XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Radio Code Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Code Help

I just got my title to my 1988 Jaguar the the radio needed to have the code entered. I took the title to my local Jaguar dealer and got the code. They gave me the code that has two 6's in it. The problem is there is no 6's on the radio. I called them back and they said they would look into it but they don't think they can help. Does anyone know what direction I should proceed to get the radio to work?
The radio model is AJ8700.
There was no manual with the car when I bought it and the sticker under the bonnet is mostly missing.
Thank You.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:39 AM

Hi
I got a new radio code from the dealer and when I enter it all it does is beep at me after I enter the code. Nothing has changed. Is there a procedure to enter the code? I do not have the manuals for the car.
Thanks,

Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,895 Likes on 7,163 Posts

I wonder if it's the original radio?

Does the display screen show "Locked" or "Code" or similar?

There's no trick to entering the code: key on, radio on, and voilá.....that should be it. After 3 false attempts you have to wait an hour before trying again, which shouldn't be needed with the correct code.

I *think* the codes are also available according to radio serial number. That might be worth a try. Can't hurt to ask the dealer although I have to wonder if Jaguar still archives such info after 25 years.

Lastly, try "24255". If it works, don't ask any questions.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-10-2012, 01:50 PM

I gave the dealer the cars VIN number, the radio SN, and radio's model number. The first response they gave me had a 6 in the number. The radio doesn't have a 6 on the panel. They called Jaguar again and gave me a different number. It still says "code". I am fairly sure it is the original radio. I will try your number. They said if it didn't work that I would need a new radio. Where would I get that? From them?
Thank you

Old 07-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I've already replied to another thread you had on this....I remember the 6's. But just in case you missed it, I'll repost here.

Have you checked under the bonnet (bonnet??? damn jag's got me talkin' like a Brit, now) or hood for any numbers scrawled in paint marker? Everytime you disconnect the battery, you have to reenter the unlock code for the radio. Lots of techs would write the code somewhere under the bonnet so when the car returned at a later date for further service they didn't have to go through the whole thing of looking up the code or looking for the literature in the glove box to find it. My '92 had it, I was just lucky I noticed it before I proceeded to remove the radio to get the S/N.

Did the radio have anything scrawled on it? I've heard of codes being written on the radio on other's cars. Not sure, but the only reason I could think of it is if the radio was replaced at some point. Maybe if the donor car was scrapped at a salvage yard and they wrote it on before they shelved it for sale. Not sure what the proceedure would have been if it was replaced at the dealer.

If you got to replace the radio, I'd just go aftermarket. Probably better quality at less $$. Unless you just got to have the factory unit, maybe you can find a used one online or ebay. Just get some kind of guarantee that it'll work and come with a working code. I imagine some places just rip out working units and have no idea that it won't work without a code when reinstalled.

howlinowl

Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a previous thread about the radio code for the AJ8700. There's a post with an image of the page from the manual about the procedure to enter the code. Seems to be pretty straightforward, but you can take a peek at it and see if you're entering it correctly.

howlinowl

Edit: forgot the link.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-32/radio-55242/

Old 07-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know if the locations changed year to year, but they used to write the code in chalk, or something on some of the interior panels, or on the back of the trunk (boot) carpeted side panels.

Dave
Atlanta

Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I just bought a 2007 S-type & need to dis-connect the battery cables so I sent an em to Jag in the USA about obtaining the code. They will e-mail the correct code to you IF:
- you send them the VIN
- you fax them a copy of the ownership & your license

I sent my info yesterday & should have the code today.
Good luck