her very well, I will be her 3rd Owner... excited to have may years of Driving and XJS ownership.

The following 6 users liked this post by ilfordboy:
BalmyOne (09-28-2021), Mkii250 (09-14-2021), Pendax7 (09-16-2021), Thorsen (09-13-2021), Timeisrelative (09-13-2021), Zogzog (09-14-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-13-2021, 12:31 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by ilfordboy
Known issues are 1) Fuel Gage will only read 1/4 full... when initially filled it will show 3/4 full, but then drops back to 1/4 or less on the gauge (Currently using the Trip gage as a indicator for fuel usage).
Replace the fuel sender (DAC11188), or you may have to replace the anti-slosh module (DAC7624).

2) Pulls slightly to the right when braking (any help in this area? alignment issue?)
Maybe alignment? Probably time to flush the brake fluids. If still a problem after that, maybe an ABS sensor.

3) Needs a new set of tires(Scheduled to have a set of Michelins put on her this week),
I guess you'll find out if the alignment helps!

4) Front Brake pads need to be replaced.
Might as well flush the brake fluid.

5) Driver Visor inboard retaining clip broken (is there a alternate clip that will work, or will I need to buy a Jag OEM clip?.
You should be able to buy the OEM clip. It will break again. I found that filling the clip assembly with epoxy solves that problem. I also added washers to the screw holding that clip in. That helped, but it just prolonged the inevitable. The epoxy fill has solved my problem permanently.

6) Tears on the Rear seat backside of the Headrests where the Soft-top has made contact during operation (Is this a common issue? Solution?).
Seems to be fairly common. Someone just didn't shove the back seats in all the way when working on something back there, or perhaps the guys on the assembly line we hungover that day.

7 Hood latch will not pop up fully, Hood needs to be helped up from the latch catch.
That's an odd one. There's a spring thats either tired, or perhaps there are catches that need to be adjusted. It's a very simple design. You should be able to figure that out.

8) Hood insulator is detached in multiple areas and droops down, main circular 4" hood bracket/ washer is holding it up, side spring clips are there but not holding the insulator, any suggestions /recommendations?
Get rid of it. It will destroy your cruise control bellows as well. There is a debate about whether that insulator is necessary. Many people go without, others use 3M #80 spray adhesive and apply a closed cell nitrile sheet, cut to match that crappy insulation you have now. I think 1/8" work, 3/16" will work too, after that, it might start to rub on things.

9)Finally, there is no Tonneau cover, previous owner said he never had one, and has never needed one (Recommendations on any company that supplies a replacement? what was the original Tonneau cover Black as the Top, or Tan as the interior?)
Tonneau cover should match the roof color....so black. You'll use it much less than you think. Not sure it's worth the expense.
I think I have fielded your issues.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 387 Posts

Later covers were interior colour. earlier seemed to be roof colour. Your car, your choice...

Old 09-13-2021, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,156 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!

Further to the really helpful comments from Vee & Malc, I'd just add a few thoughts:

- Check the anti-slosh module before you change the fuel tank sender. You can bypass it with a short wire between the input and output wires on the holder. If the gauge then reads full when it should, you have your answer.

- DO NOT let anyone push the pads back in the calipers without first opening the bleed nipple. You car uses the Teves ABS brake system. You must not push any fluid back to the abs valve block or it can have disastrous consequences. In the same vein, make sure you know how to bleed the brakes properly before changing fluid. It is not like a normal braking system!

- The small tear on the seat back corner is caused by a lack of tension in the rear window within the roof. The window tends to drop down as the roof is lowered and catches the back corner of the seat. Lean over and push the lower corner of the window back as you lower the roof until the window has cleared the seat back.

- The roof catches can be adjusted by a small nut. There are no springs within the catch mechanism. It is the roof tension that cause the roof to "pop up". so it might not be the catches at all?

- As mentioned, the roof cover would normally be the interior seat colour. I would definitely get one. If you drive around with the roof down (and you should do that all the time!) then you really want a cover as the airflow and roof design will mean that dust and grit gets blown into the folds of the roof and headlining. And with the cover in place, it really enhances the look of the car (imo!)

Good luck with the car!

Paul

Old 09-13-2021, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 851 Likes on 532 Posts

Tonneau cover should match the roof color....so black. You'll use it much less than you think. Not sure it's worth the expense.

That may be climate or usage dependent. My tonneau cover sees far more action than the top, because the top is almost never up (I only drive the beast on nice days), Without the tonneau, the car looks "a bit of a pram" as our friends in the UK might say. On a black car, I prefer a black tonneau because it blends in nicely, but I believe Paul is correct that the factory covers on the later cars matched the interior.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:00 PM
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Excellent purchase! Late 4.0 6cyl cars are very hard to find, as I'm sure your experience proves.
Pull under braking is NOT alignment, it's brakes. If you need to replace pads, be sure to check calipers as well. New pads should cure it.
Alignment needed will show on "uneven" wear of tire(s), most commonly fronts. Any good tire shop can verify if you have alignment issue just by slight.
Visor clips are all over the internet and cheap. Buy spares since they do break. The epoxy trick I haven't heard, but sounds like a good idea. Next break will try it out.
15+yrs my hood has never "popped" up. The release catch does just that...releases the hood. Refreshed hood struts may help. Be sure to buy the type that the driver-side strut "locks". That's the only thing that holds the 1000lb hood up, lol.
Tonneau covers are very enviromental and driver dependent. In AZ I use mine perhaps 9 months of the year with the rare exception of getting caught in the rain. (It stores in the trunk nicely for emergencies.) 3 months of summer it's just too damn hot! I agree black would be the choice since "the pram look" detracts from the overall gorgeous lines. Your choice.
Dave in AZ

Old 09-14-2021, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 627 Likes on 415 Posts

Nice car. Pics are not very good.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:13 PM

Thanks all... great feedback... Vee..really appreciate the detailed issues descriptions.. I have a few jobs to get me going, the Tires are getting fitted this week with Michelin Premier A/S 225/60R16 98H's... bit pricy, but the ratings are either 9 or 10 on all the tire characteristics, and i know she deserves new shoes.
Adding Epoxy to the visor clip sound like a great solution. Hood Latch seems to be corrected with a thorough clean up, old dried grease and dirt build up removed, plenty of WD40 applied, and small nut attaching to the cable tightened up seems to have done the trick.
Hood insulator is pulled off currently... found a company in Michigan, Hoodliner.net, that make a stick on liner (Apparently Aircraft firewall material), but that involves removing the hood to apply as its a bit tricky to apply in car position, plus you have to use 3M #80 Spray adhesive, which I am sure will go over everything close by in the engine bay. Product looks great with the Jaguar Logo... as Vee has stated, the droopy liner has made a small wear mark on the speed control bellows rubber housing, I think I may have caught it just in time before it wore a hole in the rubber boot. Surprisingly the underside of the hood cleaned up really well, I may just leave it off.
Thanks again for all the input.... will be getting the issues ticked off one at a time, but once the Tires and Pads have been replaced, its time to enjoy her for the next few months before the weather changes, don't want her to see any of that white stuff in winter.
Brewtech... better Pics attached.

The following 2 users liked this post by ilfordboy:
Greg in France (09-16-2021), Mkii250 (09-17-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 07:41 PM
Received 159 Likes on 117 Posts

Loose the leaper and replace with the proper growler.

The following 3 users liked this post by equiprx:
Mkii250 (09-17-2021), Some Day, Some Day (09-16-2021), Vee (09-16-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Wow! Looks expensive!

Old 09-16-2021, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,156 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Originally Posted by equiprx
Loose the leaper and replace with the proper growler.
Absolutely!!

Old 09-16-2021, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Normally, I do not like Leapers on the XJS; but that one, against the dark blue, and the almost horizontal angle it is set at, looks great!
Maybe it is the facelift/6 cylinder bonnet hump that allows it to look better? I have never seen on on the original V12 bonnet that looks right.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:04 AM

I knew the Leaper vs Growler was going to be a controversial subject, Purist vs Aesthetics, I personably am on the Aesthetic side and like the Leaper, it just makes the hood pop IMHO, and against the Black hood it really stands out, the people in person who have not liked it thus far I can count on 1 finger... where as nearly all the people I have chatted to about the Jag Love it , for me the Leaper is a keeper.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:31 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,234 Posts

I had one on my car for awhile, it started to look phallic and could never unsee that, so I replaced it with the growler and it just seems more appropriate on that car.

I think everyone loves the leaper itself. As to whether it enhances the car, I’m not so sure.

To each their own…

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Leapers look good on all Jags, but its has to be the smaller older versions. My X350 has one of the big ones and it looks like a grand Phallus its a must on Sedans. XJS looks best without it but why try to make everyone happy? Women love the sight of it, and some men are jealous of it. Enjoy the leaper, or when it comes down, enjoy the growler

Greg in France (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by ilfordboy
I knew the Leaper vs Growler was going to be a controversial subject, Purist vs Aesthetics, I personably am on the Aesthetic side and like the Leaper, it just makes the hood pop IMHO, and against the Black hood it really stands out, the people in person who have not liked it thus far I can count on 1 finger... where as nearly all the people I have chatted to about the Jag Love it , for me the Leaper is a keeper.

Do what you like. There are people out there with hideous cheap aftermarket crap on their cars, chrome fender wheel well trim , and aftermarket rims that make the car look like a circus wagon, but a Jaguar dealer installed leaper in a otherwise 100 percent stock car like mine or yours becomes the point of contention. Comical.

Greg in France (09-17-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 08:35 AM

My Leaper was installed by the Dealer from New, it was a Lady owner... so yes, its done very well... the underhood attachment is fitted properly with proper gaskets and stainless steel fasteners. The Leaper is the only item that is not original on her, defiantly none of that chrome fender wheel arches, and I plan to keep it that way (Maybe add a Bluetooth Audio, but right now I love having the Cassette tape in the dash, I have tapes from the 80's that have not seen the daylight for a long time, and have been digging thru them, came across some classic, Rolling Stones, Moody Blues, James Brown, Tina Turner, and T Rex, which I have not played on a tape deck for 25 yrs or more... they will all be getting a turn in the tape deck. Nothing like Mick belting out Brown Sugar with the top down.

The following 2 users liked this post by ilfordboy:
Bez74 (09-20-2021), Spikepaga (09-18-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 387 Posts

WOW Marc bolan. Those were the days.... best of glamrock