XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Rear Cage - 84XJSV12

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Hi Greg

only one shaft needed pressing out, was not there when they did it..... however i had set the the bub on my bench and left a well of penetrene on the out board side of the spline over night ... the hub then would need to be set up in the press so the innner splin - shaft is sitting vertical in the press....so the hub will need to be packed level .... hard wood or metal would do... feed back from the fella that did this was that he did apply heat ... but only concentrate the heat on the outer spline while you have the hub in the press under pressure, if it gets to hot and the heat transfers toi the inner spline you may have to wait for it to cool and have another shot at it. I think i mentioned it in my wirite up .... rust was the cause not locktite .... i carefully cleaned the inner and outer splines with a suitable file until the splines slid freely .... then used lashings of anti seize on assembly.

as for the outer splines they can be set up on wood or steel if in the press .... they will come out easily (should) as it is the press fit of the inner race on the bearing on the outer shaft holding it in ..... if you are going to do this with a hammer and dolly set it up on a bench supperted by some hard wood on the outer side of the hub ....a press is easier, safer etc etc ....!

as for the uni joints ....i have posted a picture of the new toyo uni joints i installed.... these go so in easy... pls get a picture of the exiting ones you have in there know showing the grease nipple ... i will advise if they are the same as the ones i had to push out, it is the raised section ( if it has one) where the nipple goes in that causes all the grief.

all good.

Darren

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (11-12-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 09:18 PM

All done for now .....

The mistress was back on the road a few days ago and there is a definite benefit in fitting the sway bar ...... the whole ride is different when cornering ...... less body roll when cornering and a gentle but positive return when coming out of the corner ..... recommend this improvement.

I purchased the trailing arms and sway bar as well as the new bushing from Jag Daim about 12 months age ..... I was advised the trailing arms and sway bar came out of an earlier pre HE ..... dia of the sway bar is .... 15mm.

Still looking at the removal of the shims for the rear camber suggested by Greg.

Some other comments on the rebuild

…. Something to be said for the “humble milk crate “…. did the whole rebuild on this while it was on a trolley, easy to move around and the right height to work on … when the time came it rolled in from the side …. trolley jack went under the trolley the crate was sitting on and only had to lift this a few inches and all was good and the bolts went it…. No juggling act at all. I have posted this pic before .. but again here for clarity.

Remote bleeders …. DO NOT …. Install these as I originaly posted … they clash with the exhaust flanges …. I wanted to move them further out but did not have enough length …. so as per the attached pic … as originally suggested by Greg in France. More work to do on the bracket and one more hose clamp for the left hose … but otherwise all good and well worth the effort.

......... thanks for all of the input and advice .... any other quieries or comments are welcome.

all good

Darren

The following 2 users liked this post by darrhel:
Doug (11-14-2019), ptjs1 (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,330 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Darren
Superb job, we must add the milk crate to the JD xxx official Jaguar tools list! Though I would think that The Great XJS Prophet of the Southern Cross (turns south-east and bows deeply) would recommend a beer crate!

One tiny point, the exhaust flange looks from the last pic as if one of its points is pointing towards the subframe. If it is, and it is less than an inch clear, loosen and turn it a few degrees to give a touch extra clearance. The exhaust moves quite a bit relative to the subframe amd moves once the weight is on the wheels.

But congratulations, again, top job!

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
darrhel (11-14-2019), Grant Francis (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:39 AM

.... thanks for the tech advice on the beer crate ... we will let Grant chime in on this one .... will do on the exhaust flange.

The following 2 users liked this post by darrhel:
Grant Francis (11-14-2019), Greg in France (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 02:52 AM
Received 10,517 Likes on 6,947 Posts

HAHAHAHA.

Any crate will do, as long as I can sit down and take the weight off the one good leg. Of course a beer crate is better, AFTER the contents have been duly taken care of.

I agree on that exhaust, they will clout anything back there withing 2", and especially the bleed nipples on the original set up, but you would have **** loads of room with those Banjo's, so that alone is worth 3 beers, I will start NOW, just returned from retail therapy, oh dear.

Bloody good job all round, well done.

The following users liked this post:
darrhel (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,094 Likes on 2,042 Posts

Darren.

Lovely job, well done!

I met the guys from Fosseway at the Classic Car Show last week and saw their remote bleeder setup. I think it needs to go on my shopping list for my pre-HE!

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
darrhel (11-14-2019), Greg in France (11-14-2019)