XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Radiator drain tap - how to open?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Radiator drain tap - how to open?

I would like to drain and replace the coolant. On my car ('85), there is a drain tap on the right hand side. See picture below.

I see the lever that is supposed to operate the drain tap. But I was not sure how to open it. The manual literally says the following: "Place a suitable receptacle beneath the radiator and open drain tap at right hand side." That's it.

I tried pushing the lever down. I tried pulling it up. Tried turning it. Does not go. At that point I decided to proceed cautiously and don't apply any more pressure fearing that it could result in irreversible damage.

So, how does one open the drain tap using the lever?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by v1rok
I would like to drain and replace the coolant. On my car ('85), there is a drain tap on the right hand side. See picture below.

I see the lever that is supposed to operate the drain tap. But I was not sure how to open it. The manual literally says the following: "Place a suitable receptacle beneath the radiator and open drain tap at right hand side." That's it.

I tried pushing the lever down. I tried pulling it up. Tried turning it. Does not go. At that point I decided to proceed cautiously and don't apply any more pressure fearing that it could result in irreversible damage.

So, how does one open the drain tap using the lever?

turn it. It can sometimes tighten up and may require a bit of force to turn.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:12 PM
Received 10,475 Likes on 6,918 Posts

As Baxtor said, but be careful at the same time.

They are a Brass tap, and a tapered spindle. They seize readily.

I replaced mine with a simple sump plug and washer.

The 2 I have have soaked in "stuff" for years, still do not turn, and I lost interest many years ago.

MEMORY??????, turn that handle towards the outside of the car.

If you force it too much it may, and I mean may, damage the boss in the radiator, and that will ruin your week.

Reach down the LH side of the radiator, or go from under the car, and drop the lower hose, again being careful not to drown in the rush of coolant.

Dont forget to drain the metal header tank on the LH inner guard, as it does NOT drain with the radiator.

Also pull the small vac hose off the heater tap, this will open the heater tap, and drain the heater system.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:31 PM

Ok, thanks. I will try turning outward, with a little bit more force than before. (Next weekend, as I packed for today.)

Looking at the picture, the bottom plate (loaded by the spring) appears to be already at 45 degrees. Is it normal? Should I do another 45 degree turn? Or full 90?

Old 07-17-2017, 12:03 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

The direction is correct, turn toward the outside fully. But first you should clean all the grease and gunk of from around the spigot, you could also use something like PB Blaster and soak the spigot a few times and let stand if needed overnight. that should or may loosen it up to turn, I also had to use a pair of pliers/vice grips (forget which one). If it doesn't feel like it is going to turn follow Grants advice on removing the lower hose. and don't forget to drain the overflow tank.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

An elaborate way to open a simple tap. Very Jaguar like.

But, whichever way the remote lever is moved is not going to open the internal orifice. It is plugged. Bar's, I'd guess.

Only one fix. Remove it and clear it or replace it with a simpler valve.

Carl

Old 07-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts

I concur. Just yank the whole thing out (it's surprisingly easy to do), take it to a competent radiator shop and have them weld in a simple valve.

It's also a good time to ditch the mechanically driven fan...and the sorry excuse for an electric fan...and replace it with some dual electrics. BUT...that wasn't your question :-)

Good luck with it.

John

1987 XJ-S V12

Old 07-17-2017, 07:52 PM

I am sure I will get to e-fan questions soon. But I am not quite there yet. But I will get there eventually...

So, I sense some apprehension towards the "the tuxedo drain tap". Maybe I should go straight to lower radiator hose without even bothering with the drain tap? Don't want to end in a situation where excess pressure or some awkward move will require me pulling the whole radiator out to repair the damaged drain tap.

Are there success stories from folks who keep using the tuxedo drain tap to discharge coolant, time after time after time...?

Old 07-17-2017, 11:41 PM

I went Efans in 1994, and keep forgetting how easy that bottom hose is to get at.

My Ford fans simply lift out as a twin package, and I can get to anything. Hence the sump plug in place of the tuxedo tap.

Good luck.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

I have the drain on my 1966 S Type and it works. I think it opens much like a kitchen faucet, can't remember if it's a 1/4 or half turn.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
I have the drain on my 1966 S Type and it works. I think it opens much like a kitchen faucet, can't remember if it's a 1/4 or half turn.
Is it the same design as in XJS?

Anybody with XJS still using the tuxedo drain tap on a regular basis?

Old 07-18-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Originally Posted by v1rok
Is it the same design as in XJS?
Sure looks the same!

Old 07-22-2017, 10:24 PM

Ok. Today I successfully (knock on wood) turned the drain tap and drained the coolant. (I first soaked it in WD40, after that it turned easily.)

Now that I have tried it, the name really fits, I think. It is indeed a tuxedo coolant drain type. Bond could do it while wearing a tuxedo (and making our with a girl, at the same time)

Old 07-23-2017, 05:28 AM

HA,

And the pictures of said girl whilst you drained the radiator are WHERE??????.

Well done just the same.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:08 PM

No girl was present this time. But I will try to lure her next time to witness exciting process of radiator draining

I do have a picture of the coolant after draining. Yikes. All dirty and brownish. And I was driving with it.