XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Rear Quarter Window Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021 | 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
lmaoo, but you bodging up your car is perfectly fine, huh?
You need to check a dictionary. Look up bodge and modification.

Old 07-01-2021 | 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Timeisrelative
Maybe it is, and I'd love to just get new motors and do it "right", but seeing as how the motors have been nla for at least a couple of years and it's kind of a crap shoot to just buy a bunch of motors and "see" which ones might work. I did see that the one Mercedes window motor is supposed to work, but last I saw was a minimum of $400 each, I would rather not blow that much just to see if they'll work. By all means, if you know of a motor that would be plug and play for a reasonable price, I'll gladly buy them and put them in my car just for you, just to give you that warm fuzzy feeling inside lol. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing your post in a few years when yours start acting up. 😁😁
I have a pair of used standard units I can sell you.

Old 07-01-2021 | 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

Will disabling the neutral safety switch in the shifter create an opening for one to mistakenly go to crank the engine while the care is in D, R or the numbered gears? Or, the other, drive with the ebrake on...? I worry about stuff like that.

Old 07-01-2021 | 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Thats why i have the push switch under the arm rest. It only disconnects the safety feature while pressed and the rear windows are free to operate.

And yes, from new ive had problems with the rear windows not going back up, usualy when its going to rain. I use my window adaption to just nudge the windows up a 1/2" from full down. So far that works......

Last edited by malc4d; 07-01-2021 at 09:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by malc4d:
petemohr (07-01-2021), Timeisrelative (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021 | 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Will disabling the neutral safety switch in the shifter create an opening for one to mistakenly go to crank the engine while the care is in D, R or the numbered gears? Or, the other, drive with the ebrake on...? I worry about stuff like that.
You don't disable the neutral switch you just disconnect the signal from having an effect on the roof. It still works as intended regarding cranking.

The following users liked this post:
Timeisrelative (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021 | 09:43 AM

If you want to do this window modification it seems very simple, you certainly don't need another complete relay block.

Attached are details of the mod I would recommend. It keeps all original wiring intact and the original auto function of the roof/window combination but it also allows you additional manual operation the windows. Very easy for you to test with a pin and a ground cable, as I did. As the output from the convertible roof module is 'open collector' type both the momentary switch and the module can energize the relays. If you don't want the auto function just disconnect the LGW and LGG wires in the convertible module connector. Don't hold the switch down too long after windows fully up or down as the motor stall current is high. That is why Jaguar did it the way they did. Hope this helps. Note: this does not remove neutral switch/handbrake interlock. Any comments/criticisms gratefully received.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XJS rear windows mod PH.pdf (312.0 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by kansanbrit; 07-01-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-01-2021 | 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Jeeeeze folks...

Respectfully,,,, how did this become a pissing contest???

​​​​​
As a guy who is not as proficient or comfortable with these sorts of things (I am trying to learn here) I am ONLY asking for a play by play on how to do it...

Understandably, folks have their own ideas of what's BEST, ok, but just lay your way out there and let folks decide for themselves which way to go. Jus keep it real...

Old 07-01-2021 | 10:36 AM

Jeeeeze folks...

Respectfully,,,, how did this become a pissing contest???

​​​​​
As a guy who is not as proficient or comfortable with these sorts of things (I am trying to learn here) I am ONLY asking for a play by play on how to do it...

Understandably, folks have their own ideas of what's BEST, ok, but just lay your way out there and let folks decide for themselves which way to go. Jus keep it real...
That is what I tried to tell you in the above post. Can't make it much easier. Did you even look at it? There is always more than one way to do any job. It sounds to me like you might want to consider paying an auto-electrician to do it for you.

Last edited by kansanbrit; 07-01-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-01-2021 | 11:49 AM
|

Jeeeeze folks...
I am ONLY asking for a play-by-play on how to do it....
I agree that some of the responses might be a bit harsh but the info in them is correct.
As you stated there are many ways to do this and all the info you need is in these posts.
Asking for play-by-play like "connect wire a to wire b" is asking a bit much.
It's a very simple circuit and If you can't figure it out from what has been posted I agree with the other poster that suggested you get someone that understands electronics to do the job, Hooking things up incorrectly can do some serious damage.

Old 07-01-2021 | 01:32 PM
Default Simple setup

I just bought new window switches and harness from our buddies in China! They actually make a set for about $12.00! Ran the supplied wires under the back seat and spliced directly to the motors. No clue why anyone would make a kit like this but, they do. I removed the useless a/c vents at the rear of the console to mount the switches.

I think the Chinese supplier was AliExpess.com

There ya’’ go! Only $9.03 with free shipping

Last edited by Lagunillero; 07-01-2021 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Adding supplier
Old 07-01-2021 | 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by petemohr
I agree that some of the responses might be a bit harsh but the info in them is correct.
As you stated there are many ways to do this and all the info you need is in these posts.
Asking for play-by-play like "connect wire a to wire b" is asking a bit much.
It's a very simple circuit and If you can't figure it out from what has been posted I agree with the other poster that suggested you get someone that understands electronics to do the job, Hooking things up incorrectly can do some serious damage.
Hmm. Usually I would just shush and maybe unsubscribe from a thread once it got like this or, try not to respond to the,,,, well.... Anyways,,,,

For me, the purpose, value, gift of these forums is to go from where I was just over 4yrs ago,,, a guy who had never even sat in a a Jaguar, to now being a guy who owns 3! Yup, 3! I value, enjoy, need the sharing of experience, skill and information that goes on in DIY forums. All kinds. Also helps with the 35yo 928 that sat for years, and a 34yo bike that I found in need of love... The XJS had no floors or seats when I found it...

I found a very nice (and expensive) vintage fan on the streets of NYC the other day. I found a fan forum,,, got some WONDERFUL play by plays,,, this wire to that wire,,, from a guy (3 actually) who were willing to offer the wisdom and experience freely and without making me feel bad because to them it was "simple" . Actually, its why they were there. Like us, they are enthusiast, and, enthusiastic to give play by plays to the novice and those asking for help and,,,,

One of the three Jaguars that now own ME, I drove into work today, for I think the 3rd or 4th time ever. This car, when I found it, an 04 SC XKR, had been underwater (in a lake that expands at certain times of year, lol) and sat (transmission full of water) accumulating even more issues for several years... Today, I drove it. Thanks to tons of play by plays from guys I've never and probably will never meet. I would like to say I did it myself, but that would be dishonest. I did with the help, support and guidance of others. Which I personally think is awesome.

Calling something simple, because one finds it "simple" is (at least) shortsighted, IMHO. In the world of teaching, learning and experience what is SIMPLE to one is not always so to others. Hence, educational environments around the globe.

I asked a few very specific questions to prepare myself to try this and post after post only answered one for me,,, that there are some serious egos running around here. And I don't enjoy that. So, after this I will unsubscribe from this thread and go find the simple information some other where.

SO,,, be good, be well, keep it lite and keep it real...

Last edited by JayJagJay; 07-01-2021 at 01:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
dmscheckel (07-01-2021), Timeisrelative (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021 | 02:53 PM

You just can't help some people I guess.