XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Rear Toe is Out of Spec

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
Warrjon,

I think so. The two alignments, even though they carry differing numbers, still consistently claim a big difference between the right and left rear wheels, for both camber and toe.

I'm not sure it can be corrected, easily. There does not seem to be any way to adjust the toe on the rear wheels without doing some major bending, and then it'll be a total crap shoot as to how much I need!

I think I'll attempt to adjust the rear camber and see what happens.
Rear castor adjustment must have only been released on the XJ40 there is an eccentric on the lower control arm fulcrum shaft on the hub carriers I have. These fit the XJS except the XJ40 fulcrum shaft is thinner.

How are your wheel bearings?

Old 10-27-2016, 10:14 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Have not considered it, but the rims are far from showroom quality. It very well could be the issue.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Vee,

A random thought but have you considered if your right rear wheel is fractionally out of true? That could cause a simultaneous change of both camber and toe if the wheel is out of true and then slightly rotated from its previous position from when the readings were last taken.

Good luck

Paul

Old 10-27-2016, 10:15 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
Rear castor adjustment must have only been released on the XJ40 there is an eccentric on the lower control arm fulcrum shaft on the hub carriers I have. These fit the XJS except the XJ40 fulcrum shaft is thinner.

How are your wheel bearings?
I've tried to pull on the wheel when jacked up in the air, and I feel no wobble at any angle, so I think they're ok.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
I've tried to pull on the wheel when jacked up in the air, and I feel no wobble at any angle, so I think they're ok.
If there is no play in output shaft bearings or universal joints it is possible for everything to appear ok when pulled on but still have bad hub bearings. You need to try to move the wheel in relation to the hub carrier. ie restrain one and move the other.
Not saying it is the case here but a quick shake check can be deceptive.